Car / Driving / Hands free Mode

BB Markk

Sep 14, 2015
Visit site
I used Car / Driving / Hands free Mode occasionally on my Samsung Galaxy S4. Went looking for it on the Note 5, as you are likely aware, didn't find it.

What are you all using as a substitute?

Am going to look into screen mirroring, as I've got a new-to-me 2013 Audi A5.

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I used Car / Driving / Hands free Mode occasionally on my Samsung Galaxy S4. Went looking for it on the Note 5, as you are likely aware, didn't find it.

What are you all using as a substitute?

Am going to look into screen mirroring, as I've got a new-to-me 2013 Audi A5.

Welcome to Android Central!

You can find the CarMode app in the Galaxy app store. I believe it is the same one that was on the S4.

jregan68

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
I use an app available in the play store called car home ultra. It has the ability to customize the different screens. Lots of great features. Not free but worth the small amount.

Posted via the Android Central App

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I've posted recently on this topic and there is a frightening lack of apps on this front.

I just tried Samsung's Car Mode based on the response earlier in this thread. I used it this AM and it's being uninstalled as we speak. It appears that the app assumes you cannot use your phone for anything else - you're driving right? I get it. But when the app starts up with my car's BT connection the moment I start my car, it keeps me from doing the few things I want to do before I pull out of my drive - like selecting a netcast or audiobook to listen to. Plus, S Voice, which needed to be reenabled for this app to work, is so freakin' slow it's basically useless.

I've tried all the front-runner apps and nothing has worked for me yet. The app "Agent" was stellar - for years now - but it's broken and the Dev is not responsive. Bummer.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Give DriveMode or DrivePro a try. Great interface

Thanks for the suggestions.

DrivePro wants to connect to a camera. Drive Pro is a different, but related app, but it's much like the other "dashboard dock" apps - not what I want.

DriveMode however came a lot closer, although it needs to work out lots of kinks. The biggest "kink" I found in using it for one day is that it nearly drained my battery dry. Amazing. I've never seen a single - non-system app/service need that much power particularly when it's not "in use", as far as I can tell. It's either a badly designed app or a trojan app doing nefarious things. Either way, it's gone.

Fiery_WA

Jun 19, 2015
Visit site
I have an old car (20 years), still going strong, as I will soon be driving from the East Coast of Australia back home to the West Coast 3,420.8 km or 2125.587 miles.

I invested in a little app that will allow me take, make calls, and also send text messages using voice Assistant (Siri Alternative), as I also have a Navman that has a louder speaker, so I'm looking forward to seeing how it works (where there is mobile reception) lol

BB Markk

Sep 14, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central!

You can find the CarMode app in the Galaxy app store. I believe it is the same one that was on the S4.

Thanks. I'm a infrequent browser, and have found AC to have users full of great information.

I checked out mentioned apps, wasn't 100% ready to jump in on a non OEM app quite yet. I'll revisit the idea, as it seems there isn't a native app.

I use an app available in the play store called car home ultra. It has the ability to customize the different screens. Lots of great features. Not free but worth the small amount.

Posted via the Android Central App

Thank you. I'll check that out, and with the Google Survey credits, should be able to make the purchase with no out of pocket expense, if needed.

I've posted recently on this topic and there is a frightening lack of apps on this front.

I just tried Samsung's Car Mode based on the response earlier in this thread. I used it this AM and it's being uninstalled as we speak. It appears that the app assumes you cannot use your phone for anything else - you're driving right? I get it. But when the app starts up with my car's BT connection the moment I start my car, it keeps me from doing the few things I want to do before I pull out of my drive - like selecting a netcast or audiobook to listen to. Plus, S Voice, which needed to be reenabled for this app to work, is so freakin' slow it's basically useless.

I've tried all the front-runner apps and nothing has worked for me yet. The app "Agent" was stellar - for years now - but it's broken and the Dev is not responsive. Bummer.

Thanks. I'm a fan of using the phone in the car (not while actually driving) and that would bother me too.

Give DriveMode or DrivePro a try. Great interface

Thanks. Adding to the list :)

Thanks for the suggestions.

DrivePro wants to connect to a camera. Drive Pro is a different, but related app, but it's much like the other "dashboard dock" apps - not what I want.

DriveMode however came a lot closer, although it needs to work out lots of kinks. The biggest "kink" I found in using it for one day is that it nearly drained my battery dry. Amazing. I've never seen a single - non-system app/service need that much power particularly when it's not "in use", as far as I can tell. It's either a badly designed app or a trojan app doing nefarious things. Either way, it's gone.

UGH. Was hoping for a better review.

I have an old car (20 years), still going strong, as I will soon be driving from the East Coast of Australia back home to the West Coast 3,420.8 km or 2125.587 miles.

I invested in a little app that will allow me take, make calls, and also send text messages using voice Assistant (Siri Alternative), as I also have a Navman that has a louder speaker, so I'm looking forward to seeing how it works (where there is mobile reception) lol

I have used an assistant app, didn't consider installing one with OK GOOGLE available. That may be an option.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech