08-28-2016 12:29 PM
801 ... 1314151617 ...
tools
    Just because Google has announced android version N doesn't mean any device will be seeing it soon. This year's update is later than what it has been on previous Note phones with Att. From my experience, we won't see Android N on this device or Note 6 until around this time next year.
    06-03-2016 12:01 AM
    Since the version that sideloaders are using is not OTA it is thus unauthorized software and to put it on your phone will void the warranty.
    The sideloaded releases are downloaded from AT&T's servers and accepted by the phone, which then continues to show its Device Status as "Official". I don't think we have any idea whether AT&T would try to construe that as "unauthorized software", or whether they'd succeed if they tried.
    06-03-2016 07:34 AM
    If the Note 6 is not shipping with N I will not be buying it in Oct/Nov. There is no way I'm getting it and waiting 6-9 months for N! A couple of you won't agree with this but I don't care! This is utterly ridiculous.
    06-03-2016 08:49 AM
    Thanks for answering. Are you using the built in Samsung fonts or did you download your own? I download .ttf files from fontspace.com and install them with the iFont app. I'm hoping I can still do it when/if I get the MM update.
    I was able to test it, and you're right. The font can be installed, but when you set it the message is that the font is not supported, and you would need root to use it. You can, however, install a number of fonts from the Galaxy Apps store, although most of those are not free.
    06-03-2016 12:35 PM
    If the Note 6 is not shipping with N I will not be buying it in Oct/Nov.
    It won't be. The N version is still in beta.
    dakini03 likes this.
    06-03-2016 01:20 PM
    It won't be. The N version is still in beta.
    This, unfortunately.

The next Note is already reaching it's final stage. Samsung is releasing it in August, so the thing is probably almost ready for final production... on 6.0.1. Even if Google got N source to partners a little bit early this time, Samsung takes SOOOOOO long to finally get something out there, the only realistic hope I think is that the Note will get N before the end of the year. On launch? That would take a minor miracle.
    Almeuit, dakini03 and dpham00 like this.
    06-03-2016 01:30 PM
    I don't see carrier version of the next note getting N this year... Highly unlikely
    Almeuit likes this.
    06-03-2016 01:36 PM
    I agree I don't believe N will come on the Not6/7. By then "O"will be out lol.

Posted via the Android Central App
    06-03-2016 07:09 PM
    Where do you guys suggest I download the Marshmallow file from? There are a ton of forums on XDA, can you provide a link to the right one? The one I downloaded the other day was corrupt and put me back on 5.1.1.
    Thanks guys

06-03-2016 11:02 PM
    I agree I don't believe N will come on the Not6/7. By then "O"will be out lol.

"O" will get released about the same time AT&T puts Marshmallow out on the Note 5. Quite the optimist, ain't I???...lol
    Versed likes this.
    06-04-2016 12:20 AM
    If the Note 6 is not shipping with N I will not be buying it in Oct/Nov. There is no way I'm getting it and waiting 6-9 months for N! A couple of you won't agree with this but I don't care!
    It's not that we "disagree" with your move away from the Note. It's like your choice of breakfast food--it just doesn't concern us. But since you bring it up, I'm curious what your reasoning is. Do you prize the bragging rights of having the latest OS? Or does Android N have specific features that are so important to you that they outweigh all hardware advantages that the Note 6 might have?
    06-04-2016 05:12 AM
    Where do you guys suggest I download the Marshmallow file from? There are a ton of forums on XDA, can you provide a link to the right one? The one I downloaded the other day was corrupt and put me back on 5.1.1.
    Thanks guys

These are the instructions I followed and the file I downloaded. Have been running this MM for a couple weeks now and it's been running great, not a single issue. I find it pretty strange that AT&T hasn't officially launched this yet.

Update to Marshmallow 6.0.1 Step by Step | AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note5
    bbqwings2 likes this.
    06-04-2016 09:01 AM
    It's a good thing I guess for waiting. I've looked at many MM threads and most are having horrible issues with the new MM.
    We see what we want to see. There are no significant, commonly repeatable issues with MM. Things you see on forums are the exceptions generally, and they seem more common than they are in reality. How many people run up onto the forums that their device is working awesome... but drop your wifi once and there will be a 100 reply thread about it. 99% of the issues with any android OS boils down to 3 factors. Defective device, users wanting the OS to do something it was never designed to do, and most commonly, an app caused issue, wrongly blamed on the OS.
    Versed likes this.
    06-04-2016 09:38 AM
    It's not that we "disagree" with your move away from the Note. It's like your choice of breakfast food--it just doesn't concern us. But since you bring it up, I'm curious what your reasoning is. Do you prize the bragging rights of having the latest OS? Or does Android N have specific features that are so important to you that they outweigh all hardware advantages that the Note 6 might have?
    The Note 5 has just been a mix for me. Battery life has been inconsistent from day to day literally. And this has nothing to do with settings or app downloads. I love the sPen but I am to the point where I'd rather have a phone I can count on.

I hear of this Doze feature in MM probably 8-9 months ago and wonder could that be the ticket? But 8-9 months later I'm still waiting to find out. Yes I've heard from others that Doze isn't all that but that has only been in the past month or so.

So yes I'm pretty sure that it is time for me to research phones so that come October when my NEXT contract is up that I can try something new be it Android or Apple.
    06-04-2016 09:51 AM
    To be honest, I can't remember what features come with Marshmallow that's how disinterested I am in the update. My Note 5 works awesome. I have zero complaints.
    tlo07 likes this.
    06-04-2016 10:26 AM
    @Roguefoxx
    That was the one that I used the other day, however the file was corrupt and it took me back to 5.1.1. I downloaded the correct build, N920AUCS2APE3, I know because I checked in settings. If I redownload and try it again do you think it might work this time?

06-04-2016 10:31 AM
    The Note 5 has just been a mix for me. Battery life has been inconsistent from day to day literally. And this has nothing to do with settings or app downloads.
    Makes sense. But MM's Doze is probably way less important than having Deep Sleep (already in 5.1.1) work properly. Some apps are known to thwart it. Have you tried using CPU Spy to confirm that your phone is deep-sleeping most of the time when it's idle? That made a huge difference for me.
    06-04-2016 12:52 PM
    You know. ... I wouldn't mind it so much if AT&T would simply acknowledge that they're the last and give a simple reasoning. Something like "we've found some bugs (insert list) that we've fixed in the new release and should be done with testing by (insert date)." Rather than totally ignore the issue. No, I'm not one of those who want the update simply for the update or to have the latest and greatest.. I got a Bluetooth bug I'd love to fix before I have to resort to sending my phone to the shop.

salscott and cheburashka like this.
    06-04-2016 02:19 PM
    Makes sense. But MM's Doze is probably way less important than having Deep Sleep (already in 5.1.1) work properly. Some apps are known to thwart it. Have you tried using CPU Spy to confirm that your phone is deep-sleeping most of the time when it's idle? That made a huge difference for me.
    Downloading it now.
    06-04-2016 02:23 PM
    You know. ... I wouldn't mind it so much if AT&T would simply acknowledge that they're the last and give a simple reasoning. Something like "we've found some bugs (insert list) that we've fixed in the new release and should be done with testing by (insert date)." Rather than totally ignore the issue. No, I'm not one of those who want the update simply for the update or to have the latest and greatest.. I got a Bluetooth bug I'd love to fix before I have to resort to sending my phone to the shop.

That actually may be a hardware issue. I know a lot of people who own an AT&T Note 5 and not a single one has any issues with their bluetooth

Posted via the AT&T Note 5
    06-04-2016 04:26 PM
    I got a Bluetooth bug I'd love to fix before I have to resort to sending my phone to the shop.
    What's the Bluetooth bug (and why would Marshmallow fix it)?
    06-04-2016 04:26 PM
    What's the Bluetooth bug (and why would Marshmallow fix it)?
    My Bluetooth has very short range. There were some threads months ago where various people/various carriers have had the exact problem. Some were solved by repair (replace mother board) Some were fixed by updates to MM. The list was about 50/50. I figure update on SW is easier than a mother board replacement. There were quite a few threads and conversations about it.
    I've been experimenting and there is a slight possibility that it might be my headset crapping out. Easy stuff first. What made me start thinking it might be headset is I just got a 2016 Silverado and I don't seem to have the same decreased range with it.

06-04-2016 04:55 PM
    My Bluetooth has very short range. There were some threads months ago where various people/various carriers have had the exact problem. Some were solved by repair (replace mother board) Some were fixed by updates to MM. The list was about 50/50.
    Thanks, I hadn't experienced that or heard about it.
    06-04-2016 05:40 PM
    My Bluetooth has very short range. There were some threads months ago where various people/various carriers have had the exact problem. Some were solved by repair (replace mother board) Some were fixed by updates to MM. The list was about 50/50. I figure update on SW is easier than a mother board replacement. There were quite a few threads and conversations about it.
    I've been experimenting and there is a slight possibility that it might be my headset crapping out. Easy stuff first. What made me start thinking it might be headset is I just got a 2016 Silverado and I don't seem to have the same decreased range with it.

I had that same issue with very short range on my Beats bluetooth headset, and it would cut out frequently to the point that I gave up using them, but haven't had the issue since I've updated to MM. I've seen a few other reports as well where people had the same issue and MM fixed it.
    06-04-2016 06:36 PM

It is not your headset, it is the phone. I had the same issue and the vehicle Bluetooth worked perfect. I was going to wait for MM, but sent it in and they replaced the board. Glad I did since MM update on AT&T is taking forever. I love my Note 5, but it does make me miss having a Nexus.
    06-04-2016 09:01 PM
801 ... 1314151617 ...