08-28-2016 12:29 PM
801 ... 1718192021 ...
tools
    Backup and restore via Samsung and Google accounts seems to be much more thorough than SmartSwitch. I think SmartSwitch is mostly useful for those people who still store data primarily on their phone instead of in the cloud.
    jimd1050 likes this.
    06-11-2016 07:18 PM
    I never stated the reps would know or care about the difference between 5.1 and 6.0. I just said the Note 5 won't still be on 5.1 in October. Another user stated he is downgrading his Note 5 to 5.1 because he is trading in his Note 5 in October and he believes the Note 5 will still be on 5.1.

Posted via the AT&T Note 5
    That was me and it was supposed to be funny. Well it is funny but sometimes posts are misunderstood (not by you Dominick079, you responded back in jest).

My point was that if the Note 5 is still on 5.1.1 (and that would be ashamed but at this point who knows) then rather than get asked about my 6.0.1 version, I'll just flash it back to 5.1.1.

Granted I'm betting that AT&T will have pushed out 6.0.1 by then since that is 4 months away but if they don't wouldn't that be funny to have a lot of people trading up for the Note 6 and turning in Note 5s on Marshmallow while AT&T is still selling them on Lollipop!

Now that would be freaking hilarious!
    06-12-2016 07:34 AM
    Following the instructions exactly and still will not read the downloaded marshmallow file. Anybody else have this problem?
    For easy I renamed the downloaded MM folder to MM.zip so I would make mistakes typing in the long name.

But since yours isn't reading it please make sure that when you download it that you don't click the open button at the bottom of the browser window. Don't click any of them as all you want is it to be downloaded. That was my mistake and it was doing what you are describing.
    06-12-2016 07:43 AM
    I have everything I think I need to side load I'm curious has anyone done this on Ubuntu Linux? The instructions are for Windows. Which I could follow but i would like to avoid doing that(my windows is literally 3x as slow as my Linux at most everything.)

Posted via my AT&T Note 5
    06-12-2016 06:56 PM
    I have everything I think I need to side load I'm curious has anyone done this on Ubuntu Linux? The instructions are for Windows. Which I could follow but i would like to avoid doing that(my windows is literally 3x as slow as my Linux at most everything.)

I tried on Ubuntu 16.04. It failed on me, and I haven't figured out why. Until I can, I don't dare try again (you know...the whole definition of insanity thing).

But the commands were the same.
    06-12-2016 07:19 PM
    I tried on Ubuntu 16.04. It failed on me, and I haven't figured out why. Until I can, I don't dare try again (you know...the whole definition of insanity thing).

But the commands were the same.
    Okay thanks, this may or may not be a dumb ? But how do I set the downloaded file in the same PATH as adb? Or whatever.

06-12-2016 07:23 PM

Yes, I sideloaded using Ubuntu 16.04. I installed adb, turned on USB debugging and checked to make sure that my device was recognized, placed the MM file in my home directory, and it worked fine.
    06-12-2016 07:24 PM
    Yes, I sideloaded using Ubuntu 16.04. I installed adb, turned on USB debugging and checked to make sure that my device was recognized, placed the MM file in my home directory, and it worked fine.
    Okay, total noon here lol somehow I was able to manage to get linux on my CPU, so I'm sure I can side load a dang update. But how do I go about getting the update file in my home directory. Is it as simple as just copy/cutting and pasting into home?

06-12-2016 07:32 PM
    Okay, total noon here lol somehow I was able to manage to get linux on my CPU, so I'm sure I can side load a dang update. But how do I go about getting the update file in my home directory. Is it as simple as just copy/cutting and pasting into home?

Sure, that would work fine. I initially had a problem using Windows. I found Linux much easier.
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
    06-12-2016 07:35 PM
    When you install, just make sure you're in your home directory. in terminal cd ~. then give adb sideload command using sudo: sudo adb sideload name-of-file.Before you connect to your phone, check from the home directory by giving the command adb devices to see if your phone is recognized. If so, you should be good to install.
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
    06-12-2016 07:37 PM
    Thanks for the info to everyone I'm gonna try and update later tonight or tomorrow morning

06-12-2016 07:50 PM
    Thanks for the info to everyone I'm gonna try and update later tonight or tomorrow morning

Great, good luck and let us know how it goes.
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
    06-12-2016 07:52 PM
    Installed and all set up we will see how it runs over the next couple days
    dakini03 likes this.
    06-13-2016 03:08 AM
    Another week and still no MM. I was going to side load it. I chickened out lol

Posted via the Android Central App
    PinkLipstick likes this.
    06-13-2016 11:09 AM
    I talk to AT&T rep yesterday he said that he doesn't know when the update will be released I have the note 4 and note 5 all the other carriers have it us AT&T customers still waiting smh

AT&T Note 4 & gear 2 & gear s
    06-13-2016 12:48 PM
    Another week and still no MM. I was going to side load it. I chickened out lol

C'mon Rmbrown - I am a former techno geek but retired and can't deal with headaches anymore. I finally got tired of these clowns delaying us and sideloaded Saturday night. Other than having to do some initial setup crap again, "piece of cake" - do it!!!
    dakini03 likes this.
    06-13-2016 05:49 PM
    Seriously guys, the AT&T delay with marshmallow is unacceptable. We pay for their service and expect them to deliver what they promise. I had the same problem with them back in the Blackberry days and the only reason they pushed the update was when the Heartbleed Bug was prevalent and they had to do something to not put all of their phones at risk.

06-13-2016 10:21 PM
    I just watched Apple's keynote from WWDC 2016. It will be interesting to see if my iPhone 6s gets iOS10 before my Note 5 gets MM. If that happens I probably won't buy another Android from AT&T.
    06-13-2016 10:48 PM
    ok i'm backing up everything now. pray for me . lol
    06-14-2016 01:26 AM
    C'mon Rmbrown - I am a former techno geek but retired and can't deal with headaches anymore. I finally got tired of these clowns delaying us and sideloaded Saturday night. Other than having to do some initial setup crap again, "piece of cake" - do it!!!
    Thanks, i will do it tomorrow. Wish me luck!

06-14-2016 01:47 AM
    i am at the part where i put in the cmd adb devices. the adb device does not show up on the list. what am i doing wrong?
    06-14-2016 03:22 AM
    i am at the part where i put in the cmd adb devices. the adb device does not show up on the list. what am i doing wrong?
    Did you turn on USB debugging in developer options? That's how your device is recognized.
    06-14-2016 03:45 AM
    Did you turn on USB debugging in developer options? That's how your device is recognized.
    What's is that and where do I find it?

nevermind i found it. it still doesn't list any adb devices on my computer.
    06-14-2016 03:48 AM
    Go to Settings/System/About Device and tap Build approximately 7 times and you'll receive the message that developer options are turned on. Then go back one screen to System menu, and you'll now find the developer options menu. Press that and then turn on USB debugging. Shortly after that you'll receive a pop up asking your authorization to pair device with your computer. Then give your adb devices command again.
    06-14-2016 03:54 AM

nevermind i found it. it still doesn't list any adb devices on my computer.
    "Shortly after that you'll receive a pop up asking your authorization to pair device with your computer. Then give your adb devices command again." You have to get that pop up authorization to pair the device.
    06-14-2016 04:08 AM
801 ... 1718192021 ...