08-28-2016 12:29 PM
801 ... 2122232425 ...
tools
    Those of you that sideloaded the update, how long did it take from start to finish? Also did you back up to a computer or just your Google Account?
    Thanks!

Posted via the Android Central App on the Galaxy Note 5
    06-20-2016 10:55 PM
    Those of you that sideloaded the update, how long did it take from start to finish? Also did you back up to a computer or just your Google Account?
    Thanks!

Posted via the Android Central App on the Galaxy Note 5
    It took me a couple tries but once I got it to work it took maybe 30-45 min and I didn't back up anything but contacts and pictures I just redownloaded everything.
    06-21-2016 03:26 AM
    It took me a couple tries but once I got it to work it took maybe 30-45 min and I didn't back up anything but contacts and pictures I just redownloaded everything.
    Same here. Took some tries to actually get the whole sideload thing, but once that was going, or only took about 30-45 minutes.
    06-21-2016 07:53 AM
    Rooted three phones in the past but haven't done it in awhile. Is this sideloading business similar in complexity? Easier, more difficult? Never had trouble rooting so I figure I might just say to heck with AT&T and take the plunge.
    06-21-2016 08:38 AM
    Same here. Took some tries to actually get the whole sideload thing, but once that was going, or only took about 30-45 minutes.
    Did you rename the file to .zip, or did you just go with the file, as downloaded?
    06-21-2016 08:48 AM
    Rooted three phones in the past but haven't done it in awhile. Is this sideloading business similar in complexity? Easier, more difficult? Never had trouble rooting so I figure I might just say to heck with AT&T and take the plunge.
    That would depend on which rooting methods you used in the past. This method sideload, is pretty simple, if it works; but fair warning....if you try this, it will wipe your phone, whether it works or doesn't. Once you enter the "sideload" option on your device, there's no turning back. I've tried it multiple times, and it didn't work for me, and now, I'm stupid enough, to try it one more time, on my laptop...lol. Good luck!

Chris
    burwil likes this.
    06-21-2016 08:51 AM
    Did you rename the file to .zip, or did you just go with the file, as downloaded?
    If everything is done properly, it makes no difference what the filename is.

However, some people get in trouble adding a .zip extension--either because they don't understand the subtleties of how extensions can be parsed differently by the command line vs. by Windows Explorer, or else because there's a conflict with third-party zip utilities installed on their PC.

Therefore, the safest thing to do is to leave the filename as is. Or if you do rename it, make it something easy to type and don't add any extension.

Also, some 3rd-party anti-malware software may need to be suspended (built-in Windows Defender is ok). Be sure you run adb from an administrator-level command-line. I think that covers the more common problems people have encountered.
    H3aTeRzz likes this.
    06-21-2016 09:33 AM
    Yep, 6.0.1 w/ June 2016 Security Patch.
    Seriously?
    Roguefoxx likes this.
    06-21-2016 09:41 AM
    Initially I couldn't get the comp to recognize the device when I typed adb devices. Wasted a lot of time on that when all I needed was to go to the Samsung site and download the latest driver for my Note. After that it was smooth sailing.

From my Platinum Gold Note 5
    06-21-2016 09:46 AM

However, some people get in trouble adding a .zip extension--either because they don't understand the subtleties of how extensions can be parsed differently by the command line vs. by Windows Explorer, or else because there's a conflict with third-party zip utilities installed on their PC.

Therefore, the safest thing to do is to leave the filename as is. Or if you do rename it, make it something easy to type and don't add any extension.

Also, some 3rd-party anti-malware software may need to be suspended (built-in Windows Defender is ok). Be sure you run adb from an administrator-level command-line. I think that covers the more common problems people have encountered.
    Only thing that I would add, is make sure the file for your build is added to the same folder that the adb install creates.

As it was already stated, the entire process takes roughly 45 minutes and it will wipe your phone whether you're successful or not. So be sure to backup anything you want saved prior to attempting.

Posted via the Android Central App
    H3aTeRzz likes this.
    06-21-2016 09:49 AM
    Fingers crossed, did this on my laptop this time, and I did not rename the file left it as is. And it is at 55% on verifying update package, fingers crossed thanks Gary. !!
    Attached Thumbnails Any news on MM note 5 AT&T?? (Update: Out Now!)-1466521741814.jpg  
    06-21-2016 10:09 AM
    85% unpacking new files

Completed....restoring from google account backup....so far, so good!

06-21-2016 10:20 AM
    Now let's see if everything flows smoothly!

Attached Thumbnails Any news on MM note 5 AT&T?? (Update: Out Now!)-572.jpg  
    06-21-2016 10:35 AM

I think I have winzip on my laptop. Do I need to uninstall that before I try again? I also have Norton. Do I have to get rid of that as well?
    06-21-2016 10:52 AM
    No need to uninstall winzip. Wouldn't hurt to disable Norton while the process is being run. Just don't change the file name at all, leave it without the extension. Be sure to use the adb files provided on the first page of this thread:....then navigate to your adb folder, which should be in C:\adb....make sure the update file is in that folder...then right click while holding shift key, and run command prompt from there, when cued to do so. Be sure that the first thing you do, after youve booted to recovery and chose adb sideload, is to run the command: "adb devices" and make sure it finds your device.

Good Luck!
    06-21-2016 11:11 AM
    Seriously?
    Yes sir
    H3aTeRzz likes this.
    06-21-2016 01:24 PM
    UPDATE: All is super smooth, no hiccups so far. Much snappier than before, just an all around good feel!!
    Issemann likes this.
    06-21-2016 02:07 PM
    No need to uninstall winzip. Wouldn't hurt to disable Norton while the process is being run. Just don't change the file name at all, leave it without the extension. Be sure to use the adb files provided on the first page of this thread:....then navigate to your adb folder, which should be in C:\adb....make sure the update file is in that folder...then right click while holding shift key, and run command prompt from there, when cued to do so. Be sure that the first thing you do, after youve booted to recovery and chose adb sideload, is to run the command: "adb devices" and make sure it finds your device.

Good Luck!
    Thanks. I don't know why I'm willing to torture myself for this mess again. Lol
    H3aTeRzz likes this.
    06-21-2016 04:16 PM
    Thanks. I don't know why I'm willing to torture myself for this mess again. Lol
    For the same reason I did :-D
    sweetypie31 likes this.
    06-21-2016 04:48 PM
    As downloaded without changing or adding any extension.

Earlier, I had added the .zip extension, per the posted instructions on the xda site and it didn't work.
    H3aTeRzz likes this.
    06-21-2016 05:16 PM
    As downloaded without changing or adding any extension.

Earlier, I had added the .zip extension, per the posted instructions on the xda site and it didn't work.
    Yup...did it without extension, worked like a charm! :-D
    06-21-2016 05:24 PM
    I'm at 35% of verifying the package. I said so many curse words when this mess finally worked. Thanks to everyone for their help, but I won't be doing this again. Too stressful. Lmao
    H3aTeRzz and vincehny like this.
    06-21-2016 09:41 PM
    LMBO!

Its all downhill from here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Welcome to 6.0.1!!!!
    sweetypie31 and jimd1050 like this.
    06-21-2016 09:58 PM
    now i'm not so bitter having to reset up my phone.i guess im glad i didn't quit. lol
    H3aTeRzz and jimd1050 like this.
    06-21-2016 10:21 PM
    Glad for you! Glad I didn't quit as well :-)
    sweetypie31 likes this.
    06-21-2016 10:30 PM
801 ... 2122232425 ...