08-28-2016 12:29 PM
801 ... 2526272829 ...
tools
    After almost two hours my update is at 51%, there is no way it will be done downloading before I go to lunch today. Is it OK to take the phone with me when I go?

I don't know if the download will pause and resume when I get back to the office or if it will have to start over again.
    Update will pause, then resume once on wifi again

Posted via the Android Central App
    H3aTeRzz likes this.
    06-22-2016 03:31 PM
    I think, for the first time I won't have to do a factory reset. This thing is running smooth and quick. I'll reserve finale judgement for a while, but right now, I think it's good.
    Same here! So far, so good. I didn't even wipe the cache partition!! But I will give it a few days before I pass final judgement.
    H3aTeRzz likes this.
    06-22-2016 03:32 PM
    OMG....okay..I can't look...eeek. I better back up using Smart Switch.
    H3aTeRzz likes this.
    06-22-2016 03:47 PM
    I can't figure out the pattern, but it's happened a few times in the 30 minutes or so I've been running MM (ha!). I set a fingerprint with a password backup. Sometimes when I try to unlock with the fingerprint I get an additional prompt for password. It might be related to tapping a lock screen notification (hangout message) and then using fingerprint to unlock. I'll keep an eye on it and see if I can figure out the conditions that make the 2nd prompt show up.

Then again, like I said I've been on MM for all of 30 minutes, so maybe I'm imagining it.

-Brett.
    If you swipe the lockscreen while you have it set for your fingerprint you'll be prompted for your password.
    Every time you restart your phone and are using fingerprint security it will first ask you for your password, then will use fingerprint after that.

I tried the pin option as well to see what you were referring to, I quite like that you have to swipe the screen before seeing the pin entry screen. I'll bet it's to have more screen room for notifications.
    H3aTeRzz likes this.
    06-22-2016 04:22 PM
    I can't figure out the pattern, but it's happened a few times in the 30 minutes or so I've been running MM (ha!). I set a fingerprint with a password backup. Sometimes when I try to unlock with the fingerprint I get an additional prompt for password. It might be related to tapping a lock screen notification (hangout message) and then using fingerprint to unlock. I'll keep an eye on it and see if I can figure out the conditions that make the 2nd prompt show up.

Then again, like I said I've been on MM for all of 30 minutes, so maybe I'm imagining it.

-Brett.
    Try doing a cash partition wipe in recovery, and if that doesn't work and the problem persists, I would suggest doing a full factory reset. A lot of folks are having problems after the marshmallow update, the one you are describing is similar to other troubleshooting I have done for folks who have upgraded to marshmallow. 2 which ultimately needed to do a factory reset to recover. Hopefully the cache partition wipe will help.
    06-22-2016 04:25 PM
    What about Galaxy s5 ????? ๐Ÿ˜ 
    06-22-2016 04:39 PM
    WOWSERS! 1409 MB...this will take a while 16%
    H3aTeRzz likes this.
    06-22-2016 04:45 PM
    What about Galaxy s5 ?????
    s5 should have it...check their forums.
    06-22-2016 04:53 PM
    The annoying AT&T startup jingle is gone?, I've rebooted twice and it hasn't played ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

H3aTeRzz and linkiik121 like this.
    06-22-2016 05:11 PM
    It looks like wifi calling was removed from this rom..... or am I just not finding it in settings? Wifi calling is supposed to be built into MM
    06-22-2016 05:17 PM
    Update will pause, then resume once on wifi again

Mine restarted when I got back from lunch. I was at 72% when I left and am now up to 83% on round two.
    H3aTeRzz likes this.
    06-22-2016 05:33 PM
    I think you might mean MB. as no phone has a Terabyte of storage.
    rebamb likes this.
    06-22-2016 05:35 PM
    The annoying AT&T startup jingle is gone?, I've rebooted twice and it hasn't played ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

I rebooted to see, sure enough I don't hear it either. Great!
    06-22-2016 05:37 PM
    I think you might mean MB. as no phone has a Terabyte of storage.
    Yes. I'm used to saying GB.
    06-22-2016 05:51 PM
    After any large OS update on any platform, it's wise to do a full reset and start fresh. Too much code change to roll into an upgrade and expect perfection.
    So wipe partition, full hard reset, and then restore everything but settings?
    Anyone can answer this as my update has been completed and Android is upgrading and optimizing app 49 of 95...

*update I am restoring everything but settings*
    06-22-2016 06:15 PM
    Try doing a cash partition wipe in recovery, and if that doesn't work and the problem persists, I would suggest doing a full factory reset. A lot of folks are having problems after the marshmallow update, the one you are describing is similar to other troubleshooting I have done for folks who have upgraded to marshmallow. 2 which ultimately needed to do a factory reset to recover. Hopefully the cache partition wipe will help.
    Do NOT suggest a factory reset. The poster can reset his/her password/PIN remotely if he/she has a Samsung account then get back into his/her phone that way. There's no point losing all your stuff then waiting days for all your relevant apps to get reinstalled with the settings not quite like you left them.

Meh.
    06-22-2016 06:16 PM
    How big is the update. Mine is downloading something 1.4 gb

06-22-2016 06:43 PM
    How big is the update. Mine is downloading something 1.4 gb

Yup
    06-22-2016 06:46 PM
    Do NOT suggest a factory reset. The poster can reset his/her password/PIN remotely if he/she has a Samsung account then get back into his/her phone that way. There's no point losing all your stuff then waiting days for all your relevant apps to get reinstalled with the settings not quite like you left them.

Meh.
    I based my solution for him on previous experience with this marshmallow update, as I have been dealing with the troubleshooting of this since it's been released on the other carriers.

I stand by my advice to do a factory reset after every major update. It's just good logic, in my humble opinion, and based on my experiences with these major updates.

But I thank you nonetheless for your suggestion, regarding my suggestion!

I hope you have a great evening!

Chris
    fernandez21 likes this.
    06-22-2016 06:50 PM
    I based my solution for him on previous experience with this marshmallow update, as I have been dealing with the troubleshooting of this since it's been released on the other carriers.

I stand by my advice to do a factory reset after every major update. It's just good logic, in my humble opinion, and based on my experiences with these major updates.

But I thank you nonetheless for your suggestion, regarding my suggestion!

I hope you have a great evening!

Chris
    I have not done a factory reset ever after a major update. No need to unless you have major issues. First clear cache partition.
    06-22-2016 06:54 PM
    Yup
    I thought it was 3gb

06-22-2016 06:59 PM
    Your advice is noted.
    06-22-2016 07:01 PM
    How big is the update[?] Mine is downloading something 1.4 gb
    https://www.att.com/devicehowto/tuto...l=SamsungN920A
    06-22-2016 07:05 PM
    I believe the three gigabyte you're referring to is the amount of free space you must have available before the update will take place.
    bassplayrguy likes this.
    06-22-2016 07:05 PM
    I rebooted to see, sure enough I don't hear it either. Great!
    It's actually still there but very faint and easy to miss. I first noiced that with my S7 Edge.
    H3aTeRzz likes this.
    06-22-2016 07:08 PM
801 ... 2526272829 ...