08-28-2016 12:29 PM
801 ... 678910 ...
tools
    Thanks.

To the thread: remember, there is always a risk in updating any device. OTAs are no exception. In that case, you can take it to the carrier and have them fix it. I gambled and probably lost.
    I still will keep the thread updated. I just can't do any more until tonite.
    Hey simple fix... Just put the phone in recovery mode again and volume down to "apply update from ADB" and don't do anything. Just let it sit on that screen for 2-3 minutes and it should wipe everything and start over with a fresh install. But not bricked.
    05-20-2016 01:01 PM
    Hey simple fix... Just put the phone in recovery mode again and volume down to "apply update from ADB" and don't do anything. Just let it sit on that screen for 2-3 minutes and it should wipe everything and start over with a fresh install. But not bricked.
    Downside is this: It wasn't responding to a long press of the power button. Hopefully, it will have shut down and be responsive tonight.
    05-20-2016 02:10 PM
    Update: I have a possible brick on my hands. Will keep updating.
    Oh no. Man, sorry if I contributed to this in any way. I always dive in to this sort of thing, read the instructions like 10 times and follow step by step. Never had a single issue over many years and many phones. But as you said, even an OTA can bust up a phone. Software is complex.

So, to echo your warning: this may break your phone. I did it just fine and am just a regular guy (not a programmer, etc). Just followed the instructions to the letter and it worked flawlessly. YMMV. If this concerns anyone, wait on the OTA. I'm too impatient, so I dove right in.
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
    05-20-2016 08:37 PM
    Well if it's any consolation I've bricked mine too. It got to 94% and stopped. Been sitting on the start up screen for 3 hours so far. It will be interesting to see if it frees up after the battery dies. Thanks Samsung for the non removable battery.
    05-20-2016 08:42 PM
    If you want to try to restart your phone, try holding down the <Volume Up>+<Volume Down>+<Power Button> all at the same time, it should reboot.

I learned this one time when we were getting ready to go on a trip and I wanting to clear the cache but accidentally put my phone into Download Mode instead. After being on the phone to AT&T (they were clueless) for an hour trying to get some help and trying different combinations, I happened on the 3 button combo. Up until that moment I was cursing the non-removable battery.
    05-20-2016 09:42 PM
    I just flashed 6.0.1 to my Tab S2 (german T810 firmware) using odin. Guess I'm truly impatient, lol.

I just don't see how this process can brick a device. If the drivers and adb are set up and it's communicating in fastboot, you just point to the file and sideload it. It will process through the system.img and all the data files one by one until it's finished. Only thing I can think of is the file itself is corrupt. My first download (from the Mega mirror on XDA) failed the first time. Couldn't verify the signature (in red text). I panicked a bit, then thought to download the package from the AT&T server link. Tried again and voila, worked. Took ~25 minutes to fully process and load up. Then I verified the anti-theft by logging into my Samsung account, reformatted, then did a full wipe/cache in recovery. Booted up, set it up and it's flying with no issues.
    05-20-2016 09:44 PM
    I was planning on waiting for the OTA, but the wait was very painful since the Note 5 on other carriers had gotten their update 1 to 2 months ago. I had decided that I was not going to wait on AT&T anymore, so I backed up all of my files last night and did a backup in Samsung's PC application Smart Switch.

I sideloaded the update last night and did the restore from the PC application Smart Switch. I must say that I am very impressed with the MarshMallow update and the device status still says official. I was a little concerned about the device status, because if it does not say official, I think that it can cause issues with future updates.

I like the fact that you can set the individual permissions on each application and am looking forward to see how well the Doze feature does.
    05-20-2016 09:52 PM
    Oh no. Man, sorry if I contributed to this in any way.
    You didn't. The only person I have to blame is myself. I got into the bootloader, and tried a reboot from there, and it's still stuck. I'm downloading Odin now and hopefully I can get my stock ROM up and running.

I've adb sideloaded before, so I skimmed the instructions (there weren't that many there), and went ahead and did it.
    05-20-2016 10:18 PM
    I will wait. If it bricks devices, no thanks. I don't even root or flash mine.
    debdroid1a likes this.
    05-20-2016 10:47 PM
    Ok....back up and running. I used Odin 3.10.7, as found here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/amb...interface.html

I got my files from here: Note 5 marshmallow* Odin package. | AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note5
    No it's not MM. It is the latest 5.1.1 build. Download and extract. I created a destination folder on the desktop to make it easy to find. Each file needs to go in it's corresponding box. It's pretty easy; they are properly labeled.

And yes, this does do a reset. I am still trying to see if any personal files were lost. In the past, including right now, I am assuming a complete wipe was done.
    mickeylittle777 and dakini03 like this.
    05-20-2016 11:18 PM
    Well if it's any consolation I've bricked mine too. It got to 94% and stopped. Been sitting on the start up screen for 3 hours so far. It will be interesting to see if it frees up after the battery dies. Thanks Samsung for the non removable battery.
    Meant to quote you with my update, one post above this one.
    05-20-2016 11:39 PM
    Yeah, totally Samsung's fault you bought a phone knowing it had no removable battery and then bricked it, messing around where you weren't meant to.
    Tayloj92 and Dominick079 like this.
    05-21-2016 06:44 AM
    No it's my fault not Samsungs. Don't read me wrong. Heck if I can't get it un-bricked I will even buy another phone and eat this one since this is my fault! I was just saying that it would have made it much nicer to kill the reboot if I could have pulled the battery.

And as for Samsung my friend, they have learned their lesson and the Note 5 will be the only Note in history to have a battery that doesn't come out! So I'm not the only one complaining about that!
    05-21-2016 07:20 AM
    Ok....back up and running. I used Odin 3.10.7, as found here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/amb...interface.html

I got my files from here: Note 5 marshmallow* Odin package. | AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note5
    No it's not MM. It is the latest 5.1.1 build. Download and extract. I created a destination folder on the desktop to make it easy to find. Each files needs to go in it's corresponding box. It's pretty easy; they are properly labeled.

And yes, this does do a reset. I am still trying to see if any personal files were lost. In the past, including right now, I am assuming a complete wipe was done.
    How did you get your phone into download mode? That is one of the steps in this process and I can't get mine to go there no matter what group of buttons I try holding.
    05-21-2016 07:29 AM

No it's not MM. It is the latest 5.1.1 build. Download and extract. I created a destination folder on the desktop to make it easy to find. Each files needs to go in it's corresponding box. It's pretty easy; they are properly labeled.

How did you get your phone into download mode? That is one of the steps in this process and I can't get mine to go there no matter what group of buttons I try holding.
    Never mind, it worked great using the stuck download screen my device was on. So Odin to the rescue and I'm currently back on 5.1.1 but since I know how to un-brick I'm back to my original plan of sideloading MM. I'll let you know in about an hour how it went.
    05-21-2016 08:32 AM
    Many thanks, Golfdriver 97 for the information needed to flash the stock ROM. In attempting to side load the MM update, I got the
    dm-verity verification failed in Recovery, which disables adb. It didn't affect my phone, but I definitely wanted to clear that. The instructions worked perfectly.

The only thing that puzzles me is that my phone was not reset. The flash completed successfully per ODIN, but I booted into my usual setup. Also, the dm-verity error was cleared in Recovery. On the other hand, when I had Lollipop flashed at Best Buy, it was the same - no phone reset. Anyway, thanks again!
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
    05-21-2016 06:52 PM
    Many thanks, Golfdriver 97 for the information needed to flash the stock ROM. In attempting to side load the MM update, I got the
    dm-verity verification failed in Recovery, which disables adb. It didn't affect my phone, but I definitely wanted to clear that. The instructions worked perfectly.

The only thing that puzzles me is that my phone was not reset. The flash completed successfully per ODIN, but I booted into my usual setup. Also, the dm-verity error was cleared in Recovery. On the other hand, when I had Lollipop flashed at Best Buy, it was the same - no phone reset. Anyway, thanks again!
    Odin stuttered a little with the large portion of the file (that actual ROM part), and after killing Odin 2 times (without actually pushing the files) I tried flashing everything else to see if the phone would boot. It didn't, so I just let the PC do its thing on the large file (read as I got a beer while waiting). I then flashed everything. Perhaps the 2 flashes in a row caused a reset?
    05-21-2016 07:52 PM
    Anywho...back to the topic....has anyone seen any kind of news release about this?
    05-21-2016 07:52 PM
    Odin stuttered a little with the large portion of the file (that actual ROM part), and after killing Odin 2 times (without actually pushing the files) I tried flashing everything else to see if the phone would boot. It didn't, so I just let the PC do its thing on the large file (read as I got a beer while waiting). I then flashed everything. Perhaps the 2 flashes in a row caused a reset?
    Lol, I foolishly attempted to sideload marshmallow, got the dm-verity error again and this time went into a boot loop. I reflashed the stock ROM and thank goodness I'm back to normal. I've learned my lesson - no more, and I did get my reset this time.
    05-21-2016 08:37 PM
    Impatient people, the ota will be here to brick your phone soon enough haha
    05-21-2016 08:45 PM
    Anywho...back to the topic....has anyone seen any kind of news release about this?
    No sir and I stayed with 5.1.1 so hopefully AT&T will make an official release soon.
    05-21-2016 08:46 PM
    Impatient people, the ota will be here to brick your phone soon enough haha
    I bought my phone, I'm a big boy, so if I wanna brick it please let me do so in peace. But what's really cool is no one has actually bricked their device that I've seen. Disabled for 6-8 hours yes but not bricked.
    05-21-2016 08:53 PM
    I bought my phone, I'm a big boy, so if I wanna brick it please let me do so in peace. But what's really cool is no one has actually bricked their device that I've seen. Disabled for 6-8 hours yes but not bricked.
    It twas a joke. I don't really want anyone to brick their phones. I want then to have great working Android devices
    05-21-2016 09:04 PM
    I was hoping. .. I did a 1.9gb update to my GPS today. Was hoping I'd be doing my phone also and get both done. No such luck. Lol

Posted via the Android Central App
    05-21-2016 11:08 PM
    Have battery problem with mine too. Can't get a full day...
    05-21-2016 11:29 PM
801 ... 678910 ...