Any news on MM note 5 AT&T?? (Update: Out Now!)

Tayloj92

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
Re: Any news on MM note 5 AT&T??

If I do the side load route do I need to decrypt my phone first? And should I wipe cache partition? I saw that it factory reset the phone so I'll have to back it up obviously.

Posted via my AT&T Note 5

srinathp1988

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
I updated via the XDA method. I'm 100% sure the build there is what's going to OTA soon. It has May 1, 2016 security updates and the kernel is dated 5/16/16, so it's brand new.

Fully reset and up and running. Knox not tripped. This is great. Wasn't hard, just connect, "adb sideload ota.zip" and off you go. The file came directly from AT&T's servers, so it's fully legit. This isn't the beta version, this is the OTA that's set to go out. I have no proof but so far it is perfect.

Post deleted

Posted via the Android Central App

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Giving it a shot. Using Ubuntu 16.04. Charged the device to 70% before starting. Will update you all on how it goes.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Crap. Good luck.

Thanks.

To the thread: remember, there is always a risk in updating any device. OTAs are no exception. In that case, you can take it to the carrier and have them fix it. I gambled and probably lost.
I still will keep the thread updated. I just can't do any more until tonite.

mickeylittle777

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site

Thanks.

To the thread: remember, there is always a risk in updating any device. OTAs are no exception. In that case, you can take it to the carrier and have them fix it. I gambled and probably lost.
I still will keep the thread updated. I just can't do any more until tonite.

Hey simple fix... Just put the phone in recovery mode again and volume down to "apply update from ADB" and don't do anything. Just let it sit on that screen for 2-3 minutes and it should wipe everything and start over with a fresh install. But not bricked.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Hey simple fix... Just put the phone in recovery mode again and volume down to "apply update from ADB" and don't do anything. Just let it sit on that screen for 2-3 minutes and it should wipe everything and start over with a fresh install. But not bricked.

Downside is this: It wasn't responding to a long press of the power button. Hopefully, it will have shut down and be responsive tonight.

coolbreeze78

May 6, 2011
Visit site

Update: I have a possible brick on my hands. Will keep updating.

Oh no. Man, sorry if I contributed to this in any way. I always dive in to this sort of thing, read the instructions like 10 times and follow step by step. Never had a single issue over many years and many phones. But as you said, even an OTA can bust up a phone. Software is complex.

So, to echo your warning: this may break your phone. I did it just fine and am just a regular guy (not a programmer, etc). Just followed the instructions to the letter and it worked flawlessly. YMMV. If this concerns anyone, wait on the OTA. I'm too impatient, so I dove right in.

mickeylittle777

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site

Well if it's any consolation I've bricked mine too. It got to 94% and stopped. Been sitting on the start up screen for 3 hours so far. It will be interesting to see if it frees up after the battery dies. Thanks Samsung for the non removable battery.

imarek3

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site

If you want to try to restart your phone, try holding down the <Volume Up>+<Volume Down>+<Power Button> all at the same time, it should reboot.

I learned this one time when we were getting ready to go on a trip and I wanting to clear the cache but accidentally put my phone into Download Mode instead. After being on the phone to AT&T (they were clueless) for an hour trying to get some help and trying different combinations, I happened on the 3 button combo. Up until that moment I was cursing the non-removable battery.