Any news on MM note 5 AT&T?? (Update: Out Now!)

bbqwings2

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
Re: Any news on MM note 5 AT&T??

After I sideload marshmallow, if att releases an ota stability update can I just update from there or do I need to factory reset?

From my AT&T Note 5 paired with my larger Asus Zenwatch 2

Stratatak7

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site

After I sideload marshmallow, if att releases an ota stability update can I just update from there or do I need to factory reset?

Only if the update is actually released as the official OTA. If not, you have to ODIN back to stock and update the "long" way. The update files have specific requirements. You must be on an official release build to get the next one over OTA.

bbqwings2

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site

But could I just factory reset and get it to update?
A factory reset isn't an issue, I have most everything on the cloud.

dakini03

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

No as the previous poster pointed out you would need to odin flash back to the stock firmware in order to be
able to receive the OTA. A factory reset would not help you at all.A phone that doesn't have official firmware is considered to have "modified firmware" and cannot receive an OTA update of any kind.

Hopefully the current version is the final one and then we'd just be good to go with no flashing.

Last edited:

bbqwings2

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site

Ok thank you. How hard is it to revert back through Odin? I am good with computers, just terrified about messing up my phone. Would you say it would be easy to brick the phone?

dakini03

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

Ok thank you. How hard is it to revert back through Odin? I am good with computers, just terrified about messing up my phone. Would you say it would be easy to brick the phone?

The flashing through Odin is easy and quick (maybe 5 minutes.) The sideloading is a bit more complex because there are more variables and you have to follow the instructions carefully. Flashing your phone to the stock firmware will not affect the status of your phone in any way it will still be official. If sideloading doesn't work your phone will automatically reset itself so you're usually good there. Odin flash is exactly what ATT does at the store and the same at the Samsung store at Best Buy. No matter what you do you can generally flash back to the stock firmware.

I think the best thing for you to do would be to read the extensive threads at XDA and see if you feel comfortable. If not no worries it's clearly on the way.

Last edited:

Paul Rezendes

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site

Been on MM beta and got the one over OTA that everyone is now using as well. I think those of you that did a sideload will get the official one just fine if its different. I think this is it though. Its been perfect on my note 5. Everything works as well if not better than before.

Rmbrown1964

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Been on MM beta and got the one over OTA that everyone is now using as well. I think those of you that did a sideload will get the official one just fine if its different. I think this is it though. Its been perfect on my note 5. Everything works as well if not better than before.

That's good, thanks for the information. I'm waiting for the OTA my self.

Posted via the Android Central App

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

@bbqwings2:
Look at [Samsung] How to flash Stock ROM via ODIN. It holds true for any version of Android. The only problem is dying of boredom (the first boot can take 10 minutes of watching paint dry). Just make sure you're flashing the AT&T version for your model phone - that's the only thing you can do wrong, use the wrong ROM.

Rmbrown1964

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site

Hoping to see MM this week!! Don't forget to update when you do.

Posted via the Android Central App

Dominick079

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site

I'm sure it will be here soon. The S6 got it a couple of weeks ago and we just got the May security update. Everyone take a deep breath it will be ok it's coming lol. Honestly it's nothing special as my girlfriend just updated her S6 to MM and it's really nothing to get all worked up about.

Posted via the AT&T Note 5

bbqwings2

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site

I still haven't side loaded yet, and at this point I don't even really care about the update. All I want is a factory reset and goodlock!

bovineman61

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site

Was tempted to side load Marshmallow on my phone so I looked over the warranty for the Note 5. Since the version that sideloaders are using is not OTA it is thus unauthorized software and to put it on your phone will void the warranty. Attaining root access will also void your warranty as well. So if you decide to sideload, do so at your own peril. Yes it does thoroughly suck to have to wait as long as we have but waiting is advisable if you value your warranty. This is a link to the general warranty for Samsung devices. Samsung.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance