Any news on MM note 5 AT&T?? (Update: Out Now!)

bbqwings2

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
Re: Any news on MM note 5 AT&T??

Last night I stayed up until 2 flashing marshmallow. It worked great this time.
Recommendations for people doing it in the future:
Don't start at 1 am
Make sure your ADB is up to date, it didn't work last time for me because of this reason
Obviously make sure your phone/computer has lots of battery
Don't use a cheap 3rd party cable

Thanks to all you guys that helped me with it when it didn't work the first time :)

Sent from my ATT Note 5 paired with a 42 mm Asus Zenwatch

dakini03

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

Last night I stayed up until 2 flashing marshmallow. It worked great this time.
Recommendations for people doing it in the future:
Don't start at 1 am
Make sure your ADB is up to date, it didn't work last time for me because of this reason
Obviously make sure your phone/computer has lots of battery
Don't use a cheap 3rd party cable

Thanks to all you guys that helped me with it when it didn't work the first time :)

Sent from my ATT Note 5 paired with a 42 mm Asus Zenwatch

Good going and welcome to Marshmallow!

Brad Bilger

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site

This what I mean. Some said yes, MM fixed it. Others say replaced your motherboard. I'll just wait for MM and then go from there. Simple stuff first.

Posted via the Android Central App

bovineman61

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site

Just want to remind everyone about sideloading Marshmallow on their phones from XDA. I just got through talking with Samsung support and the rep told me that if it is your intent to use the XDA version of Marshmallow you have just voided your warranty. Samsung views the XDA edition of Marshmallow as 3rd party software, thus being unauthorized. The only authorized edition that will not void your warranty is the edition AT&T pushes out OTA. So if you brick your phone don't expect any help from Samsung. I like many of us here am impatient and tired of getting the run around by AT&T. I know everyone here who has not sideloaded their phones are still under warranty but wait. Hopefully it will be here soon.

Roguefoxx

Oct 7, 2014
Visit site

Just want to remind everyone about sideloading Marshmallow on their phones from XDA. I just got through talking with Samsung support and the rep told me that if it is your intent to use the XDA version of Marshmallow you have just voided your warranty. Samsung views the XDA edition of Marshmallow as 3rd party software, thus being unauthorized. The only authorized edition that will not void your warranty is the edition AT&T pushes out OTA. So if you brick your phone don't expect any help from Samsung. I like many of us here am impatient and tired of getting the run around by AT&T. I know everyone here who has not sideloaded their phones are still under warranty but wait. Hopefully it will be here soon.
While I appreciate your concern, I as well as many many others have been doing this for years and years and have never had a warranty issue. You can always flash back to stock and problem solved, as long as that option has been made available, which in this case it has. Is there a chance at bricking your phone, sure there always is when you tamper with them in this manner, but it is pretty unlikely especially when there is an odin avenue back to stock.

Not trying to discount your concern at all as when you are dealing with phones that are this expensive it is certainly warranted. Any of this should always be done keeping in mind it is being done at your own risk.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site

Samsung views the XDA edition of Marshmallow as 3rd party software, thus being unauthorized.
The "XDA edition" is nothing but a link to a download directly from AT&T's own server. AT&T is not a "3rd party", regardless of what a support rep may say over the phone.

boufa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site

The "XDA edition" is nothing but a link to a download directly from AT&T's own server. AT&T is not a "3rd party", regardless of what a support rep may say over the phone.

Can't we all agree that support reps, and customer service reps are completely useless on predicting the future. Future warrentee claims, future OS updates, etc. They react to problems, ie My phone is bricked, or my bill is wrong... they don't predict future decisions of their companies.

Dominick079

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site

Even if is not a 3rd party software I'm just not willing to take that chance on voiding my warranty on a $800 phone over a software update. Whenever AT&T releases MM is fine with me. But we appreciate your help with the people that want the update now

Posted via the AT&T Note 5

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site

Even if is not a 3rd party software I'm just not willing to take that chance on voiding my warranty on a $800 phone over a software update.
Yup, perfectly reasonable choice either way.

Be aware, though, that the Device Status is still reported as Official after the update. And Samsung Pay, which is very sensitive to any software tampering, continues to work happily. Plus, users have succesfully reverted to a previous OTA release when they've wanted to. Still, you're right that something could always go awry.

Rmbrown1964

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site

I hope it's this week! I look forward to using Fingerprint for my chase bank app.

Posted via the Android Central App

Valaar

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site

I just found this forum, didn't realize you all didn't have MM on AT&T. I imported an International Galaxy Note 5 like a month ago and within 2 days of using it, was prompted by the phone to update. To my surprise, it was the MM update. I'm on AT&T and so far, its been great. Not really sure what is taking AT&T so long to get the update out to US models, but mine is fantastic.

I can post pictures if needed, but I can promise, this wasn't anything side loaded or rooted.

troyboytn

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site

Samsung informed you incorrectly as the "XDA" version IS official firmware pulled from AT&Ts own servers. The firmware states "official" in settings, it does NOT trip Knox warranty flags, and both Android Pay and Samsung Pay are active and work with the firmware. This is in NO way a third party firmware as Samsung and AT&T are the only contributors to the firmware itself. As long as these conditions are met, Samsung cannot refuse warranty... The Samsung rep may have thought that since you were speaking of XDA, that there was a rooted/modded firmware that you was thinking of loading.

coolbreeze78

May 6, 2011
Visit site

Samsung informed you incorrectly as the "XDA" version IS official firmware pulled from AT&Ts own servers. The firmware states "official" in settings, it does NOT trip Knox warranty flags, and both Android Pay and Samsung Pay are active and work with the firmware. This is in NO way a third party firmware as Samsung and AT&T are the only contributors to the firmware itself. As long as these conditions are met, Samsung cannot refuse warranty... The Samsung rep may have thought that since you were speaking of XDA, that there was a rooted/modded firmware that you was thinking of loading.

This is true. Anyone who thinks the software, which is directly from ATT themselves, is "hacked" or XDA engineered is spreading FUD. It's fully legit, just hasn't been pushed yet. Why, nobody knows, but there is no warranty voiding or any other scary things going on. That's just Samsung hearing "XDA" and knee-jerk saying "VOID WARRANTY!!!11"

All sorts of flags would be tripped by Knox if it wasn't official. Nothing is tripped and it's fully legit.

boufa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site

This is true. Anyone who thinks the software, which is directly from ATT themselves, is "hacked" or XDA engineered is spreading FUD. It's fully legit, just hasn't been pushed yet. Why, nobody knows, but there is no warranty voiding or any other scary things going on. That's just Samsung hearing "XDA" and knee-jerk saying "VOID WARRANTY!!!11"

All sorts of flags would be tripped by Knox if it wasn't official. Nothing is tripped and it's fully legit.

No, its a customer service rep who isn't as versed in the technology that they are talking about as we are. I repeat my initial statement, I wouldn't trust a customer service rep on anything that isn't past history, and think it is downright foolish to even ask them about such things. Why don't you call them up and ask them about the presidential election, or if it is going to rain next week. They don't know, and it is unfair of us to even ask them about it. NO they don't know when the update is coming out. NO, they don't know if you caused an issue with an UNAUTHORIZED download, if it would be covered.

Why is it UNAUTHORIZED.. because it is. Will it likely cause any issues, no, not really, is it wrong, and will Samsung have an issue with it, no, not likely either (although, if you tried to get service on your phone BEFORE the real update comes out, you might have some explaining to do.) I realize that this update is reported to be from AT&T's servers, and that is all just a rumor, because only the person who did the initial posting knows for sure. It is also forcing on software that has not be released and might not be final. If it was authorized, they would release it. I don't think this is a bad thing, I am not arguing with those who have done it, I am just pointing out that it is what it is, and the community in all of its greatness, cannot simply will it to be authorized.

When I get the time I will likely do the upgrade using it. I'm ok with it. But please stop referring to it as official and authorized. Its misleading. It IS safe, low risk, and likely the same as the OTA when it comes out, but that is definitely different than authorized and official.

serpent2005

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site

I just found this forum, didn't realize you all didn't have MM on AT&T. I imported an International Galaxy Note 5 like a month ago and within 2 days of using it, was prompted by the phone to update. To my surprise, it was the MM update. I'm on AT&T and so far, its been great. Not really sure what is taking AT&T so long to get the update out to US models, but mine is fantastic.

I can post pictures if needed, but I can promise, this wasn't anything side loaded or rooted.
So software updates for your international device comes directly from Samsung and not from AT&T even though you're getting service from AT&T?

coolbreeze78

May 6, 2011
Visit site
No, its a customer service rep who isn't as versed in the technology that they are talking about as we are. I repeat my initial statement, I wouldn't trust a customer service rep on anything that isn't past history, and think it is downright foolish to even ask them about such things. Why don't you call them up and ask them about the presidential election, or if it is going to rain next week. They don't know, and it is unfair of us to even ask them about it. NO they don't know when the update is coming out. NO, they don't know if you caused an issue with an UNAUTHORIZED download, if it would be covered.

Why is it UNAUTHORIZED.. because it is. Will it likely cause any issues, no, not really, is it wrong, and will Samsung have an issue with it, no, not likely either (although, if you tried to get service on your phone BEFORE the real update comes out, you might have some explaining to do.) I realize that this update is reported to be from AT&T's servers, and that is all just a rumor, because only the person who did the initial posting knows for sure. It is also forcing on software that has not be released and might not be final. If it was authorized, they would release it. I don't think this is a bad thing, I am not arguing with those who have done it, I am just pointing out that it is what it is, and the community in all of its greatness, cannot simply will it to be authorized.

When I get the time I will likely do the upgrade using it. I'm ok with it. But please stop referring to it as official and authorized. Its misleading. It IS safe, low risk, and likely the same as the OTA when it comes out, but that is definitely different than authorized and official.

That's fine but if you read the XDA thread where the guy found it, he essentially wrote a script to scan AT&T'S update server and found it. Is it final? Does it have bugs? Only AT&T knows, but its certainly an official build by Samsung/AT&T. If it wasn't, it would have tripped knox in a millisecond as it would have failed signature/security checks instantly. Unless some XDA nerd hacked I to and uploaded into AT&T'S servers and uploaded it...which is...kinda unlikely to say the least.

I'm not concerned with the minutiae. I've been running it and it's perfect. Everyone else is welcome to wait of course, but it's smooth sailing here. Official enough for me. The Internet authorized it for us because AT&T is a molasses slow organization. I was done waiting.

Last edited:

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site

this update is reported to be from AT&T's servers, and that is all just a rumor, because only the person who did the initial posting knows for sure.
What's provided is a (secure) link to AT&T's server itself. You can download the firmware directly from there; you needn't rely on anyone's purported mirror. However, although the URL is indeed AT&T's cloud service (attcompute.com), I admittedly don't know how to confirm that the link is not to some 3rd party's cloud account.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

That's fine but if you read the XDA thread where the guy found it, he essentially wrote a script to scan AT&T'S update server and found it. Is it final? Does it have bugs? Only AT&T knows, but its certainly an official build by Samsung/AT&T. If it wasn't, it would have tripped knox in a millisecond as it would have failed signature/security checks instantly. Unless some XDA nerd hacked I to and uploaded into AT&T'S servers and uploaded it...which is...kinda unlikely to say the least.

This would be an opinion. Samsung and them state if you modify the software at all (as in not accepting an update from what they count as authorized) then you can void the warranty on the phone. This isn't new and has been around since ROMs.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers