Any news on MM note 5 AT&T?? (Update: Out Now!)

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: Any news on MM note 5 AT&T??

Samsung and them state if you modify the software at all (as in not accepting an update from what they count as authorized) then you can void the warranty on the phone.
There is no official statement from Samsung as to what software they do or do not consider "unauthorized". Nor is that something they can decide unilaterally. If they unreasonably deny warranty coverage, that decision can be legally challenged.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site

I realize that this update is reported to be from AT&T's servers, and that is all just a rumor, because only the person who did the initial posting knows for sure.
It is possible to prove that the URL for downloading the MM firmware points to AT&T's server. If your phone does not have the latest OTA firmware, you can dial *#8736364#, Start Server Update, then look in the result for the server address. This procedure leaves no doubt that the URL is that of AT&T's own server. So you'd be downloading directly from AT&T, and not taking anyone's word for it.

boufa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site

I will grant you that the update is on at&t's servers, I didn't realize it, and am very suprised they haven't pulled it. However my initial point remains, just because you trust it doesn't make it authorized or official, it just comes from a source you trust. Until they release it, there is no authorized or official MM build for an At&t phone. Period.

Are you a fool, are you causing problems, are you going to stop the earth from spinning using it, I seriously doubt it. I am planning on using it today myself. But the important part is not telling people that might not be as comfortable with it, that it is something that it isnt. Clearly the initial poster a few pages back had concerns if he asked the rep about warranty coverage.

It is a useful, safe alternative to get MM on your device sooner than waiting for at&t. It comes from a reliable source, it likely is close to final. It is not authorized or the official ota.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site

I will grant you that the update is on at&t's servers, I didn't realize it, and am very suprised they haven't pulled it. However my initial point remains, just because you trust it doesn't make it authorized or official, it just comes from a source you trust. Until they release it, there is no authorized or official MM build for an At&t phone.
It doesn't merely come from a source you trust. It provably comes from AT&T, as does any other firmware you run on your phone.

Samsung has never said what constitutes "unauthorized" software. It's conceivable that they would construe only OTA releases as authorized, and not releases that AT&T provides for public download from AT&T's servers. It's even conceivable (but by no means certain) that Samsung could get away with that construal.

But that's all speculation. No one knows whether Samsung would or would not consider AT&T's non-OTA MM firmware to be "unauthorized".

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

There is no official statement from Samsung as to what software they do or do not consider "unauthorized". Nor is that something they can decide unilaterally. If they unreasonably deny warranty coverage, that decision can be legally challenged.

I disagree. Modifying a phones software can easily void the warranty -- just like opening it up yourself can void the warranty.

Rmbrown1964

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site

For those who want to side load MM on there AT&T note 5. All is good, please continue to update me. I'm hoping we will get the OTA this week.

Posted via the Android Central App

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site

I disagree. Modifying a phone[']s software can easily void the warranty -- just like opening it up yourself can void the warranty.
"Modifying" it by installing an update provided by AT&T can void the warranty? Can you substantiate that claim?

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

"Modifying" it by installing an update provided by AT&T can void the warranty? Can you substantiate that claim?

It technically isn't provided by AT&T yet. Downloading an OTA provided by AT&T that pops up on your phone and doing some back-end move to snag it off the server before they are pushing it are two totally different things. It may not be done yet and therefore isn't official software.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site

It technically isn't provided by AT&T yet. Downloading an OTA provided by AT&T that pops up on your phone and doing some back-end move to snag it off the server before they are pushing it are two totally different things. It may not be done yet and therefore isn't official software.
AT&T provides it to the public by making it freely downloadable from their servers, without any sort of password protection.

You are making up a definition of "official software" that has never been stated by AT&T or Samsung. The only definitive statement is what the phone itself reports on its Status page after installing MM: "Device status = Official".

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

AT&T provides it to the public by making it freely downloadable from their servers, without any sort of password protection.

You are making up a definition of "official software" that has never been stated by AT&T or Samsung. The only definitive statement is what the phone itself reports on its Status page after installing MM: "Device status = Official".

We can agree to disagree :).

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site

Then what's the hold up with AT&T?
No one here knows. But one possibility is that there's a glitch with the OTA process itself. With other Android phones, there've been widespread reports of fingerprint/password credentials getting corrupted by the MM OTA, locking users out of their phones.

The MM releases on AT&T's servers can only be sideloaded for now (a process that exceeds the patience of 99% of users), which wipes the phone anyway, so credentials don't carry over. So even though AT&T's MM releases seem to work great, AT&T may be unable to send them out OTA yet. But that's just speculation.

Last edited:

floroorida

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site

He obviously does not understand the foundation of making software free and available to download and install yourself. Apparently getting this official (yea I said official because it is official in every place in the phone you can verify, firmware, knox, build version- everything) But, apparently everything that is "official" needs to come through OTA. What I am saying is just because you are scared to sideload an official release doesn't mean it is not real or genuine. Gary02468 is right and I think you are just the type of person who does not like to be wrong..or admit it. I can tell you why they have not pushed it- because the roll out for the S6 is still not complete and they have other updates rolling out for phones as well. From what the ATT manager said- it is qued up in line. All we did was get that same update a little early- its just sitting on their servers collecting dust. and o yea- btw- if they were going to update it- it would takes MONTHS to get a new version out. and if thats the case we wait for the new one and run MM happily while you wait and wait and wait......

Last edited:

floroorida

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site

Awesome! so much smoother than LP. glad google had engineers sent to samsung to help with touchwiz and overall sw.....you can tell.

floroorida

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site

Ah yes you are correct- What I mean is ODIN is a tool provided to reinstall an official firmware and OTA is not the only way to obtain genuine firmware/sw. I thought it was a samsung tool- but I guess not. my bad. adb, integrated in android sdk is also safe/genuine as well is all I am trying to say, I know odin has nothing to do with MM update and AT&T, just was an example of using a tool to get official sw.

dakini03

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

Ah yes you are correct- What I mean is ODIN is a tool provided to reinstall an official firmware and OTA is not the only way to obtain genuine firmware/sw. I thought it was a samsung tool- but I guess not. my bad. adb, integrated in android sdk is also safe/genuine as well is all I am trying to say, I know odin has nothing to do with MM update and AT&T, just was an example of using a tool to get official sw.

Odin is an official Samsung software utility developed by them. It was meant to be used internally and not intended to be released to the public. But you're certainly right that it's a Samsung tool.

floroorida

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site

Follow this to the T and you will be fine. Get a good cable and make sure the USB port your using has not be wonky lately. install drivers ( first step- they bundled everything for you) then download correct version depending on your build ( step 2) and then follow the rest. simple and easy. you will love you note even more- it should have been this good day 1. MM is a huge step from a stability and snappyness and is well worth the quick side load. also- just copy and past the names into CMD- dont type the file. copy/paste). Update to Marshmallow 6.0.1 Step by Step | AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note5

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty