Any news on MM note 5 AT&T?? (Update: Out Now!)

Rmbrown1964

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Re: Any news on MM note 5 AT&T??

I believe I will try to side load MM. Just nervouse, don't want to mess up my phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

bmetelsky

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site

OK. Got adb environment working.
Now a new problem - when attempting to sideload, I get an error to the effect of "can't read sideload <filename>. I did include the .zip and have the file located in the same directory as adb so it should be simple, right?? Not working still...

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site

That's why " ColoMtn's" first Step is: 1. Backup everything of importance on your phone!!!

I'm still downloading/installing it now - at 67%. I'll let you know how (if) SmartSwitch Restore works for me!!!!

bmetelsky

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site

Following the instructions exactly and still will not read the downloaded marshmallow file. Anybody else have this problem?

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site

I believe I will try to side load MM. Just nervouse, don't want to mess up my phone.

I've been thinking the same way but I got so sick of waiting and I've been reading great posts over on the "XDA Sideload" thread so I said "Aw crap Jim, just do it!" - I haven't had a challenge in quiet a while! I'm at 96% complete right now - I'll post once it's completed and restored...

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site

O.K., O.K. - so I'm up and running with 6.0.1 - ran through most of the normal setup stuff and skipped what I could to get logged in. SmartSwitch is restoring today's backup right now - I'll be back later! Sweet so far!!!!

Dominick079

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
The reps won't even know the difference between 5.1 and 6.0 and if they do, they won't care. Lol

I never stated the reps would know or care about the difference between 5.1 and 6.0. I just said the Note 5 won't still be on 5.1 in October. Another user stated he is downgrading his Note 5 to 5.1 because he is trading in his Note 5 in October and he believes the Note 5 will still be on 5.1.

Posted via the AT&T Note 5

Brad Bilger

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site

OK. I got it figured out. AT&T will release MM in conjunction with valve software releasing Half-Life 3.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site

O.K., O.K. - so I'm up and running with 6.0.1 - ran through most of the normal setup stuff and skipped what I could to get logged in. SmartSwitch is restoring today's backup right now - I'll be back later! Sweet so far!!!!

Oh well... the SmartSwitch "Restore" did not restore ANY settings - still had to configure the phone myself and am still doing that. Only thing I saved was it restored all my downloaded apps and widgets. Long night ahead but I'm running Marshmallow! Yee Ha :-(

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site

Backup and restore via Samsung and Google accounts seems to be much more thorough than SmartSwitch. I think SmartSwitch is mostly useful for those people who still store data primarily on their phone instead of in the cloud.

mickeylittle777

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site

I never stated the reps would know or care about the difference between 5.1 and 6.0. I just said the Note 5 won't still be on 5.1 in October. Another user stated he is downgrading his Note 5 to 5.1 because he is trading in his Note 5 in October and he believes the Note 5 will still be on 5.1.

Posted via the AT&T Note 5

That was me and it was supposed to be funny. Well it is funny but sometimes posts are misunderstood (not by you Dominick079, you responded back in jest).

My point was that if the Note 5 is still on 5.1.1 (and that would be ashamed but at this point who knows) then rather than get asked about my 6.0.1 version, I'll just flash it back to 5.1.1.

Granted I'm betting that AT&T will have pushed out 6.0.1 by then since that is 4 months away but if they don't wouldn't that be funny to have a lot of people trading up for the Note 6 and turning in Note 5s on Marshmallow while AT&T is still selling them on Lollipop!

Now that would be freaking hilarious!

Last edited:

mickeylittle777

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site

Following the instructions exactly and still will not read the downloaded marshmallow file. Anybody else have this problem?

For easy I renamed the downloaded MM folder to MM.zip so I would make mistakes typing in the long name.

But since yours isn't reading it please make sure that when you download it that you don't click the open button at the bottom of the browser window. Don't click any of them as all you want is it to be downloaded. That was my mistake and it was doing what you are describing.

Tayloj92

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site

I have everything I think I need to side load I'm curious has anyone done this on Ubuntu Linux? The instructions are for Windows. Which I could follow but i would like to avoid doing that(my windows is literally 3x as slow as my Linux at most everything.)

Posted via my AT&T Note 5

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

I have everything I think I need to side load I'm curious has anyone done this on Ubuntu Linux? The instructions are for Windows. Which I could follow but i would like to avoid doing that(my windows is literally 3x as slow as my Linux at most everything.)

I tried on Ubuntu 16.04. It failed on me, and I haven't figured out why. Until I can, I don't dare try again (you know...the whole definition of insanity thing).

But the commands were the same.

Tayloj92

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site

I tried on Ubuntu 16.04. It failed on me, and I haven't figured out why. Until I can, I don't dare try again (you know...the whole definition of insanity thing).

But the commands were the same.

Okay thanks, this may or may not be a dumb ? But how do I set the downloaded file in the same PATH as adb? Or whatever.

dakini03

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

Yes, I sideloaded using Ubuntu 16.04. I installed adb, turned on USB debugging and checked to make sure that my device was recognized, placed the MM file in my home directory, and it worked fine.

Tayloj92

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site

Yes, I sideloaded using Ubuntu 16.04. I installed adb, turned on USB debugging and checked to make sure that my device was recognized, placed the MM file in my home directory, and it worked fine.

Okay, total noon here lol somehow I was able to manage to get linux on my CPU, so I'm sure I can side load a dang update. But how do I go about getting the update file in my home directory. Is it as simple as just copy/cutting and pasting into home?

dakini03

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

Okay, total noon here lol somehow I was able to manage to get linux on my CPU, so I'm sure I can side load a dang update. But how do I go about getting the update file in my home directory. Is it as simple as just copy/cutting and pasting into home?

Sure, that would work fine. I initially had a problem using Windows. I found Linux much easier.

dakini03

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

When you install, just make sure you're in your home directory. in terminal cd ~. then give adb sideload command using sudo: sudo adb sideload name-of-file.Before you connect to your phone, check from the home directory by giving the command adb devices to see if your phone is recognized. If so, you should be good to install.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad