Any news on MM note 5 AT&T?? (Update: Out Now!)

dakini03

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: Any news on MM note 5 AT&T??

If you look through the very large XDA thread, there's not one way that worked for everyone. Some people, including myself, used the file name as is. Some were successful with .zip, others with .zip.zip, and still others with shortening the name of the file.

dakini03

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

You can actually test it before sideloading. With your phone *not* connected give the adb sideload command using your file name. For example, with myself, using just the name as is, adb attempts to load the file. If I use mm.zip I get the cannot read error.

coolbreeze78

May 6, 2011
Visit site

There's no need for a .zip extension at all; furthermore, giving it that extension can apparently make the update process fail if you have 3rd-party zip utilities installed on your PC. There's no need to rename the downloaded file at all, but if you do, make it something easy to type.

I guess that's what I was trying to say. The file itself is already a .zip

You would just need to make sure it remains a whatever.zip

If two .suffixes are there, you will have problems. Your computer may not display the extension, so if you don't see .zip, don't add it. Just rename if you want and off you go. Type whatever it's called.zip

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site

I've tried with and without the extension and get the same error. Good luck. I don't think that anybody who has recently tried to upgrade this way has been succeeding.
As for recently, I did mine this past Saturday - a few minor bugs but eventually, it worked fine! Apologies if this has been mentioned already - I didn't bother reading backwards to see if anyone had mentioned this already. When I read through most of the comments on the XDA step by step post, someone mentioned that Windows 10 was causing an "Unable to Read File" error - I am still running Windows 7 on my main PC and that's what I used. It worked for me - I also saw a few comments where people with the issue tried again on a PC NOT running Windows 10 and they succeeded. Again, if this is a rehash, I'm sorry - just trying to help.

bmetelsky

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site

As for recently, I did mine this past Saturday - a few minor bugs but eventually, it worked fine! Apologies if this has been mentioned already - I didn't bother reading backwards to see if anyone had mentioned this already. When I read through most of the comments on the XDA step by step post, someone mentioned that Windows 10 was causing an "Unable to Read File" error - I am still running Windows 7 on my main PC and that's what I used. It worked for me - I also saw a few comments where people with the issue tried again on a PC NOT running Windows 10 and they succeeded. Again, if this is a rehash, I'm sorry - just trying to help.
I tried initially on Windows 10, then on Windows 8. Used everything that others have posted about. No go.

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site

I will abort this mission then. I don't want to have my phone wiped again and I still don't have mm. I'll wait. Lol

H3aTeRzz

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site

I'm just wondering if the June Security update, that i received, was after the version being offered through XDA, That might have something to do with it not working. Just a thought, as the file system changed.?

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site

I'm just wondering if the June Security update, that i received, was after the version being offered through XDA, That might have something to do with it not working.
You need to download and then sideload an update file that corresponds to the firmware you're already running. XDA has links to updates from APB2 and APE3 (among others). APE3 is the June security update.

dakini03

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

I'm just wondering if the June Security update, that i received, was after the version being offered through XDA, That might have something to do with it not working. Just a thought, as the file system changed.?

If your build number is N920AUCS2APE3, the file you need is https://xdmd.sl.attcompute.com/agents/48725/1488/SS-N920AUCS2APE3-to-U2BPE6-UP

If your build number is N920AUCU2APB2, the file you need is https://xdmd.sl.attcompute.com/agents/48725/1488/SS-N920AUCU2APB2-to-U2BPE6-UP

H3aTeRzz

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site

You need to download and then sideload an update file that corresponds to the firmware you're already running. XDA has links to updates from APB2 and APE3 (among others). APE3 is the June security update.

Did that one. Several different ways. Wasn't meant to be. LOL

zaydabarber

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site

We know Monday if AT&T release the update

AT&T Note 4 & gear 2 & gear s

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-06-16-23-49-45.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-06-16-23-49-45.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 173

cheburashka

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site

Just wandering... Why would there even be different firmware in the first place? In my mind you go to at&t store and you buy a note 5 and it should be identical in every sense to a note 5 that another customer bought. What am i missing here? Thanks.

boufa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site

Just wandering... Why would there even be different firmware in the first place? In my mind you go to at&t store and you buy a note 5 and it should be identical in every sense to a note 5 that another customer bought. What am i missing here? Thanks.

The difference is not the hardware, its the firmware. At&t released the June security update a week or so ago. Some people chose not to do the update. That is why 2 versions (with and without).

Last edited:

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site

The difference is not the hardware, its the firmware. At&t released the June security update a week or so ago. Some people chose not to do the update. That is why 2 versions (with and without).

Absolutely right "boufa" - I postponed the Security Update and waited like 4 days, then did it... that's why there's two different versions! :cool:

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site

I tried initially on Windows 10, then on Windows 8. Used everything that others have posted about. No go.

O.K., O.K. - I surrender... I have just been trying to help. At 66 years old and tired of Tech Stuff, it still worked for me! So I have it and you don't... hang in there - AT&T should release it sooner or later.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site

We know Monday if AT&T release the update
AT&T reps don't know if or when updates are forthcoming. Over the past few months, AT&T reps have repeatedly been quoted falsely predicting imminent release dates.

If AT&T wants to announce a release date, they issue a statement to the press, or post the information on their website. They don't release the information to the public solely by passing it along to the phone/chat reps and waiting for customers to inquire about it.

Nonetheless, even ignoring the rep, June 20 is kind of plausible. That'll be one month since the kernel-build date of the latest MM firmware (BPE6, which includes the June 1 security update) available on AT&T's server.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo