Ok, so I've been using Power Saving mode for over a year now, since the Note 4 first came out. I've pretty much never switched off power saving mode in that time, and I never noticed any problems. When the Note 5 came out, it became even more of a necessity. (I don't care what battery saving technology they develop, it still isn't good enough to last me through the day. And the fast charger is great, but it's a double whammy, because plugging your phone in twice a day will just make the unremovable battery deteriorate faster). Anyway, since the Marshmallow update, Power Saving has been broken. It's blocking all background data, which effectively makes my floating browser app useless. I always scrolled through the news and opened up all the articles I wanted to read in Flynx, and now I can't do that in power saving mode because that browser is considered 'background data', and even if I turn off power saving and refresh, the only thing that comes up is a page that says the site can't be reached. It also broke my normal browser. I can no longer bring up audio files in my browser and listen to them with the phone screen off. Now, after two minutes, playing those files becomes a background task that Power Saving mode sees fit to terminate. I also can't use the new Google Now function of searching your phone screen and bringing up relevant results... Guess what? That's consisted a background task, and Power Saving mode won't allow that... So, I'm sitting here with 54 percent on 3 hours of use just wondering, is there any way to make things work again without having to leave power saving mode off?
    04-11-2016 06:52 PM
    No one?
    msndrstood likes this.
    04-11-2016 11:49 PM
    The thing is, no one uses power saving mode unless there low on battery, everybody i know keeps it off unless emergency. It also slows down your phone, but no there isnt a fix, its how power saving is designed in marshmallow.

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-12-2016 01:29 AM
    Besides how long do you need a battery to last ? 3 hours screen on time and 54 percent left is great battery life. Do small top off charges and dont pet your battery drain below 20 percent if you want to save your batterys longevity.

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-12-2016 01:31 AM
    I did. For a year straight, as I said. It never affected my interactions with my phone. And how I use my phone shouldn't be compared to anyone else, but if you must know, I use it from 8 in the morning to 2 in the morning. I had to plug it in once per day when I could use power saving mode without killing my experience. Now it's about two or three times per day, which is an annoyance, because I don't have a job where I sit near an outlet, and the rest of the day, I'm out and about.
    04-12-2016 02:06 PM
    And I know power saving mode used to work differently. It never used to kill my floating apps, or audio files that were playing in the browser with the screen off. All it used to do was slow your phone down so it wasn't such a power hog. And I was fine with that, because even though I'm a power user, it's mostly limited to reading and browsing the Web. I don't need crisp graphics and the fastest processor, like someone who plays games constantly might.
    04-12-2016 03:09 PM
    It wasn't until the Marshmallow update that I saw it say "Restricts background data", too, so to the very best of my knowledge, that's a new aspect of power saving mode. And power saving mode shouldn't be for emergencies only. That's what ultra power saving mode is for. In fact, they even took off options from power saving mode with Marshmallow, such as turning the screen black and white, which make it even less functional, and make ultra power saving mode the go to for emergencies. So I can't understand why they'd restrict all background data on power saving mode.
    04-12-2016 03:12 PM
    Have you tried adjusting the individual app controls under Battery -> App power saving -> Details?

I have it set to Auto, but maybe changing settings there will help.
    04-12-2016 05:21 PM
    Have you tried adjusting the individual app controls under Battery -> App power saving -> Details?

I have it set to Auto, but maybe changing settings there will help.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I did try that, but I guess the only thing that affects is power optimization functionality when you don't use an app for several days in a row. It sure seemed like they severely dumbed down the menus with Marshmallow. I know there used to be several options under the Power Saving menu, including a Grey Scale toggle. Now none of that is there.
    04-23-2016 10:34 AM
    I think they dumbed down power saving mode because many things have been supplanted by marshmallow stock power savings. Overall though I find the battery life much improved in marshmallow

Power saving mode is something I only use when I'm down in battery life or going to be away from a power source for most of the day. My suggestion, don't be so afraid to charge mid day.
    I normally get through a whole day without needing it though.
    04-23-2016 11:46 AM
    Ok, so I've been using Power Saving mode for over a year now, since the Note 4 first came out. I've pretty much never switched off power saving mode in that time, and I never noticed any problems. When the Note 5 came out, it became even more of a necessity. (I don't care what battery saving technology they develop, it still isn't good enough to last me through the day. And the fast charger is great, but it's a double whammy, because plugging your phone in twice a day will just make the unremovable battery deteriorate faster). Anyway, since the Marshmallow update, Power Saving has been broken. It's blocking all background data, which effectively makes my floating browser app useless. I always scrolled through the news and opened up all the articles I wanted to read in Flynx, and now I can't do that in power saving mode because that browser is considered 'background data', and even if I turn off power saving and refresh, the only thing that comes up is a page that says the site can't be reached. It also broke my normal browser. I can no longer bring up audio files in my browser and listen to them with the phone screen off. Now, after two minutes, playing those files becomes a background task that Power Saving mode sees fit to terminate. I also can't use the new Google Now function of searching your phone screen and bringing up relevant results... Guess what? That's consisted a background task, and Power Saving mode won't allow that... So, I'm sitting here with 54 percent on 3 hours of use just wondering, is there any way to make things work again without having to leave power saving mode off?
    04-24-2016 04:34 PM
    I am having the same problem. With Power Saver on with my Note 5 (which I never turned off on with Lollypop ) my Gmail syncs periodically and my internet connections drop constantly. I need a full day or battery use which I used to get, but with Marshmallow I now have to turn off power saver and get 5 hours of battery. Come on Google and Samsung- The Marshmallow update needs a fix badly.
    04-24-2016 04:39 PM
    Hmm...I always have power saving mode on. I have great battery life. Not sure how things will be after the MM update this is in process right now.
    04-25-2016 10:50 AM
    Not sure if it's in the Note 5 MM, but on my S7 Edge there is an app power saving mode where apps are restricted only and you can chose which apps are and which aren't.
    04-25-2016 05:17 PM
    I always kept power saving mode on before downloading MM.
    With it on in MM, I was not getting any notifications on missed calls and voicemail.
    I spoke with Verizon and the tech told me to turn off power saver, and that fixed the problem.
    He said when Sammy comes out with an update, this one should be included. He said maybe around June.
    Otherwise, letting my phone sit undisturbed, my battery life is much improved over Lolly. The Doze mode really seems to help.
    debdroid1a likes this.
    04-26-2016 10:38 AM
    I tried U. Power Saving mode on my note 4 yesterday for the first time ever. It took hours for my apps to return once i shut it off. Also, my Google Now Launcher lost its assertions. Actually, most of my apps lost their settings. I'm planning to restore from latest backup to recover. Don't recommend UPS.
    04-29-2016 10:04 AM
    beh, MaguMLMM and raamskl like this.
    06-25-2016 01:48 PM
    I had the same problem as yours with my galaxy s6 when I upgraded it to MM. And while I was searching for a solution I read your question and as I saw nobody actually helped you, and because I finally found the solution I wanted to share it with you.
    First go on your main menu to Smart Manager => Battery => Power Saving Mode => then unable (Restrict All Background Data) and your problem will be solved.
    beh and MaguMLMM like this.
    06-27-2016 08:38 PM
    I figured it out.

Open Settings > Battery. Then open the upper right drop down menu (the vertical 3 dots), and select "optimize battery usage". Next, where it says "apps not optimized", select "all apps" instead. Find the apps you want to work when battery saver mode is active (like your default browser), and turn it off.

That should fix your problems. Cheers!
    raamskl likes this.
    07-29-2016 01:07 AM
    could u maybe help me
    07-29-2016 01:13 AM
    I figured it out.

Open Settings > Battery. Then open the upper right drop down menu (the vertical 3 dots), and select "optimize battery usage". Next, where it says "apps not optimized", select "all apps" instead. Find the apps you want to work when battery saver mode is active (like your default browser), and turn it off.

That should fix your problems. Cheers!
    Good grief! That's a mighty long list. I'd need a guide or something to know which ones to optimize and which ones not to.
    11-16-2016 09:01 AM