How durable is the note 5?

I was playing a game on my note 5 during which I had to shake the phone. As I'm doing this my arm is resting on my desk and the corner of the phone his the desk. Now there are no visible stubbs of damage but it made me wonder. How much wear and tear can this thing take.

Dies anyone have stories of a note 5 handling wear and tear? Or a situation that lesser devices would not have survived?

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-13-2016 12:01 PM
    I have dropped mine out of my truck twice with no damage. I do have it in a Spigen NeoHybrid case or Ringke clear case
    04-13-2016 12:21 PM
    No case for me.

04-13-2016 12:28 PM
    Last year, I saw someone drop his Note Edge from the height of his desk chair and shatter the display and too many other people do the same.

Phones screens will break if they hit a hard surface the wrong (or right if you want to phrase it that way) way. I have mine in an Otter B
    04-13-2016 08:44 PM
    I have no idea how durable my note is and I don't want to find out. Lol I'm too clumsy and I drop my phone all the time so my case is a must have item.
    04-14-2016 06:09 AM
    I have no idea how durable my note is and I don't want to find out. Lol I'm too clumsy and I drop my phone all the time so my case is a must have item.
    Fair enough. I'm sure there are some people that agree with you and some that don't like cases. I'd like to hear from everyone

homestead likes this.
    04-14-2016 11:43 AM
    I have never dropped my phone on any surface harder than carpet. I usually use a light case. I don't have any issues.
    To the people that don't use a case: is your camera glass scratched up? I'm terrified that if I don't use a case it will scratch.

From my AT&T Note 5 paired with my larger Asus Zenwatch 2
    04-14-2016 10:13 PM
    I have never dropped my phone on any surface harder than carpet. I usually use a light case. I don't have any issues.
    To the people that don't use a case: is your camera glass scratched up? I'm terrified that if I don't use a case it will scratch.

I have never used a case since the day the Note 5 came out and my camera glass has no marks of any kind whatsoever even under a magnifying glass. I normally set my phone down back down. I note that the metal bezel around the camera lens does stick out slightly past the surface of the lens glass cover.
    04-15-2016 11:31 AM
    I have never used a case since the day the Note 5 came out and my camera glass has no marks of any kind whatsoever even under a magnifying glass. I normally set my phone down back down. I note that the metal bezel around the camera lens does stick out slightly past the surface of the lens glass cover.
    Same. Also I don't drag my phone across concrete. I think if you are cognizant of the fact that the camera is exposed you'll be fine.

04-15-2016 11:36 AM
    Same. Also I don't drag my phone across concrete. I think if you are cognizant of the fact that the camera is exposed you'll be fine.

And if folks are cognizant that it is an electronic device and not a farm tractor they will be even better.
    04-15-2016 11:39 AM
    My main issue with the note 5 is how slippery it is. Ive never used a skin, i pick a case that gives me positive grip on the phone. I like the speck candyshell grip and the otterbox defender.

Yeah i worry about breaking it, i dont drop my phone much, but i feel better knowing its protected.

I can see why some people dont want to use a case, and thats ok, but even if this phone wasnt glass on the back its still too slippery for me to use without something on it.

Sent with my white Note5 with nonremovable back and no SDcard!
    04-15-2016 11:58 AM
    I have never used a case. I do have a clear DB film skin on the back but it is a slick as the glass. At first I too felt awkward holding it after the tactile plastic backs of previous Galaxy phones. But after a bit I realized it was comfortable and secure in my hand as any other phone.
    04-15-2016 06:00 PM
    Glass can break when dropped, and given that this phone is fully encased in glass, to me a case and screen protector is a reasonable and necessary way to protect from accidental drops and general wear and tear. It would probably be ideal to not need a case or screen protector, but over a given smartphone's lifetime, think the risk is high for accidental damage.
    04-17-2016 08:27 AM
    I work outside..Otter Box for me. Cant take the chance. But i do like the Note 5 naked.
    04-17-2016 11:21 AM
    I work outside..Otter Box for me. Cant take the chance. But i do like the Note 5 naked.
    I too have an Otter Box on mine. I work with someone who dropped an iPhone at my job from about 3 feet and the display shattered. She had a case on it. She got a new iPhone and put it in a Otter Box.

There is a video on YouTube where they put a Note 5 in a Otter Box and dropped it about 30 feet onto a concrete floor. The back of the phone cracked but that was about it. Not bad for that big of a drop.
    04-17-2016 02:20 PM
    I had the perfect storm yesterday. I've got a rubberize case, basically to protect corners, and a tempered glass. Dropped it from waist height, and damaged the area around the spen....didn't look bad, tried to remove the spen, and now wedged it in and can't pull it out :-( I've tossed it around, doing the work myself....but probably will just pay samsung to open and remove. Dropped it on the only area where the case protection was weak! :-(
    04-17-2016 05:52 PM
    That doesn't sound good. See if you can sand it down? That might be a bad idea if it scratches though.

H3aTeRzz likes this.
    04-18-2016 02:53 PM
    Thanks, not a bad idea. I have a Dremel tool. Not really worried about destroying the pin. It can be easily replaced.
    04-18-2016 06:51 PM
    That doesn't sound good. See if you can sand it down? That might be a bad idea if it scratches though.

Was able to get it out with my dremel tool. Maximum damage to pen....minimum damage to phone. I'm happy! Thanks bbqwings2, was a great idea!
    Trees likes this.
    04-18-2016 07:56 PM