Verizon update causing all kinds of problems, HELP! Marshmallow

OUGrad05

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Guys I had a verizon update pushed to my phone this morning. Since that time text messages do not work. I can't receive them, hell I can't even pull up my text messages it just times out and bogs down the phone. It's also extremely slow to respond...for example, I had been out of my car for 3 or 4 minutes when I received noticed that my vehicle wanted to access my phones contacts. I've been off the charger for 18 minutes now and it's lost 10% of its battery, something bizarre is going on here.

edit: I should add that I have tried wiping the cache partition to no avail...

Any help? or suggestions?

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Geez, there are so many variables.

I also got the update a couple of hours ago and all is perfect. Something has gone horribly wrong with your instance.

If you've already wiped cache (good thinking), I'd suggest there are two ways to proceed:

- Address what you can: first ensure you have a good 4G/WiFi connection, then tackle any problematic apps. If it's just your messaging app, uninstall/reinstall. If another becomes an issue, do the same. Recharge your battery and live with it for a couple of days to see if things settle in regarding battery performance.

- Do a factory reset. Yeah, it's a PIA, but it usually fixes any issues related to updates.

This is very early in this update release cycle, so let's see if others have similar problems as yours. Maybe someone else has some good ideas.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I updated mine on Monday and I have no issues.
I agree with the previous post, if you can't find a simple solution, a factory reset may be in order.
This update was to fix WiFi issues from the MM update, issues I didn't have, so I was hoping it didn't cause me to have issues, and it hasn't.

OUGrad05

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Geez, there are so many variables.

I also got the update a couple of hours ago and all is perfect. Something has gone horribly wrong with your instance.

If you've already wiped cache (good thinking), I'd suggest there are two ways to proceed:

- Address what you can: first ensure you have a good 4G/WiFi connection, then tackle any problematic apps. If it's just your messaging app, uninstall/reinstall. If another becomes an issue, do the same. Recharge your battery and live with it for a couple of days to see if things settle in regarding battery performance.

- Do a factory reset. Yeah, it's a PIA, but it usually fixes any issues related to updates.

This is very early in this update release cycle, so let's see if others have similar problems as yours. Maybe someone else has some good ideas.

I'm not sure I can uninstall the base messages app? There's no option to uninstall it. Hangouts, email are working fine, but texts are dead. Also the battery is draining so fast that even on the charger hooked up to my laptop its still dropping (just a lot more slowly now) as I currently sit at 79%, i was at 81% when I put it on the charger. Wall charging would catch it back up I'm sure, but something has gone wrong...

OUGrad05

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Do a reset on ur phone. It's probably the only way to fix it. Not having issues with my text and I updated 40min ago.

I got it. I had to manually clear the app data under settings>applications>application manager>messages now it seems to be working ok. Lets see if the battery holds up now :)

jgraves1107

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I will say this. Battery is draining just as fast as it has since I got the Note 5. So yes the battery still sucks! I think it just the fact it is a smaller battery than previous Note 4. 2hrs and down to 81%.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
In my experience, the N5 battery is awesome. Probably more accurate to say that there's some variable in your use case that is triggering battery drain.

There are so many ways to remedy this situation: power tracking apps, apps that disable power-hungry unneeded apps, and so many posts here providing all the details of how to fix this if it's a problem. There's so much good info that I think there's really just three probable states that you should be in:

- Bad battery drain, but the user knows exactly why and accepts it. This might be from using your N5 in a low signal area, or you have a usage pattern (lot's of screen-on time) that explains an expected battery drain.

- Great battery life.

- A defective device. Replace it.

OUGrad05

May 24, 2014
Visit site
My battery issues have historically been caused by FB app killing it...otherwise battery is really good on the note 5. I just took it off the charger so we'll see how it goes now that the messenger app is no longer hanging.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
FYI - if you ever have to do a factory reset use Samsung Smart Switch first with a 2nd phone to transfer everything to the 2nd phone. After the factory reset of the 1st phone transfer everything back using Smart Switch and you will pretty much be ready to go. Smart Switch is one great piece of software.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech