Thinking about leaving for an Iphone

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I am going to be the odd-ball in this thread but I say GO FOR IT. No doubt the Apple ecosystem has its well documented advantages, and legions of die hard fans. But the only way to really know if you are one of those is to dive into the pool... live with the device day to day.

For me the problems and restrictions with Apple are hidden and not outwardly visible to the first time customer... surfing the carrier www sites.

iPhones are centered around iTunes and time machine as their computer-access portal. So data sync-ing, updates, backup/recovery, overall file management structure... you are FORCE-FED and AFIAK have no choice. Particularly if you are a MAC user (like I am). There are little short cuts through iPhoto but still. In general, I find iTunes bloated, clunky, way to big for something as simple as external device file management. Its like Apple took the Universal aspect of USB and neutered it back to 20 years ago. Its an EXTREMELY inflexible ecosystem in these regards.

Everything is set up to go through iCloud in a similarly inflexible manner. While it does work (so long as you have reliable www access)... still its an ecosystem designed to eliminate consumer choice, and maximize Apple profitability and control.

On the surface the apple lightning connector looks GREAT and they have successfully marketed it that way to their believers. In reality its Apples control mechanism over 3rd party accessory market. They try to control it through iOS and its various layers of lightning device incompatibility... depending on the lightning terminated accessory. iOS certified lightning accessories carry a hefty $$$ tag over 3rd party, and this added expense should be factored into the decision making.

The 6S+ gets surprisingly good battery life. However battery charging is really slow, compared to the Qualcomm quick-charging Android phones. If you are accustomed to Qualcomm quick charging you can forget about a quick 25-30 minute top-off on an iPhone battery. For me it would take some getting used to going back to slow iOS charging. If you are used to Qi charging... forget it. AFIAK apple shows no desire to adopt the existing Android charging methods... because again, its a layer of the accessory market they can't exercise control over.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
OP, let me explain this.

Personally, I'm of those who believe that people should try something either totally new or try something that they haven't tried for some time after the last time said person tried that.

I think if you want to, you should try using an iPhone for a couple of days and see if you like it. Both Android and iOS have their own ups and downs, along with their unique quirks. The iPhone 6s was one of my favorite phones last year and it still holds up remarkable well against the current crop of Android flagships.

I use an Android phone and an iOS tablet. In my case, it's an LG G4 and an iPad Pro 12.9. I love using both. I love the open-nature and featureset of Android, which is nice to use on a phone, and I love the optimization, paid app selection and tablet-specific features and apps on iOS, which is fantastic on a tablet. I love both platforms for what they do and what they set out to accomplish.

So, OP. Here's my take. Please, do try out an iPhone if you really want to. See if it fits your needs. If it doesn't, you can always come back to Android. We'll be welcoming you again with open-arms. You won't know if you don't try. So give it a shot. :)

km04

Mar 30, 2016
Visit site
I say go try an Iphone.

Life is short and you only live once, and after all your changing phones not careers.

I will never buy an apple product but if your thinking about it go for it, you will either like it better or you won't but you'll know for sure.

Sent with my white Note5 with nonremovable back and no SDcard!

Love your signature line!!!!!!!

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
i can't think of a single reason not to "jump ship" so long as you're able to "jump ship BACK" if you decide to:

i had been an Android girl since wayyyy back in the day. But when the iphone 6 Plus was released, and T-mobile offered it for a 19.00 a month lease with no money down, i JUST had to do it...

Well, here it is a 8 mos later, i've used my jump program up, going to the iphone 6s (rose gold) when it was released because the iphone 6s Plus was unavailable for TWO months and i so bad wanted the rose gold color, then jumped again when the iphone 6S Plus was available in Rose Gold, but after a few months that thing felt like "a tank" with the added weight from the, "heavier metal used" so i went back down to the 6s....

i think they have stepped up their game soooo much, I loved the iphone, & when i bought a new truck my bank gave me an Apple watch, so i honestly cannot think of even ONE bad thing to say about it, except, in the end, while it did EVERYTHING i needed it to do, i just found it a little boring!

Soooo now for the next 16 months, i'm just using the iphone 6s as my camera, the S6 Edge Plus for my Daily Driver paired with the Tab S2 8 inch (Phone Version) as my Media Device...

all 3.jpg

(Every time i think i'm OUT, Sammy pulls me back in!)

BTC

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
This is my first Android and I love it. In fact, I didn't think I'd enjoy Android as much as I do considering I have three versions of iPhones under my belt. That said, I say try Apple; you might like it better, but you'll never know unless you branch out.

There are good parts to both systems. I prefer how Android works overall, but there are things I miss about Apple, too. And, frankly, if you're buying from a carrier, you have two weeks to try the thing.

Coraya

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm really on the fence about leaving my Note 5 for an Apple. I have to send the Note in for repair for the 2nd time in 4 months and I feel like its time to try something new.

Upgrade your Note 5 to a Note 4 ;)

All jokes aside you probably just have a bad unit. As for a replacement.

Posted via the Android Central App
no advertisements here.

Coraya

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
There is one thing I have to give the old iPhone credit for...

It never suffers from random battery drainage like my Note 5 and S7 Edge do. Out of nowhere, these phones will be at 70% or so and then an hour later, they can be at 40% or worse and I haven't even touched them during that hour.

Every Android phone I have ever owned has done this at random from my old Nexus 4, Note Edge, Note 4, and now my S7 Edge and Note 5. Earlier, I noticed Google maps had started up all on it's own and was at the top of the battery usage list. I uninstalled Google Maps as soon as I saw that. Don't need it if it's going to start up on it's own. My Note 5 is rooted so the ROM I am using didn't come with maps installed, I had to install it so I was able to remove it just as easy.

I'll keep hanging onto my 6S, 6S+ and my old 6+.

Never have I ever had a battery drainage problem with any of my android devices. My iPhones however would declare themselves dead at 30%.

no advertisements here.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Never have I ever had a battery drainage problem with any of my android devices. My iPhones however would declare themselves dead at 30%.

no advertisements here.
You've been a lucky Android user then. It happens several times a week on my Note 5 and on both of my S7 Edge phones. It's gotten so that I close all apps every time I am doing using one of these phones.

It's a fairly common complaint.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Not having the weekly drainage problem. When I take photos and am on WiFi, Google Photos does backup. When that happens, Google Play Services does use battery. It's easy to forget about that, and upon first glance it appears as if there is unexpected battery drain. Other apps that sync or do work that in turn consume system resources that need battery to run - will use battery. No way to avoid that.

stefanoooo

Apr 18, 2016
Visit site
I was with Iphone a few years back. Was overall a good esperience but at times I have problems with the operating system. I got a very good deal and moved to samsung and i anm very satisfied with it. However, i do not regret having had an experience, although problematic sometimes with Iphones. Life is too short and a change, at times is good.

mickeylittle777

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
I totally agree with the frustrating Android inconsistent battery life syndrome! Yep, it even has a freaking name.... I've had the S2 thru the S5 and the Note 2 thru the Note 5 which is my current phone and I can tweak and tweak and disable till I'm blue in the face. I'll get it just right for a few days and then all of a sudden a day later it decided to use 50% over night or 40% from 8-10 in the morning while sitting on my desk at work with the screen off.

So yeah this is without a doubt my biggest Android/Samsung complaint.

Oh, the OP's question, well I have and love my iPad Pro so give an iPhone a try if you want. I won't switch mainly because of the spen.

Coraya

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
I totally agree with the frustrating Android inconsistent battery life syndrome! Yep, it even has a freaking name.... I've had the S2 thru the S5 and the Note 2 thru the Note 5 which is my current phone and I can tweak and tweak and disable till I'm blue in the face. I'll get it just right for a few days and then all of a sudden a day later it decided to use 50% over night or 40% from 8-10 in the morning while sitting on my desk at work with the screen off.

So yeah this is without a doubt my biggest Android/Samsung complaint.

Oh, the OP's question, well I have and love my iPad Pro so give an iPhone a try if you want. I won't switch mainly because of the spen.

Could it be an app that's taking up so much battery? check out the usage in your settings. That's super abnormal. I've never had a problem with any of my android devices when it came to the battery.

no advertisements here.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Could it be an app that's taking up so much battery? check out the usage in your settings. That's super abnormal. I've never had a problem with any of my android devices when it came to the battery.

no advertisements here.

I have had this happen with a fresh install of the OS with NO apps even installed on the phone. It is completely random and I doubt if anyone will ever have an answer as to why it happens.

It started to happen on one on my S7 Edge phones again today. It's gotten to where I try to remember to close all apps before I set it down.

jlost

Trusted Member
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
You've been a lucky Android user then. It happens several times a week on my Note 5 and on both of my S7 Edge phones. It's gotten so that I close all apps every time I am doing using one of these phones.

It's a fairly common complaint.

Same here, i have never had battery drain.

drinkoldcoke

Apr 19, 2016
Visit site
I am going to be the odd-ball in this thread but I say GO FOR IT. No doubt the Apple ecosystem has its well documented advantages, and legions of die hard fans. But the only way to really know if you are one of those is to dive into the pool... live with the device day to day.

For me the problems and restrictions with Apple are hidden and not outwardly visible to the first time customer... surfing the carrier www sites.

iPhones are centered around iTunes and time machine as their computer-access portal. So data sync-ing, updates, backup/recovery, overall file management structure... you are FORCE-FED and AFIAK have no choice. Particularly if you are a MAC user (like I am). There are little short cuts through iPhoto but still. In general, I find iTunes bloated, clunky, way to big for something as simple as external device file management. Its like Apple took the Universal aspect of USB and neutered it back to 20 years ago. Its an EXTREMELY inflexible ecosystem in these regards.

Everything is set up to go through iCloud in a similarly inflexible manner. While it does work (so long as you have reliable www access)... still its an ecosystem designed to eliminate consumer choice, and maximize Apple profitability and control.

On the surface the apple lightning connector looks GREAT and they have successfully marketed it that way to their believers. In reality its Apples control mechanism over 3rd party accessory market. They try to control it through iOS and its various layers of lightning device incompatibility... depending on the lightning terminated accessory. iOS certified lightning accessories carry a hefty $$$ tag over 3rd party, and this added expense should be factored into the decision making.

The 6S+ gets surprisingly good battery life. However battery charging is really slow, compared to the Qualcomm quick-charging Android phones. If you are accustomed to Qualcomm quick charging you can forget about a quick 25-30 minute top-off on an iPhone battery. For me it would take some getting used to going back to slow iOS charging. If you are used to Qi charging... forget it. AFIAK apple shows no desire to adopt the existing Android charging methods... because again, its a layer of the accessory market they can't exercise control over.

Kramer 5150 makes good points; since i switched from a Galaxy S7 to a 6s plus 2 weeks ago i'll give you my 2 cents:

I like Siri much better than Google Now, but that is personal preference. Either one is MILES ahead of S Voice..which is absolute garbage. The functionality sucks, and it doesn't understand a lot.

OSX is much more closed and it is harder to share files, that said it is possible to download files into the appropriate apps most times. When their isn't an app or the browser doesn't know what to do...well...there is an app for that too that let's you directly download files and even transfer them to your computer over wifi. Kind of turns your phone into a portable drive. The app also lets you share the file with apps on your device or Icloud. It's called "Downloader" on the app store and is 99 cents.

You can also use ONEDRIVE, GOOGLE DRIVE, GOOGLE MUSIC, GOOGLE NOW or DROPBOX without drawbacks.

The battery life is far better than all the android devices unless you use "ultra" power savings. Using ultra power savings is awesome, but it turns off a lot of stuff. Just using "regular" power savings...my S7 still loses handily to my 6s plus...no matter how the reviews try to paint it otherwise. If you doubt it, just consider that the 6s uses 2 cores vs the 820's 2 +2 cores. They need that many cores because android has a much higher overhead due to the way it works and the tons of hardware configurations it has to work on.

Safari is so much better than Samsung's browser, and IMO better than chrome too.

Gaming...IOS for the win as far as smoothness.

There are advantages that android devices have, like customization and awesome hardware lately. I just pointed out what I liked about my phone vs my old one.

drinkoldcoke

Apr 19, 2016
Visit site
I was with Iphone a few years back. Was overall a good esperience but at times I have problems with the operating system. I got a very good deal and moved to samsung and i anm very satisfied with it. However, i do not regret having had an experience, although problematic sometimes with Iphones. Life is too short and a change, at times is good.

Well IOS 7.x and 8.X were pretty bad, bug wise so I can't disagree with you. 9.3.2 isn't too bad though.

zCirca

Jan 4, 2016
Visit site
Kramer 5150 makes good points; since i switched from a Galaxy S7 to a 6s plus 2 weeks ago i'll give you my 2 cents:

I like Siri much better than Google Now, but that is personal preference. Either one is MILES ahead of S Voice..which is absolute garbage. The functionality sucks, and it doesn't understand a lot.

OSX is much more closed and it is harder to share files, that said it is possible to download files into the appropriate apps most times. When their isn't an app or the browser doesn't know what to do...well...there is an app for that too that let's you directly download files and even transfer them to your computer over wifi. Kind of turns your phone into a portable drive. The app also lets you share the file with apps on your device or Icloud. It's called "Downloader" on the app store and is 99 cents.

You can also use ONEDRIVE, GOOGLE DRIVE, GOOGLE MUSIC, GOOGLE NOW or DROPBOX without drawbacks.

The battery life is far better than all the android devices unless you use "ultra" power savings. Using ultra power savings is awesome, but it turns off a lot of stuff. Just using "regular" power savings...my S7 still loses handily to my 6s plus...no matter how the reviews try to paint it otherwise. If you doubt it, just consider that the 6s uses 2 cores vs the 820's 2 +2 cores. They need that many cores because android has a much higher overhead due to the way it works and the tons of hardware configurations it has to work on.

Safari is so much better than Samsung's browser, and IMO better than chrome too.

Gaming...IOS for the win as far as smoothness.

There are advantages that android devices have, like customization and awesome hardware lately. I just pointed out what I liked about my phone vs my old one.

I actually preferred to use Chrome over Safari on my iPhones. I considered jailbreaking them so links opened in it but I chose to just deal with it. I especially liked the way Chrome worked with YouTube on iOS (playback with the screen locked without YT subscription).

drinkoldcoke

Apr 19, 2016
Visit site
I actually preferred to use Chrome over Safari on my iPhones. I considered jailbreaking them so links opened in it but I chose to just deal with it. I especially liked the way Chrome worked with YouTube on iOS (playback with the screen locked without YT subscription).

Hey, just to let you know about battery life, when my iphone was about 80 percent yesterday, I went out to the living room and my wife was watching all the Prince coverage (we're in Minnesota). I didn't want to watch it so I played infinity Blade 1 for about 4 and a half to 5 hours and my battery was still a little more than 20 percent. That's STRAIGHT gaming with only a few minutes in front of the TV eating dinner.

I DO have a lot of push notifications off, but that was with location on, and Hey Siri, and around 40 percent brightness (where I prefer it.).