T-Mobile note 5 finally gets marshmallow!!!

Kendahl Titcomb

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site
This update has had no issues hands down faster better battery smoother animation and overall a great update I would just take the plunge you won't regret it. T-Mobile isn't like the "other" guys they did a ton of testing before releasing it

Posted via the Android Central App

acles003

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I've only had it for an hour now. Apps load faster, MMS messages send faster, linked up to my Dodge Durango via Bluetooth in 2 seconds, where before it would take 15-30 or a need to turn off/on Bluetooth and try again. Even typing on my SwiftKey keyboard seems faster. Sometimes there was a delay.

Screen seems brighter and phone is warmer then usual, but that could be because of everything installing/updating post update.

Update:
Can't get the phone to be at a "resting" temperature, which normally for me was between 75-85°F. Anything above that and I knew someone was eating my battery in the background. It's staying in the 92-96°F since updating to Marshmallow.

Turned off WiFi calling, Voice over LTE, location, and even auto sync. Cleared cache from the bootloader menu already.

Got it down to 80°F by putting it in the freezer for 2 minutes, but it's back to 96° now.

Last edited:

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I went to software updates since I'm on my works wifi (these sometimes work better on wifi), and it started downloading without asking, so I did a google search and found the article. I will probably do a factory reset, seems like I have to after updates, but I'll try for a while without once since I don't have internet access at home and see how it works tonight.

If something happens and I'm late for work because my alarm, clock, etc., are on my phone, you think a software update glitch is a good excuse? ;)

ETA: After the initial set up it asked if I wanted to update, I clicked yes. Seems like others are okay with it, so I decided to give it a try. Now the wait.

Last edited:

icecoolfsu

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
updated today. This was the first smooth update I've done on a Samsung device. No glitches, no problems. Phone actually feels smoother after the update. Software runs great. I'm very happy. Looks like the S7 now. Let's hope this smoothness continues!

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Been using this without a factory reset. Did turn off and on my phone though. No problems so far.

I found the photo crop is now in the adjustment setting. Not am extra step, just not labeled "crop" anymore.

Since I use a theme, I haven't noticed much difference. Only thing is my calender now does not use the theme. I had little yarn balls for the time and now it's just a basic, boring number flip.

Swipe isn't any more accurate than before. Could be user error 😉.

My Samsung Gear 2 Neo watch still connects and gives me notifications.

Posted via the *Note 5*

Coraya

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Surprised Note 5 users had to wait so darn long for the update. I'm here impatiently waiting on the note 4. I just want to be able to take notes on the black screen. If this bad boy doesn't come soon I might just have to root. Congratulations folks.

no advertisements here.

Jesus Delgadillo

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Surprised Note 5 users had to wait so darn long for the update. I'm here impatiently waiting on the note 4. I just want to be able to take notes on the black screen. If this bad boy doesn't come soon I might just have to root. Congratulations folks.

no advertisements here.

Note 4 wasn't built for Marshmallow. I'm a T-Mobile store manager and I've received an impressive amount of returns due to Note 4 getting Lollipop, the phone seems useless. I wouldn't recommend if your phone is currently working perfectly.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
My gripe so far would be when Wi-Fi calling is activated I now get two cards in the notification screen that I can't make go away ... :(
I got that as well. Wasn't sure if it was caused by Good Lock or not. I just created a folder for these notifications. It's not as intrusive this way.
91487df506f5c779715c88088a2a1446.jpg

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Had it for a day now and it does seem a little faster in opening apps and so on. I have animations turned off so can't really speak about that. The battery seems slightly better but to be honest I always had great battery life (I have bluetooth on and leave wifi off). I did not do a factory reset after the install and no issues so far. The phone did get pretty warm during the process but it is at regular temp now and it sits inside a Tech21 case. I have it connected to my Acura via bluetooth and once I started up my vehicle I got a notification on the phone that needed me to authorize the connection which I did and haven't seen it since. This is much better than the update I had with my Note 4 last year but that was with AT&T and now I'm with T-Mobile... not sure if it's the carrier or a much better build of the update. All in all happy with it, only gripe is the awful folder colors.

dlh

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
The update has vastly improved my note 5. Better battery management and smooth as silk. Love it!

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
One quick question, wondering if this does it for everyone else. On the lock screen there is the phone and camera shortcut. The camera shortcut works fine but the phone one doesn't. I able to drag it until it's about the size of a half dollar and only able to see the # icon on the dial pad, then it wants me to enter my pin (which I do know). I thought this was supposed to be a shortcut and bypass the finger print/pin unlocking, is there somewhere else I'm supposed to change a setting or is this a security feature so people can just start using your phone? Thanks!

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
One quick question, wondering if this does it for everyone else. On the lock screen there is the phone and camera shortcut. The camera shortcut works fine but the phone one doesn't. I able to drag it until it's about the size of a half dollar and only able to see the # icon on the dial pad, then it wants me to enter my pin (which I do know). I thought this was supposed to be a shortcut and bypass the finger print/pin unlocking, is there somewhere else I'm supposed to change a setting or is this a security feature so people can just start using your phone? Thanks!

It was for an emergency call. Now that doesn't work. I can use my fingerprint or password and used my fingerprint then it brought up the dial pad.

Posted via the *Note 5*