T-Mobile note 5 finally gets marshmallow!!!

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, seems kind of pointless then to have it as a shortcut, I'll just turn it off.

It does seem pointless.
The camera one seems pointless when I have mine set to double tap the home button to bring the camera up. I'm going to change both.

Posted via the *Note 5*

ElKenster

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Hey all.
I've been using my fingerprint on the note 5 but since marshmallow makes you use a backup password I chose the pin. Needless to say I forgot the pin. Now I can't access smart lock and other stuff like that. Incant reset cuz it asks for a pin. Ugh suggestions?

Posted via the Android Central App

MalachyNG

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Updated yesterday. I really like marshmallow.

I like that there is a choice for a backup pin with fingerprint unlock because my password was a little too cumbersome every time I got junk on my thumb. It seems the fingerprint scanner is more accurate now too.

The phone/camera shortcuts on the lockscreen are now replaceable! I now have one side set for google hangouts and the other with google now. I like that. I did lose the option for live weather lock screen but that wasn't working great for a month or two, samsung probably stopped supporting it.

the only setting shortcut I would like to see added to the quicksettings pull down would be battery usage. Power save and ultra power save are options but there's no way I can see to set them to kick in automatically (maybe there is? I'm not sure).

animations are more fluid and apps feel like they're opening quicker

the material dark theme I use didn't convert all of the icons, but probably re-installing it will help? It did ask to update after I installed 6.0.1. It kind of bothers me the phone icon is always the one that doesn't get changed over because it's so out of place with a material theme. The stock theme isn't terrible anymore which is nice.

Haven't had any bad things happen yet

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Hey all.
I've been using my fingerprint on the note 5 but since marshmallow makes you use a backup password I chose the pin. Needless to say I forgot the pin. Now I can't access smart lock and other stuff like that. Incant reset cuz it asks for a pin. Ugh suggestions?

I use my finger print since my mm update yesterday. At first it was the swipe then password, but I went to settings and added a 3rd fingerprint setting and it works for me. I don't know if that third did it.

I just checked and it says "swipe to unlock" then the option to use a fingerprint or password. But I skip all that and just use my fingerprint.

Posted via the *Note 5*

waynew73

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I use my finger print since my mm update yesterday. At first it was the swipe then password, but I went to settings and added a 3rd fingerprint setting and it works for me. I don't know if that third did it.

I just checked and it says "swipe to unlock" then the option to use a fingerprint or password. But I skip all that and just use my fingerprint.

Posted via the *Note 5*

Since MM, I can no longer use the fingerprint scanner, it forces me to use pin or pattern every time.

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Since MM, I can no longer use the fingerprint scanner, it forces me to use pin or pattern every time.

That's odd. Mine says I have to swipe to unlock, but I just ignore that and use my fingerprint to unlock.

ETA have you added or changed your fingerprint since the update? I thought I needed to, so I did add a third fingerprint option after the update. Maybe that's what makes mine work.
Also, add several fingerprints, just buy touching. And I'm sure you're know, you don't need to swipe your finger, just touch the home button. Mine works so much better since the MM update.

Posted via the *Note 5*

Last edited:

nasc2k

Dec 28, 2014
Visit site

You might have to set your lock screen settings to use fingerprint again. I know I had to enable it again after updating.

dllrogers55

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Fingerprint to unlock is finally usable! It never worked right for me with numerous tries and fingerprints. Sometimes it would require a reboot due to a big watery circle showing. NOW, it unlocks instantly! So fast you can hardly see the lock screen wallpaper. What a huge difference! I hope it continues to work this good. Happy to use fingerprints again and maybe now I will try Samsung Pay again. I was always hesitant getting to the register and having to stop and use a dang pin number when the fingerprint didn't work. Hooray!

movielover76

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
It's been a really solid update for me , I had no need to even do a factory reset, which is impressive.

Device seems to definitely be faster especially in multitasking and doze seems to be working as expected

b1time

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
Can't seem to find the google settings app, was it moved within the system like on nexus devices? Or am I missing something?

EDIT: Google settings is under applications on settings. weird

Guru

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
The update went smoothly and although some things improved like texting I do have an issue with battery drain when using navigation (waze). It drains it significantly faster (I would estimate twice as fast easily). It has not affected battery life outside of this which was excellent. Anyone else with this issue?

bullz7210

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
Anyone with an S-View case having issues? Mine won't show my wallpaper, and I don't have the ability to use my camera from the S-View window anymore.

lhwilson

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
My S6 Edge + got updated along with the Note 5 Monday and the S-View case features were not working afterwards. Did a factory reset yesterday and it works now. Kind of a pain, but...

anon(9184936)

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
They always recommend that you do a factory reset after a system update. Especially a big file as Marshmallow was. The reason is so that way you know it is a fresh install with no hiccups.

zsufi

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Update is great overall, phone is faster and smoother. Battery life definitely improved, getting 4 to 4.5 hours of screen time in 18 hours or so. Doze works great overnight when phone is not charging. Losing 4% in 8 hours, could have been better but still big improvement. Not allowing most apps to see location etc is great as well. Only issue is with the power saving. When it is turned on data for messaging apps etc is not working even on WiFi. Can not send messages on whatsapp for example. Chrome works other apps work like I can read news etc but messaging apps do not have access to data. So I turned off the power saving.

Guru

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Small update on my battery drain issue. Updated waze and seems to be back to normal power consumption. Will keep all updated

Golden Eagle1

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Read the headline for this and couldn't help but laugh thinking...hooray, just in time for Android N to come out. Always behind the 8 ball so to speak. Ridiculous how long these carrier softwares take to roll out updates. All they want to do is sell you a new device and upgrading already sold ones is a very distant second.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
just in time for Android N to come out

Android N is still in developer preview. I have to ask - - so would you rather them not update the phone at all and leave it on the software it came with just because another version is eventually coming out?