pop out apps and multi window

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
One of the things that I think is si cool about the galaxy line is the multi window and pop out apps. However I find that I underutilize this feature.

What are sine use cases that you guys use these features for?

Posted via the Android Central App

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
That is the only reason I've ever pondered rooting my device: to apply the 'universal' Multi-Window hack. If all apps supported this I'd be happy and probably use it more.

The one case I use it the most is when taking notes and reading e-mails or browsing a web page. Chrome used to support multiple instances (separate windows for different pages), but not anymore, so when I want to compare or browse two pages, I have to use Chrome and the stock browser.

I would use Netflix and something else (probably Facebook), but Netflix is 'so smart' that even though you're in multiwindow, if that's not the active window, video stops. Good one, Netflix... ¬¬

Oh, and when I'm reading at night I usually keep Play Books in one half and an IM app to talk to friends/family on the other (it helps that the keyboard can be made to float to keep the screen from jumping up and down when the keyboard appears).

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I mainly used it when paying bills. I keep track of which bills to pay in a spreadsheet, and use either a browser or my banking app to pay them.

I also use it when watching video and receive a text.

TheMatrix31

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I like streaming a game or something in my browser or on YouTube and having my Twitter app open so I can tweet while watching if need be.

I don't use it that much but it comes in handy every now and then.

Wish multiwindow was for every app and not just certain ones.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I like streaming a game or something in my browser or on YouTube and having my Twitter app open so I can tweet while watching if need be.

I don't use it that much but it comes in handy every now and then.

Wish multiwindow was for every app and not just certain ones.

You can apply the hack I mentioned before and make all apps Multi-Window, but that requires rooting your device.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Try this. No root required, doesn't work for every app, but it does work for most. https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...i.xperiacle.multiwindow.enable&token=GZDSdo69 t

Posted via the Android Central App

Thanks! I had heard about that one, but I'm weary to use it because it's basically re-packaging an app into a different file to 'sideload' (and not that I don't trust the developer, but I don't know if the metadata is the only thing being injected into the code). Also the fact that apps become 'unupdatable' unless you go through the hoops is not ideal. But true, this is, at least, a good non-rooted option if you're willing to exchange one set of risks/nuisances for another.