New Note 5 on Lollipop..Should I Upgrade to Marshmallow?

bubbarob1978

Jan 30, 2016
Visit site
Just got a Note 5 for Verizon...As the title states, should I upgrade or are there a ton of bugs? So far I have read a few issues with battery drain and WiFi not working correctly.

Thanks for the input.

Rob

SophiaPetrillo

Jan 20, 2016
Visit site
I have the S6 on Verizon, so I'm not sure if my experience applies to the Note 5, but the Marshmallow update improved my phone overall. It was faster, the battery lasted slightly longer, and many little things were improved. Some people have experienced malfunctions with Marshmallow, but the upgrade seems like a mixed bag. It's been out for the Note 5 longer than it has for the S6, so I'm sure some of the kinks are worked out, if any existed at all.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I have a T-Mobile Note 5 and I am still on Lollipop.

I have it running a custom rom which is rooted so I would have to restore the phone to upgrade to MM. I also have a S7 Edge on MM and really, there isn't much that I consider must have so I have no problem leaving my Note 5 on Lollipop.

My Note 5 is getting some amazing battery life that I could never get on the stock firmware. That problem most likely would be fixed on MM but I don't want to risk it.

It also may not be possible to downgrade to Lollipop if there are problems with MM. With old Note 5/Note Edge, once I upgraded to 5.1.1, downgrading was no longer possible even with the unlocked bootloader.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
On Verizon with Note 5, no problems after upgrading to Marshmallow. Good battery life. During workweek off charger @ 0530, back on charger around 2200, and typically end up around 40-50% - depending upon usage patterns, screen on time, and cell signal quality/strength during the day.

Last edited:

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I updated to MM the day it came out. I have not had a single issue. I noticed improved battery life right away and everything is very smooth. Of course I have quite a clean track record with my phones. I don't seem to ever have the issues that I see complained about in forums. I can't say why for sure so I won't speculate.

onlysamsung6

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
I have the note 5 and I upgraded a couple of days ago and I say upgrade besides the different stuff it's slightly faster battery is better and I haven't had any problems expect when in recent apps sometimes when I got to exit and app it won't but you just need to swipe it up or down and redo it nothing major though and doesn't happen that often

Kendahl Titcomb

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site
I would say yes but being that Verizon has had some issues I would back up all your data and then after the update do a factory reset. By doing this you give the update a few start and your phone should have some great battery life as well as a bump in speed. I have the MM update on T-Mobile but overall it has made my phone feel smooth and overall just a great restore of a really good phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

Giannni

Apr 24, 2016
Visit site
Bought a Note 5 10 days ago from C Spire. Couldn't use MMS after they update to MM 6.0.1. . After many argument back and forth I was told that they couldn't back to a previous release so I have got a new Note running 5.1.1. The reason I was given was that Samsung write software for all different vendors and they screwed up the one for C Spire and are working on a patch........so beware C spire user.......do not upgrade your Note 5 to MM !!

bubbarob1978

Jan 30, 2016
Visit site
I took the plunge..No issues with the hotspot. Standby time has really increased while it sits on my desk at work. Not sure if the battery life during use is any better. So far it seems Tinfoil for Facebook may be the culprit as GSam battery monitor states it's using 82% of battery over a 3.5 hour period. I uninstalled it so we'll see. It's much more snappy also. Thanks for all the comments. Really appreciate it.

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I'm on my second Note 5 warranty replacement. After the initial Marshmallow update, my Note 5 went haywire and had to be replaced. I ran the second on Lollipop until the most recent MM update that came through with some 'fixes' that I believe came through. This time I only did a wipe cache partition before the update then after the update. I had enough of the factory resets.

At first, the phone was burning through the battery fairly quickly. But over time, the battery drain has quieted down a bit even though the screen usage still remains in the high category, averaging 40%, which when compared to Lollipop, is very high.

I still perform twice a week, the wipe partition cache and this appears to have helped. Things seem to be settling down. And that's a positive sign.

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol