Google Services - Stay Awake Time

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Yesterday evening after getting home, I started to notice the phone getting a bit warm. Outside temp was in the 60's and indoors around 75, so no ambient temperature conditions that could have contributed.

Upon further inspection, looks like Google Services process(es) got hung up and lead to a lengthy "Stay Awake" state. Battery went from ~ 40% upon arriving home around 630pm to 0% before 9pm. First time I've ever let the battery get that low or go to the point where the phone shuts down on its own.

I did take a few photos at work and thought perhaps that Google Photos was creating some warmth due to the phone working harder during the backup process (backup set for WiFi only). In either case, one or more Google Services processes appears to have been the source for the rapid drain.

Anyone else experience similar problems recently?
Screenshot_2016-05-02-22-07-52.jpgScreenshot_2016-05-02-22-07-24.jpg

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I had the same problem over the weekend. I don't know if Google was doing some updating in the background but I ended up shutting the phone down for about 2 hours last night (this was after clearing the cache earlier in the day which didn't stop the heat producing service from running amuck). After the shutdown everything went back to normal. I'm guessing Google was doing some back ground updating and it was completed so my shut down was probably a coincidence but it stopped nevertheless. Shrug.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
It happened to me last night again, and I think its related to Google Photos backup getting hung up or the process for that is not letting go of CPU, which in turn is causing the excessive battery drain. I let the phone drain down to zero % battery, and that seems to have cured it.

This is the 2nd time I've encountered this problem since getting the phone in late Oct, 2015. I cleared cache at around 7%, but that didn't help, so think its related to the Google Photos backup process as I had some pictures pending for backup when I got home (set to backup on WiFi only). Let it recharge overnight (as I always do), and so far off charger at 100%, I don't see any signs of excessive drain.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
My Note 5 is running a custom ROM that doesn't have Google Photos even installed on it. I started noticing Google Play Services being high on the battery usage stats over the last week or so.

I haven't found anything that will help yet.

Screen time is 44 minutes

Screenshot_20161013-033225.jpg

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Maybe a cache wipe will help? This particular problem hasn't surfaced for me in a few months. Frustrating when random stuff like this happens, and without an easy way to pinpoint root cause(s).

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Maybe a cache wipe will help? This particular problem hasn't surfaced for me in a few months. Frustrating when random stuff like this happens, and without an easy way to pinpoint root cause(s).

The only apps I installed over the last few weeks was Google Maps, Gmail and YouTube. I deleted them all and will see how this goes. I don't use Gmail or any of those apps that much to where I would miss them. Maybe this will solve it.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Much better today after deleting those three Google Apps. I may try adding them back one by one to see what the problem app may be but I'm not in a hurry to do so. Google play is at 10%. It's getting lower as I use the phone now.

IMG_0517.JPG

Last edited:

dzstoys

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site
Much better today after deleting those three Google Apps. I may try adding them back one by one to see what the problem app may be but I'm not in a hurry to do so. Google play is at 10%. It's getting lower as I use the phone now.

View attachment 242244

Thanks for posting this, your detective work may have saved me a lot of time. I am not ready to declare victory yet, but I used EZ Disabler to lock down Google Maps and my battery life seems to have improved considerably.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for posting this, your detective work may have saved me a lot of time. I am not ready to declare victory yet, but I used EZ Disabler to lock down Google Maps and my battery life seems to have improved considerably.

Nice. I am pretty sure it was Google Maps for me as well. The ROM I am running had no Google apps at all except the play store installed. I installed Google Maps last weekend and that's when I started noticing the problem.

dzstoys

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site
After a day, I can still say that it made a difference, but not as much as I had hoped. I am still draining battery at twice the rate my Note 7 did, but that is still an improvement. I am consuming on average about 4% per hour with light use, but before locking down Google Maps, I was draining closer to 7% per hour.

dzstoys

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site
My battery life has gone downhill again, well sometimes. This morning, I pulled the phone off of the wireless charger at 6:30am, and by 7:00am when I got to work my battery was down to 94%. The phone was in my front pocket the entire time, so it had nothing to do with screen on time or app usage.

On the other hand, I took the phone off of it's charger last night around 7:00pm and at 12:00am, wiht light usage (texting and email) I was only down to 94%.

It seems like the battery does just fine when the phone is not in motion, which is leading me to believe it has something to do with location services or the built in sensors used for S-Health etc. I have disabled all of the apps I can think of that would interact with these sensors, so I am at a loss on what to try next.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol