Battery drain, lagging, and over heating

PinkLipstick

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Is it just me or is anybody else having all 3 problems with their Note 5? Here lately my battery has been draining super fast. I do not use my phone while I am at work (Uncle Sam has us on tight security) but when I go on a break, usually around 930, my battery is already at 50% or lower. I may have only received one or two emails and maybe 5 text messages AND I have the power saving mode turned on. I also have some serious lagging. When I swipe to get to a different screen it takes forever to switch, opening apps is a pain, and pulling up the dial pad also takes a while. The overheating is ridiculous on and off of the charger, it get too hot to hold sometimes. What the heck is going on? Should I do a factory reset? Should I call it in and get a replacement?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi there,

Unfortunately without more information this is really hard to debug. Overheating definitely means that something is using up your processor excessively, so my first attempt to solve this would be to boot up the phone in Safe Mode and see if that helps (in Safe Mode, 3rd party apps are blocked from starting up on their own, so only those apps you specifically open will run). If that's the case, then a 3rd party app you installed is causing the drain.

Second question I would make is to check your mobile signal strength. If it's too low, your phone might be struggling too much to get a signal and that is a big drain on battery.

Adding a picture of the battery drain and app consumption report might help pin-point which app, if any, is causing this.

It could be a hardware issue, too, but that's the last thing I'd consider if your phone was working properly before (unless it's the battery itself, in which case trying out a different battery should get rid of the issues).

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I had this same problem for 2 days this week. It was the Facebook app and its updates. I disabled Facebook and uninstalled all of the updates, now using the mobile chrome app, and the battery drainage and heat problem are resolved.

mlbyanks11

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Is it just me or is anybody else having all 3 problems with their Note 5? Here lately my battery has been draining super fast. I do not use my phone while I am at work (Uncle Sam has us on tight security) but when I go on a break, usually around 930, my battery is already at 50% or lower. I may have only received one or two emails and maybe 5 text messages AND I have the power saving mode turned on. I also have some serious lagging. When I swipe to get to a different screen it takes forever to switch, opening apps is a pain, and pulling up the dial pad also takes a while. The overheating is ridiculous on and off of the charger, it get too hot to hold sometimes. What the heck is going on? Should I do a factory reset? Should I call it in and get a replacement?

Factory reset only works half the time. I have the same issue where the battery 🔋 drains too fast and gets hot. That's everyone's answer hard reset. You can try and use the battery save doze feature where it optimizes all your apps to save battery. It helped for me.

Posted via the Android Central App

Inquisitive1

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
My battery was getting to hot to the point where a whole burned into my cord. Did this from day 1. My husband went into TMobile to buy me a new charger to avoid doing the whole phone call thing and they gave him a cord for free. Phone works like new.

Posted via Platinum Gold Note 5

WYSIWYG57

May 23, 2016
Visit site
Both my wife and I have noticed this on our Note 5's in the last week.
My app manager says that FaceBook is consuming 42% of my CPU.
I don't even use facebook on my phone, however I can't uninstall it, since it's a built-in App.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Both my wife and I have noticed this on our Note 5's in the last week.
My app manager says that FaceBook is consuming 42% of my CPU.
I don't even use facebook on my phone, however I can't uninstall it, since it's a built-in App.

Try disabling Facebook app in the Application Manager. I also don't use Facebook, so that's one of the first apps to get disabled.
Applications\Application Manager\Facebook\Disable