Need help with GMAIL password change

ColoradoHiker

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
After spending the last 3 hours trying to figure this out, I have given up. I decided to update my Gmail account password, which I did on my desktop. Password change worked fine. fyi, I do have 2 step verification turned on, which may be a problem here.

My Note 5 then indicates "Account Action Required". It is not syncing, and I using both the old and new password, no recognition.

Lots of web searches, but read a lot of confusing info, such as turn off 2 step verification, going into Settings and trying to sync, etc. Most of the references I see are not Note 5 specific, and refer to options or settings that I simply can't see. One long rambling youtube video on setting up google application specific passwords (for a Note 5?) totally confused me.

At this point I am leaning towards deleting my google account on my phone and then reinstalling it, but now am concerned that this would trigger some sort of Marshmallow security feature and lock me out of the phone.

This should be an easy thing to do, but it has me beat at the moment. If someone can point me to the right reference, it would be appreciated.

Last edited:

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
After spending the last 3 hours trying to figure this out, I have given up. I decided to update my Gmail account password, which I did on my desktop. Password change worked fine. fyi, I do have 2 step verification turned on, which may be a problem here.

My Note 5 then indicates "Account Action Required". It is not syncing, and I using both the old and new password, no recognition.

Lots of web searches, but read a lot of confusing info, such as turn off 2 step verification, going into Settings and trying to sync, etc. Most of the references I see are not Note 5 specific, and refer to options or settings that I simply can't see. One long rambling youtube video on setting up google application specific passwords (for a Note 5?) totally confused me.

At this point I am leaning towards deleting my google account on my phone and then reinstalling it, but now am concerned that this would trigger some sort of lollipop security feature and lock me out of the phone.

This should be an easy thing to do, but it has me beat at the moment. If someone can point me to the right reference, it would be appreciated.

The simple answer is, when you have 2 step set up, google ASSIGNS you a password based on the device you choose, you can't type in your new password, you have to use the assigned password.

This should help get you going

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833?hl=en

Cheers

ColoradoHiker

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
Forgot to mention. I have gone into c.go/recover, type in my password, and it says "looks like 2 step verification is turned on". As I can access gmail via my desktop and not my mobile, it says I need to use application specific passwords. Then it gets really confusing. It directs me to "my" App passwords page, I sign in using a different email account, and it says "The setting you are looking for is not available for your account."

How do I set up an app password then? On my desktop? Set it up for my Note 5 for gmail or is it for Google?

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Forgot to mention. I have gone into c.go/recover, type in my password, and it says "looks like 2 step verification is turned on". As I can access gmail via my desktop and not my mobile, it says I need to use application specific passwords. Then it gets really confusing. It directs me to "my" App passwords page, I sign in using a different email account, and it says "The setting you are looking for is not available for your account."

How do I set up an app password then? On my desktop? Set it up for my Note 5 for gmail or is it for Google?

It's all in this link

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833?hl=en

Visit your App passwords page. You may be asked to sign in to your Google Account.
At the bottom, click Select app and choose the app you’re using.
Click Select device and choose the device you’re using.
Select Generate.
Follow the instructions to enter the App password (the 16 character code in the yellow bar) on your device.
Select Done.
Once you are finished, you won’t see that App password code again. However, you will see a list of apps and devices you’ve created App passwords for.

Note: You may not be able to create an App password for less secure apps. Learn more about allowing less secure apps.

BigPuddin

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
This happened to me and I had to do a factory reset. I couldn't access Google Music on my phone. I turned off 2-step and did a factory reset.

ColoradoHiker

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
mhinc, I can get only 1/2 way through this. Using my desktop, I can generate an App Password, then "follow the instructions to enter the App password on your device." That is where I am stuck. I have an "Account Action Required" screen that does not recognize my old or new gmail password or the App password. My Chrome setting for google accounts does not show any password. If I go into Settings, Accounts, Google, I can see my gmail address listed, but cannot change the password or enter the App Password. Where else do I look?

ColoradoHiker

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
This may be part of the problem I am having. My desktop says I have 2 step verification. My cell phone says it is turned off. Just turned it on, and will try again.

BigPuddin

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
It didn't shut my phone off, but definitely follow your gut. Who knows what small difference we had in the beginning of our situations that could lead to drastic changes.

BigPuddin

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Also, tmobile had not yet updated the Note 5 with Marshmallow at that point, so I was running Lollipop. Maybe it's a problem that has been fixed with MM? That may not be helpful to your specific situation, but it may be helpful in the long run.

I'm not sure App Passwords will help, because as I said in the thread I started in February (and linked to above), it seems to be a Google Play Services problem, not a specific app problem, but the problem then manifests itself in individual Google Apps.

ColoradoHiker

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
Status update: No success yet. 2 step verification is on. I had two email addresses associated with my google account, a Gmail and a Msn email address. After turning on the 2 step verification on the mobile device (to match my desktop setting), I now have 2 "Account Action Required", one for each email address. Looks like I am going backwards.
When I try to go "Next" from the Account Action Required, I am asked for a password. I only get one option, and that is to enter an email password. My old and new passwords for Gmail do not work, neither does the App Password that I generate.
Going to my Settings/Accounts, I am unable to find where I can actually change passwords there as well.
This shouldn't be rocket science, and there has to be something that I am not quite seeing where to input the App generated password. Do I have to name the password very specifically, such as "username.gmail.com" or can I just name it "gmail"?

I will look at BigPuddin's earlier thread shortly.

If I have to do something drastic such as delete my accounts on my cell phone and re-install, I will do so. I just don't believe that should be necessary.

BigPuddin

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
My thread just details what was going on with my phone so you can see if it's similar to your situation. From there you can decide if a hard reset is something you want to do.

ColoradoHiker

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
Also, tmobile had not yet updated the Note 5 with Marshmallow at that point, so I was running Lollipop. Maybe it's a problem that has been fixed with MM?

I may have gotten everyone confused a bit, my error. I am on Verizon, and do have Marshmallow installed. I will correct my reference to Lollipop in an earlier entry.

ColoradoHiker

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
My thread just details what was going on with my phone so you can see if it's similar to your situation. From there you can decide if a hard reset is something you want to do.

Your thread mentions something that is not happening on my end. "When I press the "Account Action Required" notification it brings me to the log in screen. I type in my password and it goes through and goes to 2 step verification."

I do not get a 2 step verification. I get stopped on the password entry. It will not recognize either my old or new password. Am investigating.

ColoradoHiker

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
Interestingly, I have been trying to get my google account "account action required" fixed, and still no joy. As I had two "account action required", one for google (gmail) (shouldn't they be the same?), decided to see if I could get the MSN email addressed. Entered my old password, and it connected! It then sent me a text verification code, but then didn't ask for it to be input anywhere. strange, it is, but at least the msn portion is working again. (for now)

Am going to see if I can find out why google / gmail does not recognize my changed password, which started the entire chain of events.

ColoradoHiker

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
Decided to change my gmail password again, as nothing else seemed to be working. Changed it on my desktop, and then tried it on my Note 5, and IT WORKED! It did ask me to put in my verification code which it sent via text message, and now it is working again.

I have absolutely no idea why the password change of last night, which the Note 5 recognized as being changed, did not accept the password every time I typed it in. Changing the password one more time, and it worked the first time. No app specific password required after all.

Strange, this is. But hopefully this string of messages will be beneficial to someone in the future not to fall into the same traps as I have done.

BigPuddin

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I just want to know the proper way to change your password when you have 2 step verification turned on since that seems to be what kicked off the problem for both of us.

ColoradoHiker

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
I just want to know the proper way to change your password when you have 2 step verification turned on since that seems to be what kicked off the problem for both of us.

I will tell you what little I know, and try to eliminate all the false paths I went down.

My fundamental problem which caused all the anxiety and false steps was (I believe) due to an error within either the Note 5, gmail, or Marshmallow. Not sure what it was, and hopefully not replicable, but the new password was not relayed to the Note 5. Once that was fixed (with a 2nd password change on my desktop into Gmail), the process was quite straightforward. I did NOT have to set up or use any App specific passwords. That whole discussion above was immaterial to what finally worked for me. So, assuming no one else has this same issue...

1. I changed my gmail password on my desktop. Straightforward.
2. Immediately received an "Account Action Required" notification on the phone. Opened the action alert, which had one option only to re-sign into my gmail account. The screen I was working on had only one option, and that was to enter a password.
3. Entered the new password that I just changed on the desktop on the Note 5.
4. The new password was immediately accepted, and the next screen had a spot to enter a G-6 digit number.
5. My phone received a text notification with a G-6 digit number. Entered the G-6 digit number, and I was then signed in, and the alert disappeared.

Looking back, this was straightforward after I made a 2nd password change on my desktop PC. Something must have hiccupped along the way to cause all the grief. I was tempted to turn off the 2 step verification this AM, but only required the new password and then entering in the google text message G-security code. For now, I will leave it on.

I am going to try this again on a different password soon (not today!), and see if I have troubles again. Am going to do more research in this area, too.

Also....remember up above I mentioned a msn email account as well that got locked out and I received a 2nd Account Action Required alert? I was signed back in after entering the (unchanged) password. While I did receive a G-security code text message, I never made it back to that screen to enter the code, and it still works, and the alert is gone.

Google searches for how to solve this had all sorts of guesses how to get the password changed, most of them dealing with changing the password on the phone as opposed to changing it on the PC first. Appreciate being able to bounce a few ideas off of everyone. Drove me crazy for a day.

mr kumar

Oct 15, 2017
Visit site

At this point I am leaning towards deleting my google account on my phone and then reinstalling it, but now am concerned that this would trigger some sort of Marshmallow security feature and lock me out of the phone.

I don't know why you have struggled a lot. there is an easy tut https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtOM7TRLv64