My battery life on my VZW note 5 has been horrible lately. 2.5 hours of screen on time max over a 9-10 hour period. I am not a crazy heavy user and thought factory resetting and starting over would be the key.

Not quite. Still getting pretty crappy battery life. When I take my phone off the charger and it just sits, the battery drains 2-3% for doing nothing at all.

Starting to feel like an iPhone user with always having a charger near by.

Any ideas or what I can try?
    sardar615 likes this.
    05-28-2016 04:02 PM
    Not sure what you can try, but I feel your pain. Been happening to my Bell Note 5 for about 2 months now. I unplug the phone in the morning and after 5 min of SOT I've lost 5-7%. I've got the screen brighness all the way down and that hasn't seemed to help. I too have done the factory reset without any improvements. I've also turned off LTE and stopped pretty much ever app but the stock ones from running in the background. Nothing seems to help.
    05-28-2016 05:01 PM
    My battery life on my VZW note 5 has been horrible lately. 2.5 hours of screen on time max over a 9-10 hour period. I am not a crazy heavy user and thought factory resetting and starting over would be the key.

Not quite. Still getting pretty crappy battery life. When I take my phone off the charger and it just sits, the battery drains 2-3% for doing nothing at all.

Starting to feel like an iPhone user with always having a charger near by.

Any ideas or what I can try?
    I'm having the same exact issue. I take the phone 📱 off the charger 🔌 ND within like 5 minutes its already down ⬇ to like 97 percent. Ridiculous

Posted via the Android Central App
    05-28-2016 09:41 PM
    Oh good, so it sounds like there is no hope for a good battery anymore.
    sardar615 likes this.
    05-29-2016 06:04 AM
    Sorry to hear this.
    But, I don't experience this at all.

You can always try the typical troubleshooting:
    - Battery monitor (GSam is a good one) to see what's hitting the battery hard
    - Check running services under Dev Options
    - Use Package Disabler Pro to kill everything you don't need

There are sooo many variables (settings, usage, installed apps, signal strength, running services) when it comes to battery life. And, there are just too many of us that don't experience anything of the sort for this to be a "thing".

Report back on your troubleshooting.
    Hope you can identify the problem.
    05-29-2016 08:10 AM
    Sorry to hear this.

There are sooo many variables (settings, usage, installed apps, signal strength, running services) when it comes to battery life. And, there are just too many of us that don't experience anything of the sort for this to be a "thing".

Just because you don't experience the issue doesn't mean other people can't. And its actually more common than you think with this note 5. GSAM doesn't really explain much from what I see.

05-29-2016 05:39 PM
    Didn't say that "other people can't" experience battery issues.
    I did say however that there are many variables that come into play that affect battery life.
    GSam is actually a great app for troubleshooting battery drain - probably the best out there.

If you insist that the battery problem you are experiencing is an inherent Note 5 problem, you are entitled to your opinion.
    Hope you get it sorted out.
    Jesus Delgadillo likes this.
    05-29-2016 06:16 PM
    I can totally relate to this thread. I feel the same on my Note 5, I think it worsened ever since I've upgraded to Marshmallow actually. I think battery was much better on Lollipop.
    05-30-2016 08:21 AM
    For those of you having battery life issues after update to marshmallow did you ever do a factory reset from recovery after the update or did you just run with the phone after the OTA update was received?
    05-30-2016 11:02 AM
    Sorry to hear this.

I agree as I also don't experience this at all with my Note 5. My phone is taken off the charger at 6am and put back at 10 pm and I still usually have around 45% left. I'm a moderate to heavy user with plenty of apps installed and I'm on it all day long for work purposes.

A lot of my friends and co workers who own Note 5's usually get the same results also. I'm not saying others aren't getting poor battery life. I just haven't met a person that has.

Posted via the AT&T Note 5
    05-30-2016 11:03 AM
    I agree as I also don't experience this at all with my Note 5. My phone is taken off the charger at 6am and put back at 10 pm and I still usually have around 45% left. I'm a moderate to heavy user with plenty of apps installed and I'm on it all day long for work purposes.

A lot of my friends and co workers who own Note 5's usually get the same results also. I'm not saying others aren't getting poor battery life. I just haven't met a person that has.

Me too

05-30-2016 11:31 AM
    For those of you having battery life issues after update to marshmallow did you ever do a factory reset from recovery after the update or did you just run with the phone after the OTA update was received?
    I did not do a factory reset after updating.
    05-30-2016 12:22 PM
    I started just using it after the upgrade and found the battery drain. Did a factory reset without restoring, just did the setup again but the battery drain is still there. Mine is mostly associated with the screen on time. I did a 2 hour conference call today with the screen off and the speak phone at full volume and only had a 10% loss in battery power. Once I was done I had the phone screen on answering emails and after 15 min I had lost another 15 percent just from the screen on time.
    05-30-2016 08:27 PM

I'm reading this and would like to know what it is you're calling 'work purposes' and 'on it' for sixteen hours and STILL have 45% remaining?

Is it just checking an occasional email? Occasional Internet usage? Phone calls?

For the record, I'm not doubting your experience... I'm a heavy user, have been on my phones for years. Used to carry four spare batteries. No social media or apps at all! A lot of Internet and calls.

I have to charge at least TWICE a day, after running phone to 40% or so.

My Note 5 is running MM and Lollipop prior. Running cleanly and conservatively with no location, brightness down to 40%, you know... conservatively.

I just find your 'heavy usage' for sixteen hours, with 45% remaining... much different that what I've ever experienced with any smartphone.

05-31-2016 05:02 AM
    One explanation is being on wifi all/most of day and having a strong cell signal. Battery goes a long way in that circumstance. If you are away from wifi and you're cell is not the greatest it will drain quite quickly with use.
    don Adams likes this.
    05-31-2016 07:16 AM
    One explanation is being on wifi all/most of day and having a strong cell signal. Battery goes a long way in that circumstance. If you are away from wifi and you're cell is not the greatest it will drain quite quickly with use.
    I've got ULTRA STRONG 4 channer high speed wifi and VERY STRONG CELL SIGNAL, both of which were personally checked out at my house by Verizon head system engineer here in Denver.

In my case, I'm recharging AT LEAST TWICE when battery gets down to 40%.

Like I said, my phone is conservatively run energy wise with NO FB or any social media.

I'm interested in finding out how to get sixteen hours on one charge of heavy use with 45% remaining.

05-31-2016 07:35 AM
    I'm kind of like you then. I have two wireless chargers....one at home and one at work. It's hard to say how often I charge as I will often just put the phone on the charger when I'm not using it. I could probably get through the day of moderate use on one charge but it would be close and you always want to have some juice to spare in case you need your phone for the unexpected. I use GSam to keep an eye on apps, keep the brightness down....I do have a large number of apps....over 200 (though I am an icon pack addict so those count but don't use any juice when inactive) and alot of them take a small bite at least.
    05-31-2016 09:02 AM
    Factory reset does squat

05-31-2016 11:29 PM
    I started just using it after the upgrade and found the battery drain. Did a factory reset without restoring, just did the setup again but the battery drain is still there. Mine is mostly associated with the screen on time. I did a 2 hour conference call today with the screen off and the speak phone at full volume and only had a 10% loss in battery power. Once I was done I had the phone screen on answering emails and after 15 min I had lost another 15 percent just from the screen on time.
    I experienced this for a short while after the marshmallow update. Doze didn't seem to work at all. Battery would drain 2 to 3% on standby per hour with package disabler pro. But now after maybe a month everything seems to be okay. For example just yday I got 18hrs with 4.3hrs screen on time and 25% battery left. So it could be just another app causing this drain. Even a prev perfectly good app could do this after an update.
    I downloaded this app called doze from the appstore and used it only over night and the battery drain prob was solved. However I realised that using the phone with doze app actuvated would decrease battery life at least in my case. So it's only good for standby. But now my battery performance is pretty good even without doze. Maybe the battery was just getting used to marshmallow.
    06-01-2016 01:00 AM
    I'm reading this and would like to know what it is you're calling 'work purposes' and 'on it' for sixteen hours and STILL have 45% remaining?

Is it just checking an occasional email? Occasional Internet usage? Phone calls?

For the record, I'm not doubting your experience... I'm a heavy user, have been on my phones for years. Used to carry four spare batteries. No social media or apps at all! A lot of Internet and calls.

I have to charge at least TWICE a day, after running phone to 40% or so.

My Note 5 is running MM and Lollipop prior. Running cleanly and conservatively with no location, brightness down to 40%, you know... conservatively.

I just find your 'heavy usage' for sixteen hours, with 45% remaining... much different that what I've ever experienced with any smartphone.

When I say work purposes that includes making a lot of phone calls, reading and sending emails, Internet browsing and video conferencing. I'm not on the phone for 16 hours straight but I'm constantly using it throughout the day.

I haved also owned once owned both the Note 3 and 4 but I have gotten better battery life with the 5.

06-02-2016 03:31 PM
    I do not have a Note 5, I have a Note Edge. Your problem is exactly mine. I can take my phone off the charger in the morning, take a shower, fix my breakfast and send 2 text messages. By the time I get to my car in the parking garage I'm at 97%. I have to carry a damn charger with me now because I can't even get through 8 hours at work. Never had an issue until MM.

Something about that update butchers battery life.

Posted Via Galaxy Note Edge. Yea, the phone is perfect...
    Mike_Luchia likes this.
    06-03-2016 08:46 PM