Sudden battery drain since update 6/21/16

BuckingAwesome

May 12, 2016
Visit site
Ever since the security update, my note 5 has had significant battery drain. I always turn my WiFi, data, location services off while at work. Before, I could work 8-10 hours and only drop maybe 20% of the battery. Today it dropped 70% in 7 hours and completely died. Any suggestions?

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Ever since the security update, my note 5 has had significant battery drain. I always turn my WiFi, data, location services off while at work. Before, I could work 8-10 hours and only drop maybe 20% of the battery. Today it dropped 70% in 7 hours and completely died. Any suggestions?

At the 70% battery charge the phone died? (am I missing something here) Have you done a "clear cache" and/or a "factory reset"?

dzstoys

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site
I am having the same problem, I am seeing a battery drain between 7 & 10% an hour most of the time. I road my bicycle to work today while streaming an online radio station, over the hour long ride + the 10 minutes I had the phone off of the charger before leaving home I lost 18% of the battery. Prior to MM I would lose 8% in the same situation. I think I am going to be doing a factory reset over the weekend.

Is there any advantage to going to Best Buy and having the Samsung rep re-flash my phone or is the factory reset through the phone menu basically the same thing? I don't really want to go through this at all and I sure don't want to have to do it twice...

pappy35

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I've had the same problem. The phone used to drain at between 3-4 percent per hour. Ever since the recent update (prior to MM), it's been over 7% average. Same usage, same places. Now I'm back to having to monitor the phone all day and it's getting on my last damn nerve. I have done several cache-wipes but really don't want to do a reset.

I was really hoping that MM, with this Doze feature, would have restored the longevity I was accustomed to but I'm disappointed that it seems to have had zero effect.

PS - I have never tried a reset to this phone. Is there a way to easily restore it or will I have to manually backup everything (pictures, music, etc.) and restore them and redo all my settings, Nova setup, etc?

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I've had the same problem. The phone used to drain at between 3-4 percent per hour. Ever since the recent update (prior to MM), it's been over 7% average. Same usage, same places. Now I'm back to having to monitor the phone all day and it's getting on my last damn nerve. I have done several cache-wipes but really don't want to do a reset.

I was really hoping that MM, with this Doze feature, would have restored the longevity I was accustomed to but I'm disappointed that it seems to have had zero effect.

PS - I have never tried a reset to this phone. Is there a way to easily restore it or will I have to manually backup everything (pictures, music, etc.) and restore them and redo all my settings, Nova setup, etc?

Make sure you backup your photos, contacts, calendars, music, ringtones, and other data to the cloud. Google makes this easy for most of these kinds of data. Then use Samsung Smart Switch with your phone and PC or Mac and backup your phone which will also backup the previously mentioned data and the settings and apps installed on your phone. (Never hurts to have redundant backups).
Then do your Factory Reset which will restore the phone to out of box condition and start over with the built-in set-up wizard. It will still take a couple of hours to fine tune but you will be up and able to send and receive calls, emails, and text messages in under an hour after the factory reset in my experience,

pappy35

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Completed the reset and though it went better than expected using Smart Switch it didn't restore all the way back up.

• There's an occasional boot loop when entering the pin code.
  • The fingerprint scanner no longer works to unlock the phone (despite being selected, it only works with a swipe-unlock).
  • None of the phone settings (or preferences) were restored.
  • The keyboard no longer has the top row of dedicated number keys.

I haven't been able to check battery drain yet but since I foresee another FDR in the near future I'm not going to worry about that for now.

Any ideas?

PS - I did a cache wipe after the reboot.

dllrogers55

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Completed the reset and though it went better than expected using Smart Switch it didn't restore all the way back up.

• There's an occasional boot loop when entering the pin code.
  • The fingerprint scanner no longer works to unlock the phone (despite being selected, it only works with a swipe-unlock).
  • None of the phone settings (or preferences) were restored.
  • The keyboard no longer has the top row of dedicated number keys.

I haven't been able to check battery drain yet but since I foresee another FDR in the near future I'm not going to worry about that for now.

Any ideas?

PS - I did a cache wipe after the reboot.

I haven't had the boot loop.
The first unlock after any restart on mine is always a swipe to unlock. After that the fingerprint works great.
I use My Backup Pro, paid version for settings. There is still some tweaking or verifying but I believe it does the majority. (Why can't Samsung backup as good as BlackBerry used to?)
Your original question mentioned Nova Launcher. I assume you found the backup for that. At least Nova has an excellent backup function!
Keyboard, do you use stock or something besides SwiftKey? I use SwiftKey and had no issues losing the setting to have numbers on top row.

After my factory reset I had to go back in and disable a bunch of the apps to help with battery drain.

Good luck!

dzstoys

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site
I did a fresh restore on my phone last night, Nova Prime made the job a lot less painful than it could have been.

I am back to seeing around 4% drain per hour under light use, which is much better than the 10% I was seeing before the restore with little to no use. My phone did reboot itself this morning while sitting on the charger for some reason, so I will have to keep an eye on that. I did install Good Lock after the restore, and it seems to be a little unpolished. The "remove all" button that is used to close open apps takes several presses to respond, and the interface seems a bit sluggish. I am not sure if this was the cause of the reboot, but it is the only thing I added that was not there before the fresh install. I also have not gone through and removed/disabled any of the bloat yet either.

I also lost the number line on top of the stock keyboard, but there is a switch to bring it back in the keyboard settings.

pappy35

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Nova's backup is awesome. I just e-mailed to myself, downloaded it after the wipe. done. I don't know about Crackberry's but that is the one thing I like about iPhones: reset, wait an hour, and it's like nothing ever happened. I got the phone the week it came out so I guess I just forgot that I was using Swiftkey and that the number row was an option. That's an easy fix.

So far, without disabling any of the stock apps, the battery life is looking more like normal so far...I'm gonna redo the FDR and see what happens.

pappy35

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Redoing the reset seems to have fixed it. It's doing fine now with an average of about 3% per hour (based on just a couple of hours of history of course).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol