Battery Issues With a Note Phone Once Again...

AlexMarie15

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
I wish I didn't love this series as much as I do, because I think it's time to part with it. The battery life is just unacceptable at this point and I'm turning to forums again to see what to do. I took it off the charger at 2:30 this morning with 100% and woke up around 6 to see it at 15%. I was asleep the entire time, but this is common from Note phones, in my experience. I don't want to have to switch to iPhones, but it's looking like even the most basic tasks, like holding a charge, is too hard for Androids.

Attachments

• 1467028608537.jpg
    1467028608537.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 79

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I wish I didn't love this series as much as I do, because I think it's time to part with it. The battery life is just unacceptable at this point and I'm turning to forums again to see what to do. I took it off the charger at 2:30 this morning with 100% and woke up around 6 to see it at 15%. I was asleep the entire time, but this is common from Note phones, in my experience. I don't want to have to switch to iPhones, but it's looking like even the most basic tasks, like holding a charge, is too hard for Androids.
Sorry you're having this problem. It's not inherent in Note 5s--most get great battery life, especially after the MM update. Your phone should have been in deep sleep almost the whole time overnight, but it obviously wasn't.

Maybe try a reboot, and if that doesn't work, a factory reset (though a reset can be a lot of work to restore everything afterward). Also, some possible tips here:
3 reasons Google Play Services might be draining your battery - TechRepublic .

jeremyds45

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site

First off, not true of most note phones... I've never had that happen to any of mine, had the 2, 3 and now 5. On mine after the Marshmallow Update, at times I can see close to 3 hours of on screen time at 50%, with overnight drainage of around 4%. It appears that something in the Android system on yours went haywire, and you need to find the setting / app that is causing this, Facebook being known to be a big battery hog, or perform a factory reset and cache wipe and be careful when you reinstall / setup everything.

AlexMarie15

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
First off, not true of most note phones... I've never had that happen to any of mine, had the 2, 3 and now 5. On mine after the Marshmallow Update, at times I can see close to 3 hours of on screen time at 50%, with overnight drainage of around 4%. It appears that something in the Android system on yours went haywire, and you need to find the setting / app that is causing this, Facebook being known to be a big battery hog, or perform a factory reset and cache wipe and be careful when you reinstall / setup everything.

I know it isn't true for most note phones, but all of my note phones have experienced this at some point. I'm sure there is something I'm doing that is making them act up, but I can never seem to pinpoint it. With that said, that's why I wonder if switching to an iPhone would be better for my current lifestyle of just needing a phone to perform basic tasks without the need to tweak and reset every so often. I get a little frustrated that the number one suggestion with android is to always factory reset which disrupts my life and though many argue that it isn't that big of a deal, it absolutely is for me. If I'm going to have to reset all of the time, I might as well just switch platforms.

With my frustration out of the way, lol, I will definitely try deleting Facebook for a week and seeing if that changes anything. I just think that losing that much battery in 3 hours of not touching it is ridiculous.

dakini03

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Another thing you could try short of a reset is put the phone in safe mode over night tonight and see if that does not drain the battery in the same way, in which case you'd know that an app or apps may be a problem. Also, check for sync errors which may be resulting in repeated attempts to sync.

AlexMarie15

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Another thing you could try short of a reset is put the phone in safe mode over night tonight and see if that does not drain the battery in the same way, in which case you'd know that an app or apps may be a problem. Also, check for sync errors which may be resulting in repeated attempts to sync.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll definitely try both.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Looks like Google Services is taking up the most battery. It happened to me last night again, and I think its related to Google Photos backup getting hung up or the process for that is not letting go of CPU, which in turn is causing the excessive battery drain. I let the phone drain down to zero % battery, and that seems to have cured it.

This is the 2nd time I've encountered this problem since getting the phone in late Oct, 2015. I cleared cache at around 7%, but that didn't help, so think its related to the Google Photos backup process as I had some pictures pending for backup when I got home (set to backup on WiFi only). Let it recharge overnight (as I always do), and so far off charger at 100%, I don't see any signs of excessive drain.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-note-5/674839-google-services-stay-awake-time.html

AlexMarie15

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Looks like Google Services is taking up the most battery. It happened to me last night again, and I think its related to Google Photos backup getting hung up or the process for that is not letting go of CPU, which in turn is causing the excessive battery drain. I let the phone drain down to zero % battery, and that seems to have cured it.

This is the 2nd time I've encountered this problem since getting the phone in late Oct, 2015. I cleared cache at around 7%, but that didn't help, so think its related to the Google Photos backup process as I had some pictures pending for backup when I got home (set to backup on WiFi only). Let it recharge overnight (as I always do), and so far off charger at 100%, I don't see any signs of excessive drain.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-note-5/674839-google-services-stay-awake-time.html

I was actually just thinking about turning google photos sync off until I absolutely need it. I did clear the cache and wiped the cache partition and disabled some things syncing that aren't dire, so hopefully this helps. And I should note that it draining overnight that significantly was the first time it's ever happened with this phone. I'm just going to continue to monitor it closely because if I can keep this phone for at least another year, I'd be happy.

AlexMarie15

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
I thought I'd update this for anyone who may be having battery issues. So it turns out the main culprit was cell signal, which I had a feeling was the root cause of my troubles. My job switched offices to a more T-Mobile friendly area, and since I've had full coverage all day, I'm currently sitting at 48% near the end of my work day using it the exact same way I used it at the old office. When I was at the old office, I would easily be at ~20%, so thank goodness for nicer offices with better cell reception! I can enjoy my phone properly again.

EDIT: I know it doesn't quite explain the weird battery dropping overnight anomaly, but that's been fine too. I have also streamed Spotify all day from my phone today, which I usually never do, so I am once again impressed with the battery life of the Note 5.

mlbyanks11

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Sorry you're having this problem. It's not inherent in Note 5s--most get great battery life, especially after the MM update. Your phone should have been in deep sleep almost the whole time overnight, but it obviously wasn't.

Maybe try a reboot, and if that doesn't work, a factory reset (though a reset can be a lot of work to restore everything afterward). Also, some possible tips here:
3 reasons Google Play Services might be draining your battery - TechRepublic .

I factory reset the device twice and its still not any good. Hard reset doesn't always work. Everyone suggests that but that sometimes doesn't solve the issue in the slightest.

Posted via the Android Central App

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilsgutkowski