08-07-2016 05:01 PM
54 123
tools
    I hope it comes to Canada soon...

Posted via the Android Central App
    07-22-2016 11:27 AM
    As reported in one of the other threads, Home Depot is one of those places that doesn't play nice with Samsung Pay. At most of the stores I frequent, chip readers have posed no problems. Make sure your phone is by the slide spot, not the chip slot.
    beh likes this.
    07-22-2016 03:37 PM
    I hope it comes to Canada soon...

I know this is going to hurt but it does work in Canada if you have a US bank that allows their cards to be used outside the US. I use Samsung Pay in BC with no issues.
    I really hope you guys get to use it soon. It is really fun to watch people's faces when it goes through right after they tell you phones don't work
    07-23-2016 07:01 PM
    The only problem I have is at stores that require the chip card to be inserted. When I try Pay it either say card read error or does nothing. Just tried it at a Home Depot this week and it would beep but not actually do anything. Anyone else having issues with chip cards and readers?
    Yes!!!! I always have that problem at kroger then I look stupid and the cashier is like we don't accept this. I'm like you would if my phone wojld work right.

07-26-2016 12:27 AM
    About 50/50 here. Not worth the trouble so far.
    07-26-2016 06:54 AM
    Yes!!!! I always have that problem at kroger then I look stupid and the cashier is like we don't accept this. I'm like you would if my phone wojld work right.

I use my Samsung Pay at Kroger's Fry's stores in Arizona all the time with no error, and they have chip-enabled readers. I hold my phone right next to the swipe slot.

Perhaps it's the way you're holding the phone, or where, or moving it?
    07-26-2016 09:26 AM
    I use my Samsung Pay at Kroger's Fry's stores in Arizona all the time with no error, and they have chip-enabled readers. I hold my phone right next to the swipe slot.

Perhaps it's the way you're holding the phone, or where, or moving it?
    Yeah possibly not sure I'll try it again at self check out

07-26-2016 10:11 PM
    I've also seen some wacky behavior if the terminal supports NFC. If I put the phone too close to both the NFC reader and the card swipe slot I've seen a message on the terminal that says "present only one card" or similar. I've seen it at multiple locations. I'm guessing it's because it tried to send the card data with both NFC and MST at the same time.

Just a guess. Otherwise in general it seems like NFC is faster overall. But both work great!

So how did you fix that problem?
    07-28-2016 11:26 AM
    So how did you fix that problem?
    Now that I've used Samsung Pay a lot I generally try to pay with NFC instead of MST if both are available. It seems to go through faster, albeit only slightly.

I solved the problem initially by moving the phone as close to the swipe slot as possible. Usually the NFC reader is on a bigger flat portion and the swipe is on the side. I would put the phone on the side so it's far enough away from the NFC reader.

The only time I still have the problem is when the card reader is very small and supports NFC. Then there isn't room to go just by the swipe area. It still works but sometimes you have to do it twice.

07-28-2016 05:33 PM
    Yesterday I was on the phone in the auto repair shop. I wanted to buy a coke from the vending machine but didn't have any cash. Fortunately the coke machine had a credit card swipe. I switched my call to my Bluetooth headphones, connected to the complimentary wifi, fired up Samsung pay, and bought a coke without interrupting my call. #livinginthefuture
    07-28-2016 05:42 PM
    I was so bummed. I wanted to have my new toy work. I tried 2 cards , American Express and Citibank debit MC. Samsung Pay attempted the transaction because i heard a Beep and the debit one asked for my pin, but it would not complete the transaction. Both are "Chip Cards". So is it possible that the chip on the cards are what's not allowing the Samsung Pay to complete my transactions? Locations i tried are: Walmart, Dollar tree, and AMC movie theater kiosk.
    07-31-2016 11:31 PM
    I was so bummed. I wanted to have my new toy work. I tried 2 cards , American Express and Citibank debit MC. Samsung Pay attempted the transaction because i heard a Beep and the debit one asked for my pin, but it would not complete the transaction. Both are "Chip Cards". So is it possible that the chip on the cards are what's not allowing the Samsung Pay to complete my transactions? Locations i tried are: Walmart, Dollar tree, and AMC movie theater kiosk.
    My chip card (Chase debit) works without any issue. Even in the case of a debit card, I'd always recommend trying to complete the transaction as a credit transaction when using Samsung Pay. Debit work's sometimes, but it can be finicky.
    07-31-2016 11:49 PM
    If you have a chip card make sure you have a signature for it in Samsung pay otherwise it will not work. There's a field below the card for you you sign it
    jean15paul likes this.
    08-01-2016 01:38 AM
    If you have a chip card make sure you have a signature for it in Samsung pay otherwise it will not work. There's a field below the card for you you sign it
    Signature on both cards in Samsung Pay. With the exception of the AMC kiosk, the other stores attempted the transactions before the cashier said they were declined. Question, am I to keep my finger on the scanner the entire time, or just long enough to unlock my card?
    08-01-2016 10:08 AM
    I'm in the minority. I don't use a fingerprint. I type in a pin. I'm not a fan of fingerprint scanners. And I don't like the legal precedent around fingerprint scanners, but that's another thread.
    08-01-2016 05:24 PM
    I have ran into an issue with it not working on some card readers.

08-01-2016 07:21 PM
    How does Samsung Pay handle credit cards and debit cards with the chip?
    08-02-2016 01:35 AM
    Reply from Samsung Pay .. "

We want to inform you that you can only make payment with Samsung Pay application using two modes which are MST (Magnetic secure transmission) or by NFC(Near Field Communication). Samsung Pay does not support EMV as it requires for the card to be in the card reader for making the transaction.

If you were successfully able to add the chipped card in Samsung Pay application then you can use the card normally using MST or NFC but not with any EMV card readers.

You can use the chipped card with both NFC and MST without any issues if the card was successfully able to register with Samsung Pay application.

Feel free to contact us back if you have any queries or issues with the Samsung pay app. We are happy to assist you".

So, I guess I'm unable to use SP at newer terminals that accept cards with the chip.
    08-02-2016 02:31 AM
    I don't interpret Samsung's reply as you do. My interpretation is that you can continue holding your phone over the swipe part of the credit card reader but there's no way to use it in the chip reader part as a card must be inserted.
    08-02-2016 04:46 AM
    Yeah. I use Samsung pay with my chip cards at a terminal with a chip reader all the time with no problem. Samsung is just saying that there's no way to actually use the chip reader. You have to either use MST over the swipe or use NFC. But it still works.
    08-02-2016 08:34 AM
    Do they work even if the reader requires you to insert the card? That is the issue I have experienced.
    08-02-2016 08:39 AM
    Do they work even if the reader requires you to insert the card? That is the issue I have experienced.
    In my experience, if I swipe the actual card, then the terminal recognizes it as a chip card and asks me to insert it. But if I use Samsung Pay, the terminal does not recognize it as a chip card and completes the transaction.
    08-02-2016 08:57 AM
    Hmm...interesting. Thanks!
    08-02-2016 09:00 AM
    Either I'm doing something wrong, or I'll have to try other stores. It's tad embarrassing when you're trying to use your phone to unsuccessfully pay and there's a lengthy line of folks giving me the stank eye. But, I'm determined to keep trying.
    08-02-2016 09:38 AM
    Yeah. I use Samsung pay with my chip cards at a terminal with a chip reader all the time with no problem. Samsung is just saying that there's no way to actually use the chip reader. You have to either use MST over the swipe or use NFC. But it still works.
    I really want this to work. This is what I do when using the card.. Swipe up to access my cards, press fingerprint until the scroll line comes up, move finger and place phone along side swipe area of card readers... Then once it asked for my pin and cash back, then I was told it declined. American express just did the "try again" icon before I was told it declined. Also I'm assuming I "do not"need NFC enabled?

PS... I have an Otter box defender case on my phone. Is that an issue with the MST?
    08-02-2016 09:50 AM
54 123