Samsung Pay

yarnsrj

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Reply from Samsung Pay .. "

We want to inform you that you can only make payment with Samsung Pay application using two modes which are MST (Magnetic secure transmission) or by NFC(Near Field Communication). Samsung Pay does not support EMV as it requires for the card to be in the card reader for making the transaction.

If you were successfully able to add the chipped card in Samsung Pay application then you can use the card normally using MST or NFC but not with any EMV card readers.

You can use the chipped card with both NFC and MST without any issues if the card was successfully able to register with Samsung Pay application.

Feel free to contact us back if you have any queries or issues with the Samsung pay app. We are happy to assist you".

So, I guess I'm unable to use SP at newer terminals that accept cards with the chip.

Uncle Eliot

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I don't interpret Samsung's reply as you do. My interpretation is that you can continue holding your phone over the swipe part of the credit card reader but there's no way to use it in the chip reader part as a card must be inserted.

Last edited:

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Yeah. I use Samsung pay with my chip cards at a terminal with a chip reader all the time with no problem. Samsung is just saying that there's no way to actually use the chip reader. You have to either use MST over the swipe or use NFC. But it still works.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Do they work even if the reader requires you to insert the card? That is the issue I have experienced.
In my experience, if I swipe the actual card, then the terminal recognizes it as a chip card and asks me to insert it. But if I use Samsung Pay, the terminal does not recognize it as a chip card and completes the transaction.

yarnsrj

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Either I'm doing something wrong, or I'll have to try other stores. It's tad embarrassing when you're trying to use your phone to unsuccessfully pay and there's a lengthy line of folks giving me the stank eye. But, I'm determined to keep trying.

yarnsrj

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Yeah. I use Samsung pay with my chip cards at a terminal with a chip reader all the time with no problem. Samsung is just saying that there's no way to actually use the chip reader. You have to either use MST over the swipe or use NFC. But it still works.
I really want this to work. This is what I do when using the card.. Swipe up to access my cards, press fingerprint until the scroll line comes up, move finger and place phone along side swipe area of card readers... Then once it asked for my pin and cash back, then I was told it declined. American express just did the "try again" icon before I was told it declined. Also I'm assuming I "do not"need NFC enabled?

PS... I have an Otter box defender case on my phone. Is that an issue with the MST?

Last edited:

ded1945

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
You do not have to turn NFC on, Samsung Pay takes care of that automatically.

I've found holding the phone parallel to the card swipe slot works the best for me.

I do all credit with no cash back so can't speak to the PIN question.

yarnsrj

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Success finally at BJs. Did as you all suggested and used "credit instead of debit" as pay option and put my phone at the lower end of the swipe strip. I'll attempt the other stores over the weekend.

yarnsrj

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Wal-Mart were I live is a no go. I've tried at 3 different Wal-Mart's in different counties in Maryland and they all decline. I wonder if they have Wal-Mart Pay blocking other mobile pay methods. My cards are fine because I called the banks to make sure all was well on my end.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma