Samsung Pay

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Anyone else using Samsung Pay? 2 days ago I changed over to Chase bank which supports android and have been having a blast using Samsung Pay. It works everywhere you can slide a card to pay no need to look for tap n pay- it works on any slide your card payment system old or new. The only place so far I couldn't use it at was the pump where you insert your card and pull it back out. The slide your card terminals work great. Loving it!

Posted via the Android Central App

vmmatty

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm a huge fan of Samsung Pay (and mobile payments in general). I also really like how Samsung added loyalty cards into Pay and let's it use the Mobeam technology to scan barcodes everywhere even on the old style scanners. That Mobeam technology never gets talked about when sites talk about Samsung phones but it's really handy to have. I never take out my wallet anymore!

con5150

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I too have my Chase card on Samsung Pay, have yet to use it .....anxiety???....going to use it Monday 😊

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm a huge fan of Samsung Pay (and mobile payments in general). I also really like how Samsung added loyalty cards into Pay and let's it use the Mobeam technology to scan barcodes everywhere even on the old style scanners. That Mobeam technology never gets talked about when sites talk about Samsung phones but it's really handy to have. I never take out my wallet anymore!

What's mobeam?

vmmatty

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Mobeam is something different from Samsung Pay. It's technology that lets Samsung phones display barcodes that are readable by old style laser scanners at places like grocery stores, gyms, etc. It doesn't have anything to do with MST.

Previously you needed to use an app called Beep'N'Go to activate the feature but it works with Samsung Pay now too. There's almost no videos or blog posts that cover the technology but it's great and very handy. I can scan my barcode at the gym when it doesn't work on either iPhones or other Android phones. It's great!

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I activated Samsung Pay a year ago when I got my phone, but I never used it. I just started using it this week because my actual card isn't swiping well (it swipes some places but not others). And yes, Samsung Pay is GREAT!

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Mobeam is something different from Samsung Pay. It's technology that lets Samsung phones display barcodes that are readable by old style laser scanners at places like grocery stores, gyms, etc. It doesn't have anything to do with MST.

Previously you needed to use an app called Beep'N'Go to activate the feature but it works with Samsung Pay now too. There's almost no videos or blog posts that cover the technology but it's great and very handy. I can scan my barcode at the gym when it doesn't work on either iPhones or other Android phones. It's great!

Mobeam uses the proximity sensor.

dougie1792

May 31, 2011
Visit site
Samsung pay is the best thing to use and it makes the cashiers go what is that lol

Posted via AT&T Galaxy S6 gold 64gb

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
I've been using it for a while now and like it a lot, especially the fact that it uses tokenisation instead of transmitting your card details during the purchase. Another nice feature is the merchant doesn't have your card details in their system meaning should they get hacked your card details are not on their files. This happened to me a few years ago with my debit card, luckily my bank caught it right away and refunded the charge, cancelled the card and issued me a new one. I had been using it with NFC turned off but a few weeks ago I went to Total Wine & More (large liquor store) and they had new card readers installed and MST only did not work, I had to turn on NFC in the phone settings to get it to work. Other than that, never had an issue.

vmmatty

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Samsung Pay automatically turns on NFC when you use your fingerprint to enable a payment. You can even see the icon in the top tray briefly if back out quickly.

I don't have NFC enabled and it still works. I try to use NFC instead of MST when the terminal supports it because it seems to be faster.

don Adams

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site
I'm about to open a chase account just because of Samsung pay. My bank has taken to long so I'm giving up on them

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Samsung Pay automatically turns on NFC when you use your fingerprint to enable a payment. You can even see the icon in the top tray briefly if back out quickly.

I don't have NFC enabled and it still works. I try to use NFC instead of MST when the terminal supports it because it seems to be faster.

Your right, I turned NFC off in settings, launched SamSung Pay and swiped down like I was going to go into settings and saw the NFC icon. When I closed SamSung Pay the NFC icon was gone; I wonder why it didn't work at the store then, it used to before they got the new machines... weird.

vmmatty

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I've also seen some wacky behavior if the terminal supports NFC. If I put the phone too close to both the NFC reader and the card swipe slot I've seen a message on the terminal that says "present only one card" or similar. I've seen it at multiple locations. I'm guessing it's because it tried to send the card data with both NFC and MST at the same time.

Just a guess. Otherwise in general it seems like NFC is faster overall. But both work great!

don Adams

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site
I'm about to open a chase account just because of Samsung pay. My bank has taken to long so I'm giving up on them

Man I FINALLY went to Chase Bank, used Samsung Pay and MAN I understand the hype finally. Happy to FINALLY be part of the club

5thelement

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Went into Target today, took my phone out and put it next to the terminal and the cashier says "sorry, we don't take Apple Pay", and I replied, I know, "beep", I have Samsung Pay; grab receipt and walked. That's power.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I Got a notification today. there's an offer if you use Samsung pay three times before August 1st then you get a $10 Amazon gift card. I don't know if this offer applies to everyone, but you might want to check the messages within the app

don Adams

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site
I didn't realize there were so many offers. So far from using my card for less than a week I go:

$10 Amazon gift card
$20 Nike gift card (could have chose between five things but chose this one)
$30 Nike gift card (same thing as above)
And in two more purchases I will be able to get a $50 gift card (probably to Nike)

And on top of all that, I look like a boss when people say, "oh we don't take that.............beep. I know you do cause it's Samsung pay not that Apple crap."

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I got a $50 Sprint credit last year. And my wife got a $50 Best Buy gift card last year. Samsung is definitely willing to spend some serious cash to get people to use Samsung Pay.