07-16-2016 09:59 AM
32 12
tools
    Last January, I was having so much trouble with my T-Mobile Note 5. On a fresh OS install, it would last 8 hrs with NO apps installed and ZERO usage. All I did was take it to work to see how bad it would do that day on a fresh install, again with NO apps installed.

I solved that problem by running a custom ROM but in all these months, it was stuck on a security update from November or December. I got tired of that and figured after all these months it would be safe to finally upgrade to MM.

Well, the battery problem is once again back. Three hrs of standby, the battery is at 78%. It has three minutes of screen time with Android OS up to 44%.

I"m taking my sim out of this worthless phone and putting it into my old reliable Note Edge running MM that can last days on one charge with 4-5 hrs screen time.

I hate running custom ROMs because all of them have some bugs in them and stupid mods that you just can't get rid of. The only perfect rooted phone that I have is my Note 4 and that is because all I had to do to root it was load a modified kernel onto it. It's still on Lollipop today and like my Note Edge, can go for days on one charge.

My Note 5 has been trouble from day one. It's going in a drawer.
    07-14-2016 01:16 PM
    Almost bought a Note 5, now I'm glad I didn't! Loved the Note 4 I had back in the day though! And loving my OP3!
    07-14-2016 01:22 PM
    It's not the phone. It's an app or a software issue.

Posted via the Android Central App
    jimd1050 and debdroid1a like this.
    07-14-2016 02:19 PM
    It's not the phone. It's an app or a software issue.

With no apps even installed? The phone should not lose 30% on a fresh install with nothing even installed and NO usage at all on it.
    07-14-2016 02:22 PM
    Something is wrong with the phone, maybe the battery itself. I'm on my T-Mobile Note 5 quite a bit each day with text messages, emails, facebook app, twitter app, a video here and there and a few other apps; I will take my phone off the charger around 6:40 am and at 9 pm I'll still have around 35% of battery left. Sorry your having issues with your device but for me this is one of the best phones I've had.
    jimd1050 likes this.
    07-14-2016 03:25 PM
    Something is wrong with the phone, maybe the battery itself. I'm on my T-Mobile Note 5 quite a bit each day with text messages, emails, facebook app, twitter app, a video here and there and a few other apps; I will take my phone off the charger around 6:40 am and at 9 pm I'll still have around 35% of battery left. Sorry your having issues with your device but for me this is one of the best phones I've had.
    It's not the battery because the problem goes away with a custom ROM. This only happens with the stock OS.
    07-14-2016 03:27 PM
    Will your experience is still different than most. I would take it in.
    07-14-2016 03:46 PM
    Sounds for sure like you got a lemon! Hope you can get it replaced!
    07-14-2016 04:08 PM
    Really? .. Just take it in and get it replaced. Or... You can try to justify buying something new because of your defective phone. That choice is yours to make.

jimd1050 likes this.
    07-14-2016 11:52 PM
    The warranty was voided a week after I bought it because I rooted it which solved the battery problem.

Anyways, I have so many phones now that this is no big deal. I have two S7 Edge phones, Note 4, Note Edge, several iPhones and five of these phones are currently activated on T-Mobile.
    07-15-2016 01:07 AM
    I've gotten almost 72 hours out of my Note 5, better than I ever did the Note 4.

Sounds like a Google sync issue when android OS is eating away the battery.

jimd1050 and Trees like this.
    07-15-2016 03:38 AM
    The warranty was voided a week after I bought it because I rooted it which solved the battery problem.

Anyways, I have so many phones now that this is no big deal. I have two S7 Edge phones, Note 4, Note Edge, several iPhones and five of these phones are currently activated on T-Mobile.
    And so modest.
    mojook and msndrstood like this.
    07-15-2016 06:34 AM
    Sounds like a PICNIC
    07-15-2016 08:20 AM
    Couldn't it be unrooted, flashed to stock and THEN warrantied? Since you don't seem to like and/or trust the Note 5 you could sell it get 300-400 hundred and then be ready to pick up your next toy! lol Dare I say the new Nexus that's coming?
    07-15-2016 09:55 AM
    Couldn't it be unrooted, flashed to stock and THEN warrantied? Since you don't seem to like and/or trust the Note 5 you could sell it get 300-400 hundred and then be ready to pick up your next toy! lol Dare I say the new Nexus that's coming?
    No because knox is permanantly set at 01. I might try and root it once again but this time on MM since rooting always solved the battery problem. I just don't want to spend hours on it anymore since I have other problem free phones here.

Once the phone was rooted the first time, that tripped knox which voids the warranty.
    07-15-2016 10:23 AM
    No because knox is permanantly set at 01. I might try and root it once again but this time on MM since rooting always solved the battery problem. I just don't want to spend hours on it anymore since I have other problem free phones here.

Once the phone was rooted the first time, that tripped knox which voids the warranty.
    Well that <expletive deleted>! Root it, put on a good Rom and sell it on Swappa? You know you want a new toy!
    libra89 likes this.
    07-15-2016 11:43 AM
    Ditto - and I take mine off the charger at 11:00 PM and at 9:00 AM it still has 95% left from the overnight standby with MM so that improved too... Love this phone and also sorry you're having trouble!
    07-15-2016 01:17 PM
    I've gotten almost 72 hours out of my Note 5, better than I ever did the Note 4.

Sounds like a Google sync issue when android OS is eating away the battery.

How did you accomplish this?
    07-15-2016 01:23 PM
    That's why I switched from the Note 5 to the S7. Loving it!
    07-15-2016 03:50 PM
    I also have great battery life with my Note 5. I take it off the charger at 6am and when I put it back on the charger around 10pm I still have around 35% left. I know a lot of other people who also own the Note 5 on various carriers and they all have great battery life.

I'm sorry to hear that your having so much trouble with the battery life on your Note 5. Since you own other great devices maybe it's best to just to use one of those.

Posted via the AT&T Note 5
    TJA3500 likes this.
    07-15-2016 06:07 PM
    I hate running custom ROMs because all of them have some bugs in them
    Not quite true. Yeah most of them do, but I've been running the Pure Nexus rom for about a year now and not 1 bug or glitch. It's been such a great experience that I'll never go back to stock. Btw, the rom is available for the Nexus 4, 5, 5x, 6, and 6p. Great screen name btw, maybe you should go Nexus?
    07-15-2016 09:34 PM
    If you want to donate the phone to me.. I'll pay you by giving you a free link to the YouTube video of me punching it with brass knuckles. It won't solve the problem, but it'll bring joy to the masses.
    pkcable likes this.
    07-15-2016 10:17 PM
    Have you thought of selling it cheap. Maybe someone else can get use out of it., Just a thought
    07-15-2016 10:25 PM
    Not quite true. Yeah most of them do, but I've been running the Pure Nexus rom for about a year now and not 1 bug or glitch. It's been such a great experience that I'll never go back to stock. Btw, the rom is available for the Nexus 4, 5, 5x, 6, and 6p. Great screen name btw, maybe you should go Nexus?
    I haven't had a Nexus besides the 4. I came close to buying the 6P but decided not to because I had already bought 5 phones including the Note 5 since December. I wanted to cut back
    If you want to donate the phone to me.. I'll pay you by giving you a free link to the YouTube video of me punching it with brass knuckles. It won't solve the problem, but it'll bring joy to the masses.
    Thanks but no thanks. I'll mess with it a bit over the weekend to see if I can "fix" the battery drain.

Have you thought of selling it cheap. Maybe someone else can get use out of it., Just a thought
    I don't sell my old phones. I like using them for several years.
    07-16-2016 03:13 AM
    It's not the battery because the problem goes away with a custom ROM. This only happens with the stock OS.
    It's nonetheless pathological and unusual, and likely due to some hardware problem even if it only manifests with some software versions. I would have exchanged the phone under warranty as soon as a factory reset failed to solve the problem.
    newswatcher likes this.
    07-16-2016 06:50 AM
32 12