questions about installing monthly security updates

anon(9638631)

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
I'm at a loss with this one.

I am not updating my device to 6.x.x anytime soon, if at all however, I do want to stay current with the monthly security updates for obvious reasons.
Please don't fill the thread with questions why I'm not upgrading the OS, that's not what this thread is about.

Anyway, if I re-enable AT&T software updates in Package Disabler Pro to check for current security updates, it will try to download and install 6.0. It gives no user options if multiple updates are simultaneously available. Is there a way to have the system check for security updates first before it checks for an OS update and give the user an option of downloading and installing that security update without having to update the OS first? You would think so right? Not everyone wants to upgrade their OS. All I can think is to 1) call AT&T tech support, but we all know they are mostly completely useless or 2) see if the Samsung people at Best Buy can do anything about it (however, they are Samsung, not AT&T specific).

Anyone with any input would be appreciated.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm not entirely sure this would be possible. Samsung isn't well known for releasing OS files in the past. If you needed a stock ROM, you have to find 3rd party sites that host them. I don't think security updates will be much different.

If they did, you could in theory download it and flash it through Odin.

The whole security update process is still kind of new. Nexus devices are still getting them and OS updates at the same time. The only one right now that is kind of in question is the Nex5 from 2013.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
There is no way to prioritize OS updates and the security updates are firmware updates. There's no such thing as installing only the security update without the accompanying firmware changes as implemented by the OEM and/or carrier. Unless Samsung releases a Lollipop 5.0.1 or whatever with July Security patch for the Note 5, you'd have to manually strip and port a version they created for a different device which would likely break stuff.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
To further explain, say there are 5 updates available - 6.0 with Month A, 6.01 with Month B, 6.01 with Month C, 6.01 with Month D and 6.01 with Month E; it's going to install A then B then C then D then E, etc. There's no such update to get Month E without first getting the 6.01 with Month A and 6.01 with Month B, etc. in this example. Unless Samsung makes a new update for 5.x.x with E, etc.