So, the charging port on my Note 5 went out. Samsung was nice enough to let me send it in on the 16th (via 2nd day air) to have them assess the problem and fix it. The phone arrived on the 19th as scheduled, but there were no updates on it until the 21st... Then it all starts to look like it's going down hill...

7/21/16 - The unit has been received. Pack Condition: Fair Packaging
    7/22/16 - SCRATHES ON HOME KEY
    7/25/16 - The unit has left the technician. SOLUTION: Replaced Component - Replaced LCD

Now, I'm a bit nervous here... I've never seen where replacing the LCD on this thing could fix the charging port - unless they have that as a solid, one part drop in piece. The other part that really scares me is that the home key was not scratched, it was cracked, which I reported to them back in February/March when it happened. My question is this, has anyone had Sammy replace their charging port before and if so, was it the LCD that was replaced or just the port? I have a bad feeling I'm going to get my phone back and they won't have fixed the actual problem.
    07-25-2016 11:22 AM
    You might want to call... If you sent it back for a repair to the charging port and see no mention of the work in the work logs, I would be a little suspicious as well. I wouldn't worry about the wording of scratch vs. cracked... and they replaced the panel as part of the home button fix. It has nothing to do with the port.
    07-25-2016 11:28 AM
    What irks me is that they said LCD not AMOLED. And if they have to replace something that major they should have at least emailed you too let you know.. Kinda shady.

Posted via the Android Central App
    waazzupppp likes this.
    07-25-2016 11:29 AM
    Yeah... the LCD/AMOLED thing... but this is most likely just a system that just prompts the tech with a list of dispositions and they have it as LCD. That's probably not a big deal.
    07-25-2016 12:01 PM
    I recently had a problem with my charging port and all they did was replace the port that was the only thing I saw on the repair order. I would give them a call in my opinion
    07-25-2016 12:49 PM
    Just sent the wife's phone in for charging port replacement a couple of months back. Screen also got replaced. I wonder when they have to tear them apart if it messes up the screen possibly? No biggie, no charge to us and phone works as it should once again.
    07-25-2016 02:22 PM
    Just sent the wife's phone in for charging port replacement a couple of months back. Screen also got replaced. I wonder when they have to tear them apart if it messes up the screen possibly? No biggie, no charge to us and phone works as it should once again.
    Oh, I'm sure that some eggs get broken during the process... That phone isn't all that easy to open up, and I am sure that there are quite a few glass panels and backs that get damaged in the process. Though, they have the kit to replace JUST the glass on the display rather than the whole sub assembly. The glass itself is peanuts.... the entire display is big bucks.
    07-25-2016 03:32 PM
    Well, I guess I will know soon enough. The device just passed QC and the repair is complete. I called for them to check the work, but they only had the same ticket information that is listed online. They said it should be back to me very soon though. We shall see if it comes back ok or not.
    07-25-2016 03:53 PM
    just a question, if you send the device for repair, do you get a substitute phone?

Posted via the Android Central App
    07-27-2016 12:39 AM
    No you don't
    07-27-2016 02:25 AM
    Ok, so here it is, back from the dead... literally... and my experience with Samsung support as compared to my long time brand HTC's...

First, a look at my average experience with HTC. I dropped my HTC One Max and broke the screen, which was totally my fault and totally my issue, but they offered that great "advantage" package and I emailed them on it. Within 20 minutes, I had a reply back with a ticket number and a phone number to call to setup either an advanced exchange or I could send the device to them and have it back in about a week. Either way, they paid the shipping and would get it through the system as quickly as possible. The "advanced exchange" option required a $300 deposit to a credit card (which would be released when the old device arrived) and $25 if I wanted the new device sent overnight to me. Other than that, no charges were mentioned, nor ever charged to me. When we finished the advanced ticket, the rep informed me that they were out of the Max's for my carrier, but they would send me a substitute phone while mine was being repaired. WOW! So, my new device showed up the next day (a lovely M8 by the way) and they sent an overnight return label for my Max to be returned to them for service. It arrived the next day and was repaired in just two short days. My Max was back the following day with a label in the box to return the M8... It was about as perfect as possible...

Now, on to Samsung... Given, this device decided to kick the bucket while I was on vacation, it is a bit more dramatic. I didn't have a carrier store to go visit (at least not without some serious questioning) and I was relegated to crappy hotel WiFi to get this done, but here we go. The USB port went in the device so it wouldn't charge. I began by logging on to the Samsung site to find support options, but it didn't let me file a ticket from the "my devices" screen. I had to chat with someone to get the ticket started for some reason. Chat was closed at that time, so they gave me the option to call, which put me on hold as I watched the last of my battery go away. I was back on the chat lines a bit later and had a tech offer to send me a label which I could drop off at any UPS location for... shoot, he just went away... The next guy was equally helpful, but could find no ticket under any of my information so he asked all the same questions over again and filed a ticket very quickly. I told him that I was cut off the last time and to just finish it and email it to me if that happened again. I was cut off and he did finish it. I was able to get the phone off to them two days later when I returned from vacation. The phone arrived on Tuesday (no charge 2nd day air) and was repaired in just 48 hours. It was back to me on Thursday (or 5 days after I sent it)...

So, as AWESOME as HTC was, I can't say a bad thing about Samsung's service. They took care of the issue and got my phone back to me as quickly as possible. I would rate the communication with HTC better than Samsung, but once the claim was filed, both companies took excellent care of me and returned my device in good working order.
    Trees and LeoRex like this.
    07-27-2016 04:23 PM