"No Recently Used Apps"

bhameyedoc

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
Lately, when I press the recent apps button on my Note 5, I get the message "No Recently Used Apps," even though I have recently used several apps. Restarting the phone sometimes fixes it, but sometimes not. I am running 6.0.1 on Verizon.

Any ideas?

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Have you checked if the problem persists after booting into safe mode? There are some weird bugs mainly affecting Samsung devices recently and most of them seem related to conflicts with third party apps.

Lesly Jean-Paul

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
As a temporary fix, updating the voice settings by disabling the "say ok google" functionality has worked.

Samsung Community forum has a discussion on this. ("No recently used app glitch")

Seems the issue is with "ok google" functionality.

According to a poster on Samsung (I am paraphrasing), which makes logical sense. The ok google mic stays open and opens apps and performs other tasks and in that some how after using the ok google functionality the phone no longer recognizes that the apps that were opened prior to using ok google, are still opened.

My question is does Google or Android fix this?
Seems like although it's caused by ok google functionality and thus a Google problem it is the device recent app key that is not responding correctly or with the correct status displayed, regarding the recently used apps.

I cannot find a Google forum with this issue being discussed.
The Samsung forum seemed, rightfully so, to totally absolve themselves of any responsibility to fix it.

I enjoy the ok google functionality and my Android based Samsung Galaxy s6 was shipped with that functionality included.

Does anyone know who will fix this? And how we draw their attention to it?

Nitro211K

Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
Re: "No Recently Used Apps"

For me the fix was removing the July 18 update of the Google app. You do this by disabling the app, then you re-enable it but don't apply the latest update. And for good measure performed a cache wipe thru the boot screen of the phone. Then I retrained the ok google voice, and no problems since. Good luck.... Btw the Google now on Tap still works.

TL Shade

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
This seemed to work for me. I rebooted then instead of using OK Google I manually did a search using the Google tool bar. After that I could use OK Google and my recently used apps are still there.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
This seemed to work for me. I rebooted then instead of using OK Google I manually did a search using the Google tool bar. After that I could use OK Google and my recently used apps are still there.
Welcome to the forums! Nice trick, thanks for sharing!

Stu40

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the google app, and turning off Hey Google - no success. The below fixed the issue for me.

Go to the phone application manager, and select the Google App.
Click on Storage,
Click Clear Cache.
Then click on Manage Storage and then
Click Clear Search Data and then
Clear All Data.