Guys all of the sudden a few days ago Google Play Services began seriously draining my battery. It's second to the Screen followed by Android OS. I've tried restarting a few times and it's not helping. This periodically happens and it'll last a week or two and then seems to resolve itself.

Has anyone experienced this? Do you have a fix for it? A work around? Something? It's really annoying when you don't use your phone and it goes from 40% to 5% critical in the matter of a couple hours because of play services.

I put the phone back on the charger earlier, ran it up to 38% and now 40 minutes later, having made one 7 minute call it's at 14%...
    acles003 likes this.
    08-17-2016 07:43 PM
    I have noticed this as well. I have tried everything (clearing cache of Google play services, force closing it, uninstalling updates, and clearing the whole device cache in recovery mode) except a factory reset at this point. No solutions so far.

-Shawn
    Noting the world one S-Pen at a time
    08-17-2016 08:38 PM
    I have noticed this as well. I have tried everything (clearing cache of Google play services, force closing it, uninstalling updates, and clearing the whole device cache in recovery mode) except a factory reset at this point. No solutions so far.

-Shawn
    Does Play Services drain your battery almost as much as your screen does?

The same thing kept happening to me as well and after having spent ages scouring the internet for a solution, a work around or just about anything that would enable me to use for my phone for a normal amount of time, the only solution that seemed to work - temporarily, was to uninstall Google Play Services altogether! As did Shawn whom I quoted I tried everything short of a factory reset! However doing this caused other apps that relied on Google Play Services (GPS) to malfunction and almost every time that I connected to a WiFi network it auto updated itself and the battery drain recommenced.

Well eventually I did come across a solution that has so far worked pretty well for me:
    • Go to Settings on your Android Device
    • Open up Applications, swipe over to All Applications
    • Head down to Google Play Services and open it.There mentioned right under GPS, note the 3-digit number sequence in the parentheses. Ex: Version 9.4.52 (238-xxxxxxxxx)
    • Now head over to Google Play services APKs - APKMirror
    • Scroll down the page and refer to the all versions list.
    • Now it is important that you pick an update released before the start of your battery drain issue or else you might have to repeat this process
    • Now check if they have a variant suitable to your device by matching the 3-digit number sequence to the variants list.
    • Download the variant onto your device, note that you will have to uninstall your current version of GPS before installing this.
    • Install the older version of GPS onto your device and voila! you battery drain issue should hopefully stop now.

Well I hope this fix helps you as it did me!
    Brenopin likes this.
    08-18-2016 06:11 AM
    Does Play Services drain your battery almost as much as your screen does?

The same thing kept happening to me as well and after having spent ages scouring the internet for a solution, a work around or just about anything that would enable me to use for my phone for a normal amount of time, the only solution that seemed to work - temporarily, was to uninstall Google Play Services altogether! As did Shawn whom I quoted I tried everything short of a factory reset! However doing this caused other apps that relied on Google Play Services (GPS) to malfunction and almost every time that I connected to a WiFi network it auto updated itself and the battery drain recommenced.

Well eventually I did come across a solution that has so far worked pretty well for me:
    • Go to Settings on your Android Device
    • Open up Applications, swipe over to All Applications
    • Head down to Google Play Services and open it.There mentioned right under GPS, note the 3-digit number sequence in the parentheses. Ex: Version 9.4.52 (238-xxxxxxxxx)
    • Now head over to Google Play services APKs - APKMirror
    • Scroll down the page and refer to the all versions list.
    • Now it is important that you pick an update released before the start of your battery drain issue or else you might have to repeat this process
    • Now check if they have a variant suitable to your device by matching the 3-digit number sequence to the variants list.
    • Download the variant onto your device, note that you will have to uninstall your current version of GPS before installing this.
    • Install the older version of GPS onto your device and voila! you battery drain issue should hopefully stop now.

Well I hope this fix helps you as it did me!
    Yes it takes up almost as much as my screen and if I'm at home it will sometimes be double what "screen" is. It's also MUCH worse on wifi as you mentioned above!
    I will try this! Hopefully google will eventually just fix their crap, this is pretty annoying.
    08-18-2016 01:22 PM
    Oddly, last night, I had zero issues with my phone or battery. I didn't change anything. Right now it's been off the charger for 4 hours, has had a small amount of use and sits at 86% which is good ,it's what I'd expect. This battery issue is so weird and haphazard.
    08-19-2016 10:20 AM
    This may be the same problem. I've attributed it to Google Photos backup process getting hung up and thus consuming excessive CPU cycles, which in turn rapidly drains battery.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...wake-time.html

This discussion may also have some helpful information.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...erheating.html
    08-20-2016 08:20 AM
    Mine was a little high today for some reason, a quick shutdown and cache partition wipe fixed it for me.
    08-22-2016 07:10 PM
    Are you using Verizon? If yes, I think I have a fix.
    10-06-2016 09:16 PM
    Are you using Verizon? If yes, I think I have a fix.
    I am on Verizon. Would love a solution.
    10-06-2016 10:21 PM
    I am on T-Mobile and started having this problem sometimes in the last week or two. I don't have Google Photos installed on my phone so it can't be related to that.
    10-13-2016 04:53 AM