Severe Battery Drain 6.0.1

guacapoli

Dec 9, 2015
Visit site
I actually got my Samsung Note 5 swapped out via warranty because I thought my battery was shot....well my new device has the same problem. I have to constantly charge my phone throughout the day. I can barely get 2 hours of usage with just general email and texting.

I've never had this problem until the update. I just ran the GSAM Battery Monitor and it shows:

Android System 13%
Kernel 5.9%
and everything else is below 2.

And my Screen is at 37% (I keep brightness below 50)
Phone is at 24%

Any ideas or anyone else with same problems??

pduffer

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
If you are just doing general email and texting, why is your phone at 24%? I think that is where you need to look.

GRIMWALD

Jul 22, 2016
Visit site
Unless you use the service, in settings for Google turn off "Nearby".
Also depending on where you are located, if you don't have good consistent signal, your phone will continually search for a better signal.
Turn of data and see if you battery drain lessens.

GRIM

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I actually got my Samsung Note 5 swapped out via warranty because I thought my battery was shot....well my new device has the same problem. I have to constantly charge my phone throughout the day. I can barely get 2 hours of usage with just general email and texting.

I've never had this problem until the update. I just ran the GSAM Battery Monitor and it shows:

Android System 13%
Kernel 5.9%
and everything else is below 2.

And my Screen is at 37% (I keep brightness below 50)
Phone is at 24%

Any ideas or anyone else with same problems??

I have the same problem, Android System is always at the top of my App list on GSam, tried everything including a full factory reset and only installed a few absolute necessary apps. Can't figure out why Android System is killing my battery, but I see no apps using any suspicious amount of battery, it's definitely Android System.

Mike_Luchia

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
Mine is screen that is killing my battery. Losing 5% in about 5 min with screen on at about 30% brightness. I'm going to try re-calibrating my battery on my next days off.

guacapoli

Dec 9, 2015
Visit site
Mine is screen that is killing my battery. Losing 5% in about 5 min with screen on at about 30% brightness. I'm going to try re-calibrating my battery on my next days off.

I got a brand new Note 5. It's got to be the software 6.0.1

Is it possible (easy) to revert back to software?

BuckyBadg

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
I got a brand new Note 5. It's got to be the software 6.0.1

Is it possible (easy) to revert back to software?

I definitely have a shorter battery life with Marshmallow compared to Kitkat. I don't think you can revert back on software unless you root the phone which compromises your warranty.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I had this same problem with mine but under Lollipop. Rooting the phone and installing a custom ROM fixed the problem for me. I have since installed a custom ROM on 6.0.1. I haven't tried stock 6.0.1 so I have no idea if my phone would have the same problem on it. I'm not interested in finding out either.

Also, once you upgrade to 6.0.1, there is no going back to Lollipop.

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I'm on my third Note 5, the first being defective from the factory and the second having less than stellar or even optimum battery life. The third and current one, is running great with the same Marshmallow OS and same apps... getting close to 6 hours SOT.

I'm absolutely convinced there's either a quality control problem at Samsung, or a battery manufacturing problem at their subsidiary... similar to what we're seeing with Note 7, not fire wise, but battery quality.

To see THREE DIFFERING results from three of the same phones, with no variability in apps or WiFi, or LTE... is not only illuminating, but quite startling.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I have been using my note 7, cane back to my note 5 to wait for my replacement. Seen there was an software update on the note 5 and did it last night. This morning I woke up to a battery charged to 84% after being on my wireless charger all night. I use the phone as my alarm clock so the time is always displayed while on the charger, and up to this update have always had fully charged battery in they morning. And now that the phone is off the charger that charge is dropping like a rock. Nothing on the phone has changed except for the update, now it can't keep up charging at night.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I've had similar problem happen three times the past few weeks. Some process or app gets hung up, wont let go of CPU, phone gets warm, and then battery plummets. Cache wipe seems to help sometimes, while other times I just let the battery drain to zero when even a reboot wont stop the plummet.

Marginal cell signal at my workplace contributes to the battery loss during the day, but that is unavoidable until Verizon adds more towers in that local area.

dllrogers55

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Any of you with terrible drain using Chrome as your browser? There are a number of threads including the Galaxy S phone that point to Chrome and Media Server. This was my problem with Media Server at the top of the battery usage list. Deleted Chrome and all is well. Waiting for the fix before reinstalling.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I am using Chrome, but don't have a way to distinguish Media Server usage by app. Since I use the Samsung Music app to play music, Media Server is also triggered by that.

catberryday

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
I have a Note 4 that just updated to 6.01 on ATT. I am having the same issue so I think it is Marshmallow. Media is at 22% usage. I just popped a new battery in and I went from 100% to 91% in 18 min.
Also my sister's Note 4 was ruined by the marshmallow update. It never made it through the update. It fried her phone and SD card.

I am going to try to replace my SD card with a new one and see if it helps.

guacapoli

Dec 9, 2015
Visit site
After a few weeks with my replacement device my Note 5 battery life is still terrible. I lose 20-30% overnight. WTF can I do to help this?

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
After a few weeks with my replacement device my Note 5 battery life is still terrible. I lose 20-30% overnight. WTF can I do to help this?

Root the phone. That was the only thing that gave me normal battery life. There are 99% stock ROMs out there that are simply rooted. That is what I am running on mine and that was all my phone needed.

guacapoli

Dec 9, 2015
Visit site
I've always jailbroken devices so I'm comfortable to root it but I don't actually know how. How high are the chances of bricking the phone? I'm not looking to run a ton of diff things I just want my battery life to be normal.

I've never rooted a phone before, just a little hesitant.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I've always jailbroken devices so I'm comfortable to root it but I don't actually know how. How high are the chances of bricking the phone? I'm not looking to run a ton of diff things I just want my battery life to be normal.

I've never rooted a phone before, just a little hesitant.

It was as simple as downloading Odin and a custom recovery. Copy the custom ROM onto the phones storage. Boot into recovery and install the custom ROM. It's pretty much that easy. Google as an example XDA Note 5 T-Mobile and it will take you to the section for your phone. My phone is T-Mobile so the bootloader was unlocked. Not sure about AT&T and Verizon or Sprint models.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Puiman