Would you get a note 5 today?

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Groupon currently has refurbished note 5 on fake for $399 but it says GSM... Does that mean it will not work on my Verizon 4Glte provider?

I've had luck with refurbished electronics and I'm tired of waiting on my Verizon n5 that i ordered...

Can someone look at the Groupon site and tell me if it will work fort me on Verizon? Thank you sooooo much guys!

Samsung Galaxy Note 5 Smartphone; GSM Unlocked (Refurbished)

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...msung-galaxy-note-5-smartphone&token=vGRvLLrE

Jeeeez what s ridiculously long link! Haha

I can tell you without looking it will Not work. Verizon is not GSM. Sorry

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I have no idea, and I am going nuts trying to figure this out!!

Precis: I have a perfectly fine Note II but I bought a Note 5

Let me explain

Because of my amazing cell phone plan, I have to buy my devices outright (no-term). I'm not being sarcastic when I say amazing, even other carrier representatives flip when they hear my plan.

Back in January 2013 I bought myself a Note II. Because of having to pay retail, I bought a Rogers locked device, which came out less than the retail price. I would never buy a cell phone from there now, now that the IMEI blacklist has launched here in Canada.

The no-term price for the Note II was 729.99 (at the time of launch) - I got it at 700
The no-term price for the Note 3 was 799.99 (at the time of launch)
The no-term price for the Note 4 was 749.99 (at launch I believe), but when it was removed from the Rogers website the price had risen to 799.99
The 32 GB Note 5 price at launch was 859.99. A few months later 64 GB variant was released at 899.99. Right now on the Samsung Canada's website you can get the 32 GB Note 5 for 750.00 (not every carrier launched the 64 GB version).
The Note 7 launch price was 1049.99, and you can assume that the price would go up to 1099.99 at some point.

I was going to get the Note 7 when it went back up for sale on Samsung Canada's website because of a trade in promotion, but of course that never happened.

When the Note 7 was discontinued, I debated whether or not I should get a Note 5. Before the discontinuation of the Note 7 I was looking for the Note 4 as it was only removed from the Rogers website in spring. I called a few stores, and no luck, in fact a sales person at the first place I called joked about the Note 5's he had left. One week later, the Note 7 was discontinued. On the 20th I decided to jump, and after calling a few stores I found a 64 GB titanium silver one. The store that had the sales person joke about the number of Note 5's he had in stock, when I asked the salesperson you could hear his co-worker cuss about the number people a day that are calling looking for a Note 5.

My Note II is working perfectly fine. If it ain't broke don't fix it. I baby my phones and protect them as well as I can. But given that the hardware prices are only increasing, there is no way in holy heck would I be able to afford an outright purchase of a new device.

But why am I drawn to the Note series you ask? Back in 2003 I started my smartphone collection. Long story short my progression is as follows: Nokia 3600 - RIM Blackberry 7280 - PalmOne Treo 600 - RIM Blackberry 7100r - PalmOne Treo 650 - i-Mate K-Jam (returned it though) - Qtek S200 - Sony Ericsson X1i - Sony Ericsoon X1a - HTC HD2 (T9193) - Note II - ...

Both PalmOne devices, the i-Mate, Qtek, and both Sony Ericisson's were touch screen. RESISTIVE touch screen devices, so a stylus was necessary. I mean you could use the devices, especially the Treos, without the stylus but the other devices were Windows Mobile, so not all that touch friendly. The HTC HD2 on the other hand was Windows Mobile's one and only device that had a capacitive touch screen (to rival the now popular iPhone). Not having a stylus, and not being able to jot down notes here and there on the fly was annoying and a real PIA. Enter the Note series and the rest is history.

So now I have a titanium silver Note 5, in one of my clothes drawers, still in the plastic, never turned on, and never plugged in. Loving the fact that it is powered by an Exynos processor, but hating it because it is now made out of glass and not plastic or aluminum.

I have until November 4th to make up my mind else I will not be able to take it back.

I need a drink...make it a triple....

PS lol: The build date of my Note II was 13-DEC-2012, and was activated at the end of January 2013. This Note 5 was built back in April 2016. Is that okay? (In terms of shelf life and degradation; I was trying to find out when Samsung finally halted production of it, but no luck)

Activate the N5. You will be happy you did its an awesome device.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I have been lectured on here several times that I cannot sufficiently appreciate the innate superiority of the Note 7 over the 5. That's fine.

I do envy the waterproofing of the Note 7.

My Note 5 doesn't lag, the S pen and associated software works flawlessly and I thoroughly enjoy the way the profile of the phone fits in my hand.

I'm apparently a fool for not seeing the wisdom of ditching the N5 and spending +$800 to purchase a non Samsung phone absent a stylus.

Some ppl can't for some reason think about a phone that's been out a yr. I don't understand why. Easy to buy a car that's older but a phone? I am being a little sarcastic.
When I turned in my phone to the store the rep tried to get me into the S7 said no then the edge said no... Then the iPhone 7
Said no. I had already said N5. Told him to listen to what I wanted not what he wanted me to have. Then I had to call CC to order the 64gig. So am in a 32gig until December

Tarah Sorber

Trusted Member
Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Some ppl can't for some reason think about a phone that's been out a yr. I don't understand why. Easy to buy a car that's older but a phone? I am being a little sarcastic.
When I turned in my phone to the store the rep tried to get me into the S7 said no then the edge said no... Then the iPhone 7
Said no. I had already said N5. Told him to listen to what I wanted not what he wanted me to have. Then I had to call CC to order the 64gig. So am in a 32gig until December

Yeah im at it again... i had the note 5 got the s7 edge because people kept asking me why i want a year old phone.. guess what... i returned the s7 edge yesterday lol...

ehosey2

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I was planning on using my Note5 as the internet home hotspot after getting the Note7. I have the double the data 60GB mobile share plan. Since I didn't want to lose my BOGO promo with AT&T I got the S7 Edge for $695.00 off of the $795.00 price via bill credits. It is a nice phone but I prefer my 1 year old Note5 over the Edge. The Edge will stay in the house. To me the Note5 is still a great device. I will use it until the Note8 is released.

hansstrik

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I would buy the Note 5 in a heart beat but make sure that you get the 64Gb. I bought the 32Gb and I'm coming up short with memory all the time.
But for half the cost it is a good deal. go for it.

Tarah Sorber

Trusted Member
Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
I would buy the Note 5 in a heart beat but make sure that you get the 64Gb. I bought the 32Gb and I'm coming up short with memory all the time.

I've been looking for a 64gb but they are hard to come by. AT&T no longer sells them and Best Buy doesn't have 64gb.. I would buy used but I don't trust people if they tell me their phone is only a few months old. I can't replace the battery so I'm trying to find a lightly used one

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I had a heat issue the other day with my s7 edge so I'm looking to see if any local tmobile stores have any note 5s left. None did yesterday but did say to check back today. I don't want to be in the s7 edge long term. Feel the note 8 may be several months away if not longer.

Tarah Sorber

Trusted Member
Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
I had a heat issue the other day with my s7 edge so I'm looking to see if any local tmobile stores have any note 5s left. None did yesterday but did say to check back today. I don't want to be in the s7 edge long term. Feel the note 8 may be several months away if not longer.

Lol Amy! I noticed my s7 edge got warm too while just browsing the internet my note 5 never did.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Makes me nuts lol. It's OK now but that ticked me off. I mean, I could feel the heat through an Otterbox. Also, for long term this just isn't big enough [edge]

brau0303

Trusted Member
Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
Well if you did find yourself with an N5 that had battery issues there are cases that can extend battery capacity. some are better than others (I have always thought the Mophie products were solid) Sadly some of these types of extender cases add more bulk than I would want.

Cheers,
BR
RIP N7

Tarah Sorber

Trusted Member
Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Makes me nuts lol. It's OK now but that ticked me off. I mean, I could feel the heat through an Otterbox. Also, for long term this just isn't big enough [edge]

I agree it felt small to me as well. Yea it makes me nuts too. My hubby is nuts by my phone issue.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site

You can get a dash micro SD reader fits into the port by meenova

hansstrik

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi

I've got one but that is not something you want to stick out all the time.

I have a VR which need 11 gig of info on the phone ..... so this one I can't use anymore.

I have two cloud clients but still 32 gig is not enough for a phone like note 5.

Vargur78

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Switched from 'tired' SGS7 to brand new Note 5 few weeks back & truly fell in love with that! Definitely going to keep it till the next summer when / if Note 8 or whatever they call it will be shown. I travel a lot around the globe inspecting very big container vessels we have under management and simply amazed how useful sPen is when you need to take a quick note on the go during inspection or while talking to the crew. Another good thing for me is that now I don't really have to monitor all the news abt new phones, new features, new spec's etc....but just simply wait for next G-note ;). Saving time for me.

With around 50 'must have' apps, few gb's of music, dozens of books - 32gb version is more than fine for me (I keep all my photo's in google photo).

Screenshot_20161104-115723.jpg

I know my post sounds emotional, but i'm really lovin' it! :)

Last edited:

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I really should have kept my Note 5 T-Mobile is not showing them as an available phone to purchase through them. Using an S7 Edge now which is great but I would definitely prefer note 5

Doug Moffat

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
Biggest problem with the Note 5 is that it lacks that awesome massive bezel at the bottom like the iPhone 7 plus. Where you gonna stick your "Post It" notes?

dougdraws

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
I did get a Note 5 today! Well, a few days ago. I went with AT&T after having been with Boost and the Galaxy S3 for about 2 years. The AT&T store here in town said they had one Note 5 in the back, which had been sitting there for a while. I was shocked (and very happy), since I couldn't find that phone anywhere else. I adopted it and took it home :)

Service is vastly improved over Boost. It's nice having a newer phone with better specs and call quality. Got all my stuff ported over to the Note, including Nova Prime. Played around for hours with all the cool settings, using the stylus (I love the stylus). With that big beautiful screen I had to get a new wallpaper and upgrade my icons. All is right with the world now.

church_home.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae