Samsung: Please Port GN7 UI/Software to GN5

dstrauss

May 7, 2014
Visit site
I was smitten with the form factor and design of the GN7 from first sight, but true love came with the cleaner/simplified Touchwiz and S-Pen supported software stack. I know that Samsung has a bad reputation for not bringing these features backward to older phones, but just this once they truly need to port those back to the Note 5 so users have a REAL option to the Note 7. The iPhone 7 Plus is a good device, but it is NO NOTE! Same goes for the S7Edge, in fact the entire Android flagship universe. The S-Pen is a game changer (always has been) and we can't wait a year for the Note 8 (or Galaxy 8Plus as some ar re-branding it).

Does anyone else feel this way?:'(

TwitchyPuppy

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
I don't know if they can do that since the Note 5 has a flatscreen, therefore lacking the edge features. Unless they modify it to fit.

Shanda5303

Banned
Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
I was smitten with the form factor and design of the GN7 from first sight, but true love came with the cleaner/simplified Touchwiz and S-Pen supported software stack. I know that Samsung has a bad reputation for not bringing these features backward to older phones, but just this once they truly need to port those back to the Note 5 so users have a REAL option to the Note 7. The iPhone 7 Plus is a good device, but it is NO NOTE! Same goes for the S7Edge, in fact the entire Android flagship universe. The S-Pen is a game changer (always has been) and we can't wait a year for the Note 8 (or Galaxy 8Plus as some ar re-branding it).

Does anyone else feel this way?:'(
Yep...I feel your pain 😢😭

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
As powerful as the Note 5 is its not a Note 7, sadly. I wonder how the Exynos would handle the Note 7's UI. I'm pretty satisfied with the Note 5 under MM.

dstrauss

May 7, 2014
Visit site
The N7 software isn't that advance. It shouldn't be too hard to convert the software over.

I realize it would be tough to emulate edge gestures, but the rest of the inter-operability functions, etc. would make teh GN5 golden until we get the GN8, or whatever they re-brand it as.

Soylent_Green

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
The Note 5 could easily handle the Note 7 software, it does have a better processor overall considering it has 8 cores. Hopefully Samsung does this as it's the next best thing to a Note 7.

dstrauss

May 7, 2014
Visit site
I sure hope they "patented" the double-click to access the camera from anywhere (including lock screen) as it will likely show up in the iPhone 8...:D

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I thought I read somewhere someone ported the software to a Note 4? I was kinda curious whether it could be done to a Note 5.

chin chen

Apr 18, 2016
Visit site
You guys can always root the phone and flash it on the Note 5, just saying.

It could come with Android N, i dont think Grace will arrive before it if at all

E Padilla

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site
I went back to my Note 5 yesterday after bringing back my Note 7 to Best Buy Mobile. ... and I notice the immediate differences in one year of technology. Note 5 is definitely a downgrade in comparison to the Note 7. I notice simply from the screen and how it looks. The Note 7's GraceUX needs to be ported to the Note 5.

boufa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I went back to my Note 5 yesterday after bringing back my Note 7 to Best Buy Mobile. ... and I notice the immediate differences in one year of technology. Note 5 is definitely a downgrade in comparison to the Note 7. I notice simply from the screen and how it looks. The Note 7's GraceUX needs to be ported to the Note 5.

Its mostly software. The screens, other than the curve, are very, very similar.

dstrauss

May 7, 2014
Visit site
Don't want to encourage any illegal behavior (hint hint) but would it be possible to side load GN7 features on the GN5, or are these really OS level functions?

badgerfrisch

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I'd love to seed this as well but I fear if we got that anytime soon it would be rushed and do more harm than good. I worry that any Nougat upgrade will lead to unintended problems (and it likely won't come our way until well into 2017).

brau0303

Trusted Member
Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
Often this would require root for the app to have the correct permissions. I if it can be done someone on XDA will figure it out. If I see anything I'll let folks know. (Ok to be clear, root may not be needed it depends on allot of different things)

Cheers,
BR

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance