Note 5 users - Are you happy?

lanenubia

May 21, 2010
Visit site
I am torn between going to Note 5 or S7e. I know what a S7e is like, but I have never seen a Note 5 in person. I had a Note 1, then the Note 3. Then skipped to the Note 7.

For those who opted to go with the Note 5, are you happy with it. Is there anything you miss from the Note 7 other than the iris scanner and SD card?

LailaAK

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
sister-in-law is one of those people who upgrade phone every year.

this time, she's so happy that she didn't get the Note 7. (only because she was waiting to see what the new iPhone 7 Plus would look like... then the Note 7 fiasco started)

Last I checked, she is still very happy with her Note 5 that she purchased from Verizon for only $367(after $300 trade-in offer for a $9 smartphone, as welll as other discount).

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
The Note 5 is a great phone. I had/have it. I liked my Note 7 better, but the N5 was great too.

Lot's of folks don't like the lack of SD card and the smallish battery (3000mah battery for a 5.7 inch screen seems kind of low). Overall though there is not much to not like. Great camera, great screen, flat screen (for those who don't want the curve), better S Notes I think. Very solid device ..

fragologist

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
My brother in law has one and he loves it. Just keep in mind it does not have a replaceable battery and SD card slot. If that matters to you then get the note 4. I still use the note 4 and love it.

Cary Quinn

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I went from a Note 3 to the Note 5 and then the Note 7. I still have my Note 3 (paid for) and will probably switch back to it in the meantime.

The Note 5 for me was a great upgrade from the 3. But my plan allows me to benefit from Cloud storage for shared media, and I was not using the full 64Gb of space on the phone. I will miss the new stylus and sceure folder, but there are workarounds for that. If money was no object, I could see myself going back to the Note 5.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Loved my Note 7. Currently have the Note 5 and like it. I had this before my first Note 7 pre-order and had it paid off and sold 😐. At any rate now I have a new one from tmobile. I do really enjoy it. I had the S7 EDGE briefly for just a few days before going with the Note 5. Issue I had with the edge was they only had gold or silver so I got gold. It was way too shiny and almost blinding in some perspectives. Ended up exchanging for the Note 5 because of the color issue and thought I was missing the flat screen and s pen. Well now I miss the S7 edge to me it was very close to a Note 7 setup. Now though no tmobile nearby locations have the black and neither does tmobile online it's not even offered as an option. I really liked the always on display and how it looked on the phone. Argh.

lanenubia

May 21, 2010
Visit site
Loved my Note 7. Currently have the Note 5 and like it. I had this before my first Note 7 pre-order and had it paid off and sold 😐. At any rate now I have a new one from tmobile. I do really enjoy it. I had the S7 EDGE briefly for just a few days before going with the Note 5. Issue I had with the edge was they only had gold or silver so I got gold. It was way too shiny and almost blinding in some perspectives. Ended up exchanging for the Note 5 because of the color issue and thought I was missing the flat screen and s pen. Well now I miss the S7 edge to me it was very close to a Note 7 setup. Now though no tmobile nearby locations have the black and neither does tmobile online it's not even offered as an option. I really liked the always on display and how it looked on the phone. Argh.
I was just about to settle on the Note 5 until I saw your comments. Now I am back in the middle again. The problem is that nothing is as good as the Note 7. Love the edge and I love the Stylus and use both of them daily. But I have to give one up.

I think I am going to have to come to terms that I am going to be unhappy for the next year no matter which way I go.

cynth.hgn

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site
I had N5 before N7. Loved it when I had it, but after N7 I can't go back. S7 edge is closer to N7 imo, without spen of course. I'll use the s7 edge till the next Note comes out.

athenatp

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I had a Note 5 and I might go back to it after I try out the LG V20. The only thing I hated was that the battery was really bad. I would charge 2-3 times a day, and I am not a heavy game or app user. But I do text and use the phone alot for my job. Internet use on it 2-3 times a day. Overall I was happy with it. Just hated the battery. I get all day heavier use with the Note. Leave my house at 100%, come back home with 30% without charging throughout the day.

E Padilla

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site
The Note 5 is a great device but the user interface does look dated in comparison to the Note 7. I really miss my Note 7 but I can survive with the Note 5 till the Note 8 next year.

Plus, my Note 5 was already paid off (Thank goodness I didn't sell it yet or give it away) so that helped in my migration back to the Note 5 after the Note 7 fiasco. If I had sold this phone and changed to Note 7.. I would be kinda irritated. The Note 5 just needs the Grace UX from the Note 7 but I somehow doubt Samsung will give us that update since the Note 5 is probably considered outdated tech in their eyes.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I had N5 before N7. Loved it when I had it, but after N7 I can't go back. S7 edge is closer to N7 imo, without spen of course. I'll use the s7 edge till the next Note comes out.
That's exactly how I feel, and what I'm doing. And after the last update that was waiting for me on the note 5 while I was using the note 7, the battery life on the note 5 sucks now.

calicocat2010

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Nope. Not happy with my battery draining hog Note 5. It doesn't matter if i am using Package Disabler PRO, it doesn't matter if I have 5 signal bars most of time, it doesn't matter if I hardly use the phone. This Phone drains Horribly. I can be at 100% when I go to bed and when I wake up it's at 66 percent. THERE'S nothing that keeps it awake either. I have to charge it at least 2-3 times a day. If I keep disabling apps then the phone becomes useless to me as apps are what the people use to get through their day. And Get this, I used the SAME Apps on the Note 7, and of course with its bigger battery, that phone lasted me All day.

Waiting Impatiently for my LG V20!

Dimas de Leon

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
If Note 5 had Grace UX, I'd be happy. My loaner was a S7edge and I really liked it. I thought it was the perfect size and pretty damn fast, but again, it doesn't have Grace UX. I'm holding out for the LG V20. Then I'm eligible for a JUMP in late November.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
The Note 5 is a great device but the user interface does look dated in comparison to the Note 7. I really miss my Note 7 but I can survive with the Note 5 till the Note 8 next year.

Plus, my Note 5 was already paid off (Thank goodness I didn't sell it yet or give it away) so that helped in my migration back to the Note 5 after the Note 7 fiasco. If I had sold this phone and changed to Note 7.. I would be kinda irritated. The Note 5 just needs the Grace UX from the Note 7 but I somehow doubt Samsung will give us that update since the Note 5 is probably considered outdated tech in their eyes.
That's exactly what I did-had a Note 5 I had just paid off and sold to recover the initial Note 7 purchase. Have a new note 5 through tmobile now have had for 5 days have 9 more days before remorse period ends.

Also, I have a paid off Nexus 6 I recently bought outright when I sold something else. Debating on going to that temporarily until a black s7Edge is available or S8Plus (if that's a real option), but unsure I used it for part of a day the other day and already missed the Samsung experience-samsung pay, layout, etc.

buckifvr

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I had a Note 5 and traded it in for the Note 7. I liked the Note 5 but liked the Note 7 better. What a mistake, with all the BS with the Note 7. Don't get me wrong, I love the Note 7 but with the recall, I decided to go back to a Note 5 because I wanted fast wireless charging and the S-pen. Plus I didn't like the long curves on the S7E. Since I traded my original Note 5, I chose to purchase a used Note 5 on Amazon. By doing that I can get a full refund on my Note 7, retain my upgrade status, reverse the contract from 1 year to month to month thus reducing my monthly access fee. For me, its basically a wash. I am where I was before I upgraded to the Note 7. Too bad, I loved the Note 7.

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
After returning my N7 I went with the S7 edge, but I still have my note 5 as a backup. It's a great phone. Had I not liked the S7 edge I would have kept using my note 5.The only reason I went away from it was because of being able to get an SD card back. I somehow used up all the space on a 64 gb phone. Other than that I was very happy with my 5.

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Am I happy with the Note 5? Put it this way, it's treated me fairly well this last year, I like the flat screen, processor is smooth, no lag, display is excellent, reception excellent, battery could be better but I'm getting 5 hours SOT and with a quick recharge, back in business. The 64GB model I have coupled with The Cloud takes care of the non existent SD card. I prefer a replaceable battery and while the Note 7 looked to be a fine phone, it's now history and I look forward to a smoother running Note 8.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
My quirk is that I looooved the note 7. Note 5 in store price is less but it's almost the same as the S7edge which is newer...at this time I don't have an option to purchase one of the new devices outright say on Amazon or best buy etc..I'm going through Tmobile. I did get a Nexus 6 recently after selling an old bike . Using it right now, considering using it until I can get the black S7 edge I really want. Through Tmobile so far black isn't available online or in local stores. Once I do get it I'll sell the Nexus to recoup