Thoughts on Galaxy Note 5?

Modanostar9

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
With the obvious demise of the Note 7, it seem like the Note 5 had/has a good reputation.

Does anyone have any feedback they can share about how the Galaxy Note 5 worked for them? Good battery life? Does the stylus pen hold up over time? Still SEEMS like a decent phone even after being a couple years on the market.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I can't speak for long term use. I upgraded from the Note5 to the N7 and with all this got the 5. I am really pleased. For now tho am in a 32 gig. Verizon is out of the 64vig till Nov 15th.
And they are allowing me to switch out.
The Note 5 is still in my opinion a great device. Drawback is no SD card slot but 64 gig should be ok. It's quick and very responsive. No lag. Battery life is not that bad. I can get a full day with it. . If I use more I have a Mophie I use for a quick recharge.
It charges up quicker than my Note 7 did on the fast wireless charger. Go figure. It's comfortable to hold like the Note7. Does not run hot. The stylus is responsive.
I have no real complaints. Just wish I had the 64 gig now. So I have o lyrics set up basics on what I can't live without.
Camera is awesome. Got great shots at our Cards game last night.
I am happy. Have a good phone. No regrets getting it

faith3935

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
I currently own mines for over a year now. No major issues with it. The battery is okay. If you intend on using the S Pen alot so I would buy a spare S Pen just in case as the clicker inside the top of the S Pen tends to go out under heavy usage .

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I have had the Note 7, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. The 5 is a great device and worked very well for me for home and work email stuff. Camera etc was decent, Samsung pay worked but had to be careful how to hold the phone at certain types of terminals etc. Battery wasn't too bad. I ended up going to the s7 edge. It reminded me more of the note 7, camera has been taking better shots, GREAT for work, Samsung pay works a lot easier, and voice texting is much better as well.

blackhemi4x4

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
I was a long time Note 5 user. On the Note 5 from day one and went to the Note 7. After that day off, I decided to try the S7 Edge. A week of that phone force me to go get another note 5 today.

The Note 5 is a very capable phone. The S7 specs or little bit better but for most of us users, everyone should be pretty pleased with the Note 5 other than its small memory and lack of water resistance.

In my opinion, the Note 5 is it worth going back to until they figure out what note is going to come out next

brau0303

Trusted Member
Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
On day 2 of my N5, liking it so far. Seems odd to be on a flat screen again. I had the Note Edge, then S7 Edge, then Note 7. I have my N5 in the same brand/model case as the N7, it looks very similar to the N7 (but different too).

Cheers,
BR
RIP N7

ehosey2

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I have some thoughts on my Note5. But first the backstory. It is now my daily driver again. It is set up the same as my Note7 that I have not yet turned in to AT&T since I am waiting on receiving hopefully another Note5. Why would I want another Note5? Because when I bought 2 Note7's in August it qualified for the BOGO promotion AT&T was running. Saturday my wife traded her Note7 for the S7 Edge. It is a nice phone. She is happy. But to me, it is not what I want. So dealing with Samsung and AT&T there is a chance I will get another Note5. I will wait a bit longer. As I sit at home and use my Note7, I am also using my Note5. Some thoughts......and this is my perception, but to me it seems my Note5 is faster and snappier at everything than my Note7. Web browsing especially seems quicker. The Samsung keyboard on my Note5 is excellent with no lag, my Note7 not so much. Lag is a problem and have since switched to the Google keyboard. And for some reason I missed more letters typing on the Note7 than my Note5. While aesthetically pleasing with the slight curves, the screen on the Note7 seems to make words "float" if that makes sense. The screen looks nice but going back to my Note5 it just looks more "natural". I think I like the flat screen of the Note5 better. The S-Pen to me also works better on the Note5 due to the flat screen. I also find it easier to do tasks with S-Note. Those are just a few thoughts. I believe if the Note7 did not get cancelled it would receive a great optimization software update to fix the lag and speed up the device. I really think the Note5 is awesome but I will miss my Note7 when I eventually trade it for something else because I really do like the device.

seangprice

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
I made the switch from the N7 to the N5 on T-Mobile. Ordering online or the phone only prompted 32gb version, it took me several hours to find a local T-Mobile store that stocked the 64gb version, which in my opinion is a must if replacing the N7. The N5 lacks a few features that the N7 had but overall its still an awesome phone. UI is smooth, camera is close to the 7 series but lacks in low light and the lack of added storage sucks. Overall I'm happy with the N5 and should take me through the next version of Samsungs Stylus offering.

If you're on T-Mobile there are a few 32gb models to be found but it seems that the 64gb versions is nearly impossible to find and order. If the 64 hadn't been available to me I would have probably gone S7/Edge.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
The note 5 won't burn your face off. J/K. It's a great phone. It's become my take with phone instead of my S7 Edge. I have the 64GB Gold model. I haven't run out of space yet but then, I don't use the phone to store music on or any videos.

marz at play

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Back on my note 5 and find I prefer it over the Note 7. Almost glad it got cancelled as it allowed me to go back to the best phone I've ever used.

brau0303

Trusted Member
Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
I have the 64gb version and have about 3gb music/audio, 8gb pictured/videos, 7gb apps. So excluding 10.24gb reserved for system, 4.52gb of other, I currently have 32gb of free space. I can live with that for now (it is kind of a downer because I got used to having the massive 256gb sd card but the phone seems to run well, gets decent battery life and won't go into melt down *working as IT in a Hospital, that would be frowned on*) :)

Cheers,
BR
RIP N7

seangprice

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
I got mine last week on JOD. The local store could not order the 64 but they called every store in my area, found one which they reserved for me. It looks like T-Mobile is selling out stock, 32gb versions are easier to find in several colors, 64gb seems to be rare if to be found at all. Good Luck! I wouldn't get anything less than 64gb N5 in my opinion.

TV417

Oct 31, 2015
Visit site
I ❤ my Note 5! I have a home based business, and very often, I don't even turn on my Laptop. I can do everything from the phone. I solve the battery issue by having a portable charger and carrying it with me.

ehosey2

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
^I ended up buying a 6700mAh RAV Power battery also to have in the event of times I am at work and am unable to find a power source. My battery has degraded to 2517mAh per AccuPattery Pro and after the 6.0.1 update it drains faster.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I am using the 32gig until my order for the 64 gig arrives because Verizon is out of it.
I LOVE this Note 5. Been using two weeks now. Snappy no lag. Battery is decent. Charging faster than Note7.
Am very pleased with everything so far

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I just got the 64GB version about 1 3/4 weeks ago and it hasn't given me anything to complain about. We're it this time last year I'd likely be in love but knowing it's over a year old has definitely taken some of the luster away. I use it as my work device. I have no lag.

Again, there is nothing to complain about. In fact, it has quite a bit going for and it probably won't spontaneously combust, so there is that.