Note 5 Bluetooth calls

Brew61

Jan 6, 2017
Visit site
I have a Galaxy Note 5 and I use a Jabra freeway bluetooth in my car. When I try and make a call it says it can not find a network connection. Now I use to have a Samsung S4 and when I push the button on the bluetooth to make a call I would say "Phone Commands" then it would ask me what I wanted to do and I would say "call so and so" and it would call them. I would have no wifi and data would be turned off.

Now with the Note 5 I push the button and then say "phone commands" it comes back and says can not find network connection. If I have wifi or my data turned on it will work. So why can I not make a call if I have no wifi or data service?

Bruce McMillan
Samsung Note 5 with Virgin Canada

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Hmm. I have a Bluetooth stereo and I've just started the call on the phone (dialed) before going on the car and it rings through the Bluetooth speakers and I can talk hands free. I'll have to see about the calling feature. It should work if you setup "ok google" where Google voice assistant helps you make the call out

underway99

Trusted Member
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I think the Google assistant and/or Samsung S-Voice requires a data connection to perform some functions. Also check to see if you have WiFi calling or HD calling enabled. If so, disable them and try again.

underway99

Trusted Member
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Look at SETTINGS, then find ADVANCED CALLING. The name may be different depending on your carrier but, whatever it's called, it will likely be in the WIRELESS AND NETWORKS section at the top of SETTINGS. I've seen various reports that the advanced calling features sometimes cause interference with BT connections.

It doesn't sound like that's your issue though. I missed the part of your OP where you said that your BT commands work when you have a network connection. You don't say if you can make calls by voice without the BT.

The S4 is three going on four years old. A lot of the functions that used to be executed entirely on the phone are now run from or through the cloud. You're apparently asking the newer Note 5 to do something that requires data access. You should be able to dial directly from the phone, or call from your contact list.

Last edited:

Brew61

Jan 6, 2017
Visit site
Ok still could not find Wifi or HD call. Did a search for it and it never came up. But I think I fixed the problem. When I first connected with my blue tooth and asked to use either S Voice or Google app to use as default, I guess I picked S Voice, I have now cleared that and picked Google app. I turned off wifi and data and was able to make a call by using voice commands into my bluetooth.

Bruce

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781