AT&T Note 5 - unacceptable battery life

waazzupppp

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I know this is sort of an older thread, but look at your "Most Used Apps List" and realize that they are all in the top 5 battery killers on the market today.
Snapchat - ranked #1 when in use and #5 when idle...
Facebook - ranked #2 when in use and #1 when idle... In fact, Facebook just issued a major apology for the App destroying battery life because it would just sit and spin in the background trying to pull data.
Instagram - ranked #3 when in use and #5 when idle...
Twitter - ranked #4 when in use and #4 when idle...

Just using those Apps (and FB Messenger) will drop 10-15% of your battery life per hour under NORMAL usage. FB/Messy/Pages were draining about 10% of my battery when idle and 20% when in use alone! Try kicking a few of those to the curb short term and see if it helps things. It sounds like you are getting a bum deal on your Note, but killing it with all those spinning Apps is going to be terrible on any device.

d1nman

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
Oh I agree. I killed off Facebook and all its associated apps. I actually rarely use Twitter on the the phone at least, and Instagram is an every once in a while deal too. Snapchat, on the other hand, I do use a lot

RadeonHD4250

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
It's a shame that the only way to get "good" battery life is to kill all the services that make a smart phone smart.

The amount of micromanaging one must do is atrocious!

I was thinking about the Note 5. I'm currently on a rooted Note 4. I would have assumed a stock Note 5 would have awesome battery life in comparison to a rooted Note 4 but I was dead wrong.

I'm glad your battery life is somewhat back under control, though.

After rooting I just noticed that there are a million completely unnecessary processes running in the background that just makes me want to throw up.

Rooting your phone will help substantially, but depending on your level of tech knowledge, it may be a long road to get there. My Note 4 is way older than your Note 5, but it's still chugging!

Below are screenies of battery situation after all of my "modifications."

Attachments

• 896.jpg
    896.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 33

RadeonHD4250

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
I have most of all services on.
Location in High Accuracy
Auto Brightness
Wifi

Some apps I use on a daily: Facebook, Messenger, Instagram, Twitter, WhatsApp, etc.

Now, the trick is the amount of times these apps are programmed to "wake up" your phone. It's abnormal.

Once I rooted, I unbounced / limited these wakelocks to the point where they aren't using up as much battery. As long as you don't unbounce certain things you don't even break app functionality.

I would definitely look into rooting for a rainy day.
Some root apps I use to manage the system is Amplify, Greenify, Force Dose and Power Nap.

It takes a little time to fine tune, but once you do the reward is worth it.

I never had to turn anything off or worry about battery life with my iPhone.

Now after a year almost two years with the Note 4, I can finally say the same thing. It's to the point where I'm equalling and rivaling an iPhone 6S Plus on standby time!

Not bad for Android.

XDA forums is where I started. It was a little intimidating, but I can safely say battery life and system performance woes are a thing of the past.

d1nman

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
Sweet. I may look into rooting it. I rooted my s5 long ago and it was great.

That battery life on your note 4 is insane

mwake4goten

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Oh I agree. I killed off Facebook and all its associated apps. I actually rarely use Twitter on the the phone at least, and Instagram is an every once in a while deal too. Snapchat, on the other hand, I do use a lot
However you could use popular and respected Facebook and Twitter skin such as "Metal" search for it on Google Play. Allows you to use Facebook and Twitter without using the official app. I get all the Facebook and Twitter functions but without the memory and battery hog of the original apps...

mwake4goten

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Sorry you had a bad experience with your phone. I have the HTC 10 and my wife had the Note 5 and I have optimised my phone to death and I still don't get the battery life she gets on her Note 5. She has all the location services on including the ok Google Assistant when the screen is off. She still gets better battery life than me. I have a metal case too I wonder if that's affecting my battery life too, just as someone mentioned in this thread.

d1nman

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
Damnit, dropped this thing last night and cracked the back. I've replaced many of them on customers devices but I hate to lose my original back with the IMEI and all that good stuff. I plan on keeping this phone. Does anyone have any neat tricks/mods to recommend for this device? Can it be rooted?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance