"Device Software Modified"

brucedbr

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Hi!
Ever so often, I get a message that comes up that says "Device Software Modified - Your device may be at risk" When I click that notification, Verizon's Support and Protection app comes up. It doesn't say anything about the notification and I can't find where this notification comes from.

Fairly recently I had to wipe my phone back to factory specs (different reason) and this strange message still comes up. It's not every day, but I'd say ... maybe once a week or so, maybe even less often. My phone seems to operate normally, no issues that I can detect. Just that "device software modified" message.

Anyone have any ideas what could this be? My phone is up to date on all the Verizon updates.

Appreciate any help anyone could give.

Bruce

Hghlndr

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Hey... have this on my VZ N5 too. Frequency is only 1x or so a month and like you VZ'S app opens when notification tapped with no info. Has proven nothing to be concerned about, though I keep an eye on things.
Do you use a Gear VR? I do and there's lots of updates. Maybe there's s connection.
Anyway, good luck

brucedbr

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. I didn't think it was anything too concerning, but still...there has to be SOMETHING that triggers that. Wish I knew what. No, i don't use VR, but I recently started using the Gear S2 (smart watch). But this has been happening way prior to my purchasing the watch. I thought about calling VZW, but figured I'd have a hard time getting past the script readers! :)

Thanks!

underway99

Trusted Member
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I cleared the cache on my stock Verizon Note 5 last week, and I had the root notification ("CUSTOM" over an open padlock) on the Samsung splash screen when I restarted the device. My Knox counter wasn't tripped, and my software status was "OFFICIAL". A reboot cleared the indication, but I was left wondering how long it will be before I see it again.

chubby22

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
I was getting this message a few months ago, made a post in the google play stay store, Verizon did respond and said it was software related. The error message was triggered after scans. I did go away after they pushed an update...

underway99

Trusted Member
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. I hadn't done any scan, but had just cleared the cache from the recovery menu and got the error on the reboot. I did the same thing today (weekly routine) and it hasn't returned.