Just got my Note 5 64GB the other day from Amazon. Love this phone. Have an Otterbox Commuter case on it. The other morning I was walking the huskies in the morning. I pulled the phone from my pocket while wearing leather gloves and accidentally dropped it. It fell from almost shoulder height to the cement sodewalk, bounced, then flipped over. Zero damage ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    egood71, underway99 and JoshDunc like this.
    01-28-2017 05:22 AM
    I've been using Otterbox cases on all the phones in my house for a very long time, all the way back to our BlackBerry Tour days. My wife's phones have been the only ones that the Commuters can't seem to protect from the decent drops and such. She is on her third Note 4 because she keeps taking the damned case off to swap the battery in the middle of her day (no battery is enough for Facebook and Pokemon), often not putting the Commuter back on the phone. When I buy a new phone, the case is most often here before the phone arrives.
    amyf27 and JoshDunc like this.
    01-28-2017 09:22 AM
    I have the Otterbox Defender on mine. I've dropped my phone in the snow and because the ports are covered, it was protected. I did have to reboot the phone for some reason because it froze up right after.

The only thing that is annoying when dropped is the pen tends to pop out easily.
    01-29-2017 01:34 PM
    I haven't had the S-pen dropping out yet. I'd read that it was a problem with some of the very early devices. Mine was manufactured at the end of September last year.

Are you surprised that your phone "froze" after dropping it in snow?

Yes, I went there. Too hard to resist the low-hanging fruit.
    01-29-2017 01:56 PM
    I have the defender case. Dropped my phone pretty forcibly, from chest height going thru security turnstile at work. No damage whatsoeverand didn't realize the pen popped out until almost a week later. Since the maintenance crew at my job sucks, my pen was right beside the turnstile where I originally dropped it. Only negative is lack of pen protection.
    01-31-2017 01:08 AM
    I have the defender case. Dropped my phone pretty forcibly, from chest height going thru security turnstile at work. No damage whatsoeverand didn't realize the pen popped out until almost a week later. Since the maintenance crew at my job sucks, my pen was right beside the turnstile where I originally dropped it. Only negative is lack of pen protection.
    The corner where the pen is, is rubber and you can actually bend the front edge with your fingers. All the other corners/sides are hardened plastic.
    01-31-2017 06:59 AM
    I used the Defender for my S6, before switching to Note 5. It was really nice. Because I switched to phablet, using bulkier cases would have made it even weireder. Now I use 2 cases for my current phone but i decided for slimmer ones. For occasions when I don't use the phone too much it is the Spiegen Slim. And for heavy using and longer trips I have the I-blades modular case, which adds no bulk and gives me extra battery, 64GB extra memory and additional possibilities, really smart. However if I decide to go back to S8 instead of Note 8 I would use the Defender again, though I can't complain from the current cases since they hold the Military certificatte
    03-17-2017 06:03 AM