Is Note 5 the premiere Samsung phone?

mcoomer

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
With the Note 7 debacle and the S8 not out yet, is the Note 5 the device to have still? I haven't played with an S7 Edge but my work phone is an S7 and I much prefer my Note to it. I'm hopeful the Note 8 will knock it out of the park but right now I don't see a better alternative. Am I overlooking something?

Mike

Diehlirious

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site
With the Note 7 debacle and the S8 not out yet, is the Note 5 the device to have still? I haven't played with an S7 Edge but my work phone is an S7 and I much prefer my Note to it. I'm hopeful the Note 8 will knock it out of the park but right now I don't see a better alternative. Am I overlooking something?

Mike

There's something special about Note phones so I'll vote for yes

underway99

Trusted Member
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
You haven't missed anything.

I have both, and my S7 Edge has Android 7, but I can't put bring myself to put my SIM back into the S7 Edge. The S7 Edge screams BETTER. Better display, better camera, bigger battery.

This Note 5 is the complete package though. It's plenty fast, I can easily get a day + from the battery, there's no curved edge display, and it has the S-pen. How could you possibly beat it with anything else on the market?

con5150

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I love my Note 5, honestly I would miss the S pen if I didn't have it , this is my first Note phone and the first Samsung phone that doesn't have me pining for anything other the next Note

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
You haven't missed anything.

I have both, and my S7 Edge has Android 7, but I can't put bring myself to put my SIM back into the S7 Edge. The S7 Edge screams BETTER. Better display, better camera, bigger battery.

This Note 5 is the complete package though. It's plenty fast, I can easily get a day + from the battery, there's no curved edge display, and it has the S-pen. How could you possibly beat it with anything else on the market?

I love my Note 5, honestly I would miss the S pen if I didn't have it , this is my first Note phone and the first Samsung phone that doesn't have me pining for anything other the next Note

I'm muddling along with an AT&T Galaxy S7 Active because after having both the Original Note 7 then the Replacement Note 7, I got too used to that battery life. When I fired up my Note 5 after returning the Replacement Note 7, it only took a week for me to get frustrated with the battery. The S7 Active has 4000 mAh battery and I'm just living without the pen until the Note 8 arrives... got Nougat about 10 days ago so having fun with that now too!

Alex_Hong

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site

Mike

I think it's close, but will be down to whether you need the S-Pen or not. If it's not a deal breaker, I think the S7 Edge is still a nicer phone since it's water resistant and has larger battery. Even the 16MP camera still looks great. The s7 edge may have much faster autofocus, but I still like the way the Note5's camera processes images. I'm not a huge fan of the curved display even though it does look nice, but I do really miss the Always on display, and i wish they would port the feature over. Other than that, the Note5 is still an amazing phone. Actually I did a revisit of the Note5 just last week, and it was really great using it as my daily driver again.

I actually tested the U Ultra before that, and it's surprising how similar they are. And i'll still pick the Note5 over the much newer U Ultra actually. Same (not so awesome) battery capacity, similar design, I still prefer amoled screens, the phone is more compact even though it's the same screen size (minus the secondary screen), the S-Pen is really useful too.