Hi experts! I have an old old windows 98 program that if I could run it on my note 5 would change my life. Is there really no emulator to run such an app? I've been searching high and low and am amazed that no such tool seems to exist!!
    Thanks in advance for your help!!
    Stephanie
    03-27-2017 10:32 AM
    03-27-2017 10:41 AM
    Welcome to the forums. Windows programs are .exe based. Android is based off the Linux kernel and can't run those types of files.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-27-2017 10:42 AM
    Welcome to the forums. Windows programs are .exe based. Android is based off the Linux kernel and can't run those types of files.
    Is there a technical hurdle that makes some sort of converter or emulator impossible to create? I can't imagine there isn't a demand for such a tool!
    03-27-2017 10:50 AM
    maybe sign up for the preview. https://www.codeweavers.com/products/crossover-android
    note that the above is for intel based products. you haven;t specified exactly what you are using as your android device.

As a word of advice, remember android is basically Linux. You would probably get a lot more help on this topic on a linux forum than and android forum.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...atorbeta&hl=en
    03-27-2017 10:51 AM
    Hi experts! I have an old old windows 98 program that if I could run it on my note 5 would change my life.
    Which program is it that you find so compelling? I'm thinking you might want to direct your efforts into finding a current equivalent if there is one.
    03-27-2017 12:39 PM
    Technical reasons:
    1: Different operating system. Windows 9x kernel (.exe) isn't going to be compatible with the Linux kernel (hence why an emulator on linux is needed to run windows apps/games, even on the same hardware).
    2: Completely different hardware architecture. ARM compared to AMD/Intel x86. This would be true also trying to run an x64 windows app on x86 based windows.

There is currently no emulator made to run windows x86 apps on Android/Arm. I'm not a programmer, but I suspect even emulating intel/x86 on a low power ARM processor would be quite difficult, and may not even run as well as the app running native on it's intended hardware, even with the age difference.
    03-27-2017 02:22 PM
    There is currently no emulator made to run windows x86 apps on Android/Arm. I'm not a programmer, but I suspect even emulating intel/x86 on a low power ARM processor would be quite difficult, and may not even run as well as the app running native on it's intended hardware, even with the age difference.
    Actually if you do a quick search for something like 'Windows emulator' in the Play Store there are several apps that will allow you run Windows applications in Android. But they all have limitations and I still contend the OP would be better off using an alternative, equivalent native Android app if possible.
    03-27-2017 02:42 PM
    Which program is it that you find so compelling? I'm thinking you might want to direct your efforts into finding a current equivalent if there is one.
    The program is project & life management tool that was originally written for Win98/NT.
    I have been searching for 5 years to find a replacement and believe me there isn't one.
    Everything these days is in some way trying to use GTD (getting things done by David Allen). GTD is the worst thing to ever happen to the productivity application space... GTD is, pardon my language, crap.
    03-27-2017 04:53 PM
    Technical reasons:
    1: Different operating system. Windows 9x kernel (.exe) isn't going to be compatible with the Linux kernel (hence why an emulator on linux is needed to run windows apps/games, even on the same hardware).
    2: Completely different hardware architecture. ARM compared to AMD/Intel x86. This would be true also trying to run an x64 windows app on x86 based windows.

Right, those things I know, is there a genuine reason though that someone can't write a piece of code that will "translate" if you will? in the words of Elon Musk..."tell me the physics of why it can't be done"
    03-27-2017 04:55 PM
    Right, those things I know, is there a genuine reason though that someone can't write a piece of code that will "translate" if you will? in the words of Elon Musk..."tell me the physics of why it can't be done"
    If there's a market, there's a player. If there was enough demand to overcome the technical hurdles, someone would do it. But why run Windows​ apps in some emulator when you can just develop a native Android version?
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
    03-27-2017 09:22 PM