Waiting for a Note 8 or switching to Galaxy S8?

sforsyth01

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
I went with the S8+ because I never used the SPen on any of my Notes (3, 4, and 5) so with Verizon giving the big trade value on the Note 5 toward the S8+, I couldn't say no.

sforsyth01

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
But I bet you have to keep it for two full years is that accurate?

No idea. I had to keep my note for a full 2 years. Ended up paying it off with 165 left because of this deal. I have no issue doing that if I get more than I owe toward my new device.

anon(10206632)

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I'm keeping my note 5 until it stops getting newer op system updates. Nougat will put me off from upgrading but if we don't get "O" then bye bye 5.
Note 5 will not be getting Android O. It got M and N. That's it. 2 cycle upgrades. Even Google only upgrades their nexues and Pixel phones with only 2 major cycle upgrades. You should feel lucky getting N.

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Note 5 will not be getting Android O. It got M and N. That's it. 2 cycle upgrades. Even Google only upgrades their nexues and Pixel phones with only 2 major cycle upgrades. You should feel lucky getting N.

These only two cycles for phones that run very well... reek! Google and phone makers want us to buy new phones every two years.

Ok... as long as Verizon continues the security updates.

The phones are getting expensive and the batteries don't make it two years, especially for heavy business users.

They got us hooked! This was the game plan all along. 🙄

Byrese

Feb 4, 2016
Visit site
These only two cycles for phones that run very well... reek! Google and phone makers want us to buy new phones every two years.

Ok... as long as Verizon continues the security updates.

The phones are getting expensive and the batteries don't make it two years, especially for heavy business users.

They got us hooked! This was the game plan all along. 🙄

You are absolutely right...that's their plan. Every 18-24 months.

1. They knew the average consumet likes buying new things to be relevant. So they market the hell out of us.
2. Most phones no longer have removable batteries. This was key!

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
You are absolutely right...that's their plan. Every 18-24 months.

1. They knew the average consumet likes buying new things to be relevant. So they market the hell out of us.
2. Most phones no longer have removable batteries. This was key!

I recently had to push Verizon, with for over sixteen years to replace under factory extended warranty the degraded battery. Frankly, it was akin to getting your teeth pulled. Both Verizon and Samsung kept on deferring to each other and it was only when we had a three way conference call, that Samsung agreed... at no charge to me. And, because of all the hassle, Verizon sent me a loaner Note 5.

One thing I learned... keep your last phone as a backup. Don't trade it in or sell on swappa unless you get a lot of money for it.

The fact that unlike Apple, Sammy has very few city repair centers for their phones. This stinks! Apple, you can make an appointment, get a new battery, repaired or a replacement phone. With Samsung, it's a hassle.

THIS last time, the battery replacement Finally worked, but it took time.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
One thing I learned... keep your last phone as a backup. Don't trade it in or sell on swappa unless you get a lot of money for it.

I had two Note 7s and I'm now running an S7 Active while waiting the arrival of the Note 8. My Note 5 went back into service when I had to return the "Original" Note 7 until the "Replacement" arrived and then again when I had to return the "Replacement" until I picked up the S7 Active (only because I had become accustomed to the better battery life of the Note 7s). The Note 5 is now comfortably in it's box as a backup like you said 'Climb14er'!!! You NEVER know!

dougdraws

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
Currently have the Note 5 with AT&T. They said I could upgrade to the Note 8 when it comes out - all I'd have to pay are the taxes. Tempting, but I'd like to wait until it comes out and see if there are any issues with the phone before I make a decision.

Byrese

Feb 4, 2016
Visit site
I recently had to push Verizon, with for over sixteen years to replace under factory extended warranty the degraded battery. Frankly, it was akin to getting your teeth pulled. Both Verizon and Samsung kept on deferring to each other and it was only when we had a three way conference call, that Samsung agreed... at no charge to me. And, because of all the hassle, Verizon sent me a loaner Note 5.

The fact that unlike Apple, Sammy has very few city repair centers for their phones. This stinks! Apple, you can make an appointment, get a new battery, repaired or a replacement phone. With Samsung, it's a hassle.

THIS last time, the battery replacement Finally worked, but it took time.

Frankly, this is one of the benefits of Apple.

Byrese

Feb 4, 2016
Visit site
This is why I'm still on note 3 as it has replaceable batteries. On my 3rd, phone still works fine.

Now my battery is having trouble charging. Smh. I'm gonna try my hardest to make it to a Note 8 but man...I dunno right now. It's seriously becoming a problem now, though it already was.

con5150

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I held a GS8 today, not the + , have to say it felt very small in my ✋, it felt really weird to have a device so narrow in width. I would have to hold a + but no way I would go with the 8.

My daily phone has been a Note 5 for the last 8 months with the N6 as backup and for home use.

I was shocked with how small the 8 is , I would advise anyone to hold the phones in hand before making a decision on the Galaxy S8