Love my note 5, but I dropped it and the LCD is no longer working. I am over the warranty period and do not have insurance on it. My screen is in perfect condition and not cracked at all!! Local shops are asking $250 - $300 to replace the screen and LCD and they cannot fix just the LCD. I contacted Samsung and they said they can fix the LCD for $70 which was questionable to me. Anyone have any experience with fixing a broken LCD???
    04-09-2017 10:12 PM
    If samsung said they can do it, it should be fine, they have the tools and the parts. The screen has two parts, the LCD, and the digitiser.. They can replace one or the other, or both..
    Sam_Gs7 likes this.
    04-09-2017 10:24 PM
    While you get a user, experienced similar issue. The advisable
    is let Samsung repair it for $70 : Obviously if you're over
    the warranty they won't repair it for free..
    So the decision is yours

Oops! @Tim1954: You flight..5mins ago this question
    wasn't answered - Haha! Hope the OP take our advice
    04-09-2017 10:31 PM
    Love my note 5, but I dropped it and the LCD is no longer working. I am over the warranty period and do not have insurance on it. My screen is in perfect condition and not cracked at all!! Local shops are asking $250 - $300 to replace the screen and LCD and they cannot fix just the LCD. I contacted Samsung and they said they can fix the LCD for $70 which was questionable to me. Anyone have any experience with fixing a broken LCD???
    Looking at used phones for sale on swappa.com you can get a replacement Note 5 for around that same $250-300 estimate. As for that $70 quote, sounds more like it was just for parts, not necessarily the total for the repair.
    https://swappa.com/search?q=galaxy+n...cUvbUpU5751947

Here's a guide on if you feel up to DIY and you've got the proper tools:
    https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Samsung...lacement/51170

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Sams...Teardown/51083

You mentioned that your dropped it. If you can still hear it go through its usual start up sounds when you restart it that's at least an indicator the damage was hopefully limited to the display. If not, that might mean something else inside the phone was affected.
    Also, if you can hear the start up sounds, the problem might not be the display was damaged but perhaps the little press-fit ribbon connector that connects the LCD and/or digitizer to the motherboard just got dislodged in the fall. If you re-seat both connectors (see step 9 in that last 'tear down' link) and things are working again at least that saves the hassle of replacing parts.
    04-09-2017 10:45 PM
    Thanks for the replies. I'm going to send it to Samsung and will keep you all posted. Thanks again!
    BergerKing likes this.
    04-10-2017 04:38 AM
    Thanks for the replies. I'm going to send it to Samsung and will keep you all posted. Thanks again!
    How did it go? i had a similar situation and it cost me $180 to send it to Samsung for repair. Mine fell out of my pocket, so dropped about 3 ft and destroyed the digitizer. Then the repaired one fell out of my pocket kneeling on the ground, so fell less than a ft. Cracked LCD in just about the same place. Crazy how weak these are. At least its working with this crack.
    05-24-2017 03:44 PM
    How did it go? i had a similar situation and it cost me $180 to send it to Samsung for repair. Mine fell out of my pocket, so dropped about 3 ft and destroyed the digitizer. Then the repaired one fell out of my pocket kneeling on the ground, so fell less than a ft. Cracked LCD in just about the same place. Crazy how weak these are. At least its working with this crack.
    They are not weak, you just have bad luck. My wife drops hers all the time. And sometimes it's like 4 feet.
    ejcrossl likes this.
    05-26-2017 05:46 AM
    And that bad luck has cost me the ability to trade it in for a Note 8 for 50% off
    09-15-2017 12:27 PM
    And that bad luck has cost me the ability to trade it in for a Note 8 for 50% off
    What? .com
    09-17-2017 11:59 AM