New Nougat Update - FACTORY RESET IT!

anon(522296)

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
For all of you guys having problems, do yourself a favor and factory reset after you get Nougat and utilize the new file system. If you don't you are running Nougat on the marshmallow file system. If you do a factory reset fresh the phone will run as designed and will not only be fast but you should expect a 20% bump in battery life. I ran 5 hours 10 min of SOT today, first day with Nougat because I wasn't too lazy to factory reset it, I could only get 3+ hours prior so if your looking for a new device do the update correctly instead of dirty flashing the new system.

jeremyds45

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
For all of you guys having problems, do yourself a favor and factory reset after you get Nougat and utilize the new file system. If you don't you are running Nougat on the marshmallow file system. If you do a factory reset fresh the phone will run as designed and will not only be fast but you should expect a 20% bump in battery life. I ran 5 hours 10 min of SOT today, first day with Nougat because I wasn't too lazy to factory reset it, I could only get 3+ hours prior so if your looking for a new device do the update correctly instead of dirty flashing the new system.

Can you confirm that just a factory reset will change the file system to F2FS? Can you provide a screenshot of Discinfo for us? And are you running a carrier branded note 5? Thanks

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
OP... as you suggested, unless the phone is corrupted...

There is no chance in hell that I'm doing a factory reset!

Phone is running fine... resets take Hours and are a pain in the You- know-what!.

myandroidgs6

Apr 27, 2016
Visit site
OP... as you suggested, unless the phone is corrupted...

There is no chance in hell that I'm doing a factory reset!

Phone is running fine... resets take Hours and are a pain in the You- know-what!.

Same here ... My N5 works flawlessly after update... :)
It will take me 2 days to get everything back to the way i like ...

And yes ... It's gonna be the last leg that I could pull ... "Factory reset...!"

How do you guys check file system ...?

Last edited:

henderjr

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

I did a factory reset a few hours ago and went through the whole pain setting everything back up. I was having some random reboots once and a while since the update to Nougat. Anyway it did not change my file system. It's still ext4.. Sprint Note 5

jeremyds45

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
I did a factory reset a few hours ago and went through the whole pain setting everything back up. I was having some random reboots once and a while since the update to Nougat. Anyway it did not change my file system. It's still ext4.. Sprint Note 5

My apologies, wrong person. Thanks for the information. Did you notice improved battery life after?

Last edited:

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
To be frank, I always recommend a factory reset after every major OS update.

Yes, it's a pain to set everything up, but IMO, it's a minor inconvenience for a better overall experience for the next year or so.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Is there documentation from Samsung about the factory reset requirement to get the new filesystem?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Can you confirm that just a factory reset will change the file system to F2FS?

I don't think a reset would do this. This isn't too dissimilar from doing a fresh install of Windows, and in that there is no option of changing the file system. That would only be done upon a complete reformat.

rjr1049

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
FWIW, I did a factory reset after seeing crashes in Google Maps and Android Play services after I did the upgrade. Yes it is a PITA but the phone now runs very well (no crashes of any kind) and battery usage is much improved. I can get through the entire day without charging the battery. So even though the factory reset was annoying to do, it really seems to have paid off for me. As always, YMMV.

underway99

Trusted Member
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
FWIW, I did a factory reset after seeing crashes in Google Maps and Android Play services after I did the upgrade. Yes it is a PITA but the phone now runs very well (no crashes of any kind) and battery usage is much improved. I can get through the entire day without charging the battery. So even though the factory reset was annoying to do, it really seems to have paid off for me. As always, YMMV.

It's good to hear someone not complaining about what is often the best way to fix the issues that often come with loading a new OS.

You're right, it is a pain. But it can be a small price for a slick-running phone.

vm81

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
I did factory reset this morning as well. While setting up phone again is not entirely painless, it is totally worth it if it even makes slight difference to the performance.

I will update if I think its making a difference to the battery.

jeremyds45

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
I did factory reset this morning as well. While setting up phone again is not entirely painless, it is totally worth it if it even makes slight difference to the performance.

I will update if I think its making a difference to the battery.

That'd be great, let us know. After the update and no factory reset I'm having absolutely no problems that I can tell, performance is better, fingerprint scanner is faster, 3ca is so nice to have. But if I can have better battery life by a decent amount, I would do a factory reset

Melfunn

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
At first, cache partition wipe seemed to clean up problems. BUT, this morning, settings menu would not scroll. Did factory reset and that cleaned up glitches.