"Software update is temporarily unavailable" and Verizon HD will not activate

gorgalis

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I am having a few problems with a Verizon Note 5, all of which seem to be related.

I am unable to download the Nougat update, when I try to open system updates, I get the "Software update is temporarily unavailable" notification.

In what seems to be related, I tried to activate HD voice, it tells me to reset, and afterwards nothing has changed. It wants me to activate it again and reboot. Calls also seem to have difficulty connecting.

I tried swapping sim cards with a s7 edge that works but that did not correct the errors.

underway99

Trusted Member
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I've had that "software update..." message. In my case, it was because I was updating a device before activating it on my line. If the system doesn't recognize that your phone is part of Big Red's network, it won't be able to access their update server. Once it's activated, it will grab updates even without a SIM.

The HD voice issue has, for me, normally meant contacting CS. One time, they sent me a new SIM and all was good. The problem with calls could also be related to the SIM registration. I know that you said you've tried a working SIM. Apparently they have multiple types of nano-SIM and they're programmed differently. I've seen that a working SIM from a similar phone and region may not work in my device where a new one does. Go figure.

Oh, one more thing. If you have blocked or disabled MY VERIZON, MY VERIZON SERVICES, and/or VERIZON LOGIN, enable or unblock them before you call CS. Once you get everything working, you can disable them again.