Worth Buying "New/(Other)" Note 5 Off Ebay?

Targatheory

Banned
May 13, 2011
Visit site
In a pickle here guys.

I am stuck between the S8+ or the Note 5. I used to own a N5 for half a year when it was first released, but after losing it had to downgrade to a used HTC One M7.

Now, I'm looking at the S8+, but really because it's the closest to the upcoming Note 8. I loved the Note 5 but feel a bit disparate spending hundreds on a used unit now that the model is "old".

I'm looking at the "New/Other" options on Ebay by seller -theGizmotrader-
He has Note 5s that are advertised as "Brand New" for 394$.

Now, I'm worried about battery life above all things. If these units really are "new" then doesn't that mean the battery will have never cycled through charges ranging from 0-100% and thus just be left stagnate and degrading over the last 1.5 years? How well would these current batteries perform given their life cycle would essentially start right now as opposed to 1.5 years ago when they were built? Any difference? Would this actually be an advantage over other units that have been using their batteries since 2015?

I need to know this in case I go with the Note 5 again, as 400$ plus accessories is much better than 850$ plus another 100$ on accessories for the S8+.

Another note, what do you think would be the better option to begin with? 1.) Buy Note 5 now, sell later to get Note 8? or 2.) Buy S8+ now, and sell it later for the Note 8? Which will have more value to sell/demand from people 6 months from now?

Sorry for the long post, but this is killing me. Thanks.

cogic740

Sep 27, 2015
Visit site
If your current smartphone work fine, wait for Note 8 and compare Note and S8+. Figure which is best for you. Buying the Note 5 would be gamble since you don't know it's true condition.

underway99

Trusted Member
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
$394 for a "brand new" Note 5? Samsung supposedly stopped production of the Note 5 last summer/fall as the Note 7 fiasco was raging. Assuming that the one you're looking at is one of the last produced, you could be looking at a gem.

However, I have read of people buying phones at what looked to be great deals only to discover after the sale that they are models produced for one part of the world but flashed for North American carriers. If you're in the US, try getting factory-authorized service on a device made for the Korean or EMEA markets that's potentially been flashed with an OS that may or may not work right. Sometimes, that phone will report that it's been rooted. That means no Samsung Pay along with other apps that don't work on rooted devices.

I would urge caution with the eBay deal. Used Note 5s are going for $300-$400 on Swappa, depending on carrier and RAM. There is probably a reason that the seller isn't asking more than he could get for a used device.

You asked about the battery and the possibility that it's been sitting for a while. I suspect that a new battery left uncharged might be difficult to charge at first, but its capacity is likely still going to be better than a battery that has been cycled for a year and a half once you get it going. Having said that, my replacement Note 5 was built in October 2015 and refurbished in February of this year, and it's battery health is at 79%. I don't know how long it sat in a warehouse, but my carrier doesn't typically replace the battery in its refurbs so I expect that it is original. I'll take a capacity deterioration rate of 1 to 1.5% per month over 18+ months on a battery that's had some use.

Last edited:

Targatheory

Banned
May 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm in love with the IDEA of the S Pen. In truth, I never used it for much more than a few games and a few functions for work. I'm gonna have to go with S8+ for now, sell when the Note 8 comes out.

underway99

Trusted Member
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
You may be surprised and not miss the S Pen at all. My wife liked the idea of the S Pen better than actually using it. She got away from it entirely when her Note 4 died and she was using another device for a few days. Now she's very happy using what was my S7 Edge and not missing the S Pen at all.

Kendahl Titcomb

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site
The S Pen is probably to one reason I decided to stick with my Note over moving on to another phone. The productivity with the s pen has allowed me to sign documents and do legal paperwork right from my phone and do emails that would other wise need a printer/scanner or fax machine. It's hands down an awesome phone that would last another 18 months+ if taken care of.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol